Honors vs. Major Science Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modernistic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'd just like to have your opinion on whether it is best to invest your time in either an intensive honors program or doing a major while pursuing electives in other areas of study.

It is possible to still get the research experience during summers with the major program, and with that you will have more time to expand on learning other things that you will probably not have time to do it again. The only difference is that you won't be able to claim that 'Honors' degree. Does this really matter? At the moment, it seems like more of a personal thing.

In my situation right now, for my first two years of undergrad, I was not able to take any arts electives (currently taking Chemistry) and so I feel very unbalanced. This year I will be able to squeeze in two arts electives per semester...so by the time I apply I will only have 4 courses...which is not good, but the best I can do.

If I decide to take honors, practically all my last year courses will be Chemistry, which appears to be very concentrated. Is this a major problem for admissions? While if I take the Major program, I will be able to take 2 electives per semester, but by then, I would already know whether I was accepted or not by med schools. I'm really just unsure of which path to take, any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

for your own intellectual curiosity (eww) honors is a good path.

just know that all that extra work will probably go unnoticed during the application process.

I would go with the path that allowed the most freedom in course selection. What kind of coursework does your honors program include? If the classes sound interesting, sure, why not? Otherwise, stick to the major option and take electives in philosophy, writing, ethics, and so on. You can probably still take honors courses if the topics interest you.

Two things about putting all your chips on honors courses: depending on the style of "honors" courses at your school (i.e., easy "A" with good classroom participation vs. 100 pages of reading each night), your grades may suffer unnecessarily. Also, don't think adcoms are going to make a big fuss about your honors classes. You may work your butt off to earn a B, but adcoms have no way of knowing you worked harder than the next applicant with an "A" in a similar class.