Honors Thesis as Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sshashid87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I just had a question about listing my honors thesis as research. My thesis did not involve lab work, it was essentially a massive lit. review of nanotechnology in cancer therapies done over the course of a year...result was a 60 page thesis which won an award for outstanding thesis research (with the award my thesis will be published online thorugh the university)...

since this didn't really result in a peer-reviewed journal article or anything like that, can i still put this down? Does it still count as research?

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

From the description you've given, I don't think that your thesis-level literature review is "Research" of the kind intended by the category of the AMCAS experiences section. However it is an important experience to list. You could consider listing it under "Publications," or "Awards and Honors", or "Other," as some possibilities.

Agree with above. I think you should call the Honors Thesis an Honors Thesis. That's not really any better or worse than calling it research, it just is what it is. People will know that a lot of lit review and research in the informal, non-lab sense went into it, so it will still help your application. But it confuses the situation to refer to it as AMCAS Research, in my opinion.

Alright cool, thanks...Yeah, I don't want to try and pass it off as something it's not, but it was a lot of work and I was hoping that I could list it somewhere, so if I can list it under some other title, that's great. Appreciate both responses, gonna have to go and make a few quick changes in AMCAS...thanks again, good luck with your apps!