Hopeful DO...with a 3.2 overall 3.0sc what do i need for my mcat???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bull2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I am going into my senior year, i will be applying to medical school at the end of next year (end of senior year). I have a 3.2 overal gpa and a 3.0sc gpa which i can hopefully get up a bit by the time I apply.
I am currently taking the MCAT prep course and orgo II, i will now discuss my MCAT journey so far...
Diagnostic: 17 (7/5/5)
One month later: FL1: 22 (9/6/7)
Two weeks after that (today) FL2: 25 (9/8/8) Ps/V/Bs

I am a Biology major and would like to get into a DO school i have about 40 days until my MCAT so i hope to raise my score from the FL2 I took today but we will see. Anyways i also have about 60 hours of clinical volunteering dealing with patients at a hospital, and also two months of helping with research with a physiology professor at my university.

My question is how do I stack up to get into DO school? Any advice is greatly appreciated as well as other stories and current or past mcat journeys, thanks and good luck to all of you future doctors out there!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say, try to aim for a 27.

I would say, try to aim for a 27.
Way too low when the average is 26 to 27. OP is a few standard deviations below the average GPA of 3.47/3.3. Before aiming for a high MCAT score, the OP needs to consider some post-bacc work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! so with a 27 I have a shot?

Ah, your right. OP, since the average is around that you should try to aim higher than that to maximize your chances. If you want to do a bit more post bacc work to help your GPA, than a 27 may do it. But if not, just focus on studying for the MCAT and try to aim high on your score.

Well I hope by the time I graduate I will have around a 3.3 overall and a 3.1 sc, also i might take some classes over again to raise my sc gpa, idk i will see after my mcat. Although I have heard of people getting into DO with my stats...I know they are not good but they could be worse.

Thanks for the reply! so with a 27 I have a shot?
No. You need to be above the average in MCAT because you're below the average on GPA. I'd say aim for a minimum of 30.

Well I hope by the time I graduate I will have around a 3.3 overall and a 3.1 sc, also i might take some classes over again to raise my sc gpa, idk i will see after my mcat. Although I have heard of people getting into DO with my stats...I know they are not good but they could be worse.
People have even gotten into MD with your stats. However, a lot of people also don't get in with your stats. It's about maximizing your chances and you attending a college you may like instead of being stuck with an acceptance at I-don't-like-COM.

Are the EC's of the OP sufficient for DO schools given the GPA/MCAT(Expected)? Are there any kind of resources out that provide averages, most commonly done EC's, etc.?

@ leggo, yea i do realize i cannot get the avg and have a good shot of getting in bc i am below avg in my gpa, but people with my gpa and an MCAT of 30 have gotten into MD schools so I dont want to feel like im hopeless lol

No. You need to be above the average in MCAT because you're below the average on GPA. I'd say aim for a minimum of 30.

People have even gotten into MD with your stats. However, a lot of people also don't get in with your stats. It's about maximizing your chances and you attending a college you may like instead of being stuck with an acceptance at I-don't-like-COM.

:xf: :thumbup:

@ Triage, I appreciate you taking the time to further explain and hey if i could pick i would love a 30+ lol we will have to wait and see i still have about 40 days left before my test its time to get to the grind stone hopefully i will get there.

that was clever btw the i dont like com (lol)

No, not at all. I'm not saying you have no chance. I think you have a chance at DO, but obv alot rides on your MCAT. I think with your current stats, a nice upward trend, and a solid MCAT, you should be able to get a acceptance. Just focus on the MCAT, and try your best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks leggo, I will keep posted on here how my orgo 2 class is going and how my FL practice exam scores come out as they happen, just in case any one cares to know :), i really appreciate all the input!

No problem, Bull. Some more A's, solid EC, and MCAT and it's definitely within your chances to get into a D.O. college.

Took another FL yesterday unfortunately i went down one point from last FL,
Combined= 24 8/8/8/ PS/V/BS, but I wasn't able to study very much for it with taking organic.
Good news is I took my first organic test
Grade: A- three more to go.
Looking at the next month I need to really buckle down on the MCAT studying really hit my weaknesses and really practice my critical thinking! Hopefully by the beginning of August I will be getting 28-29.

Keep taking practice tests and maybe review some science material to get it down! I kept taking practice tests and had an upward trend until I peaked around a 36..ended up with 33. Also, my GPA is low as well and I have to take courses this coming fall to help it out a little. I'd say get more volunteering hours, do research, study MCAT, do well in school, and everything else in your power!!

@GMcguitar, I was wondering what your diagnostic was and what were your FL exam scores in order just to see if i can get mine up in a little over a month, thanks for your comment! GOODLUCK :)

Well you could say im less than happy I took the AAMC3 practice MCAT and
8/8/8 24 is my score yet again.
Tomorrow I am gonna spend atleast 5 hours going back through the test to see what is going on.
In total my percent correct was like 67% i dont know how to see how close I am to getting 9's in each section? can anyone help

Well you could say im less than happy I took the AAMC3 practice MCAT and
8/8/8 24 is my score yet again.
Tomorrow I am gonna spend atleast 5 hours going back through the test to see what is going on.
In total my percent correct was like 67% i dont know how to see how close I am to getting 9's in each section? can anyone help
Go to the MCAT forum. There's a lot of smart people there that can help you. Your score is balanced at least.

I dont know what to do im taking orgo right now and have my test scheduled for August 23rd, i dont know if i should reschedule it or if i should just keep grinding, has anyone gotten there score up 3-4 points in a month? with my gpa i need atleast a 28 to have a shot

I missed a 9 in PS by one question Bio missed it by 2 and verbal missed it by 1......Ah the MCAT is a glorioud creature created to make me go crazy lol

i totally understand!!
i took mcat three times over the four years, 24--> 29--> 33
i think what really improved my score was thorough post practice mcat review, take more time to review the test than the actual test time. you can see where your weaknesses are and what mistakes you are making..
good luck!!

You say you took the MCAT over 4 years? When did you start taking it junior year? Also did you get accepted into a medical school with your 33? I might just study really hard for the mcat and try really hard my last year of undergrad and if i cant get my grades where i want them do a Post Bach

Hey everyone I recently took a short break from studying to enjoy my 21st birthday but im back and reenergized especially because i just took a section test and got a 10 on it! wahoo

I was in the same boat as you. I have 3.14 cGPA and 2.96 sGPA (getting these up by retaking classes this fall). Fortunately, I got a 33Q on my MCAT so I am praying to get an acceptance this cycle.

Best of luck to you. On my MCAT, there was a lot less Ochem than I was anticipating, and I miraculously pulled out a 13 on PS when my average was 10-11.

I was in the same boat as you. I have 3.14 cGPA and 2.96 sGPA (getting these up by retaking classes this fall). Fortunately, I got a 33Q on my MCAT so I am praying to get an acceptance this cycle.

Best of luck to you. On my MCAT, there was a lot less Ochem than I was anticipating, and I miraculously pulled out a 13 on PS when my average was 10-11.

I'm kinda round the same boat. I have a c.gpa 3.3. and scigpa prob recalculated around a 3.0. My undergrad was extremely hard. But i was a double major, dual research positions, and I'm doing a master's this coming year in sports med.
However, I'm applying right now for entrance 2012.

What are my chances? My mcat is this friday. I've been scoring around 28's 27's.. Should I apply all DO? Or shoot for an MD?

Hey guys just here for an update,
Organic 2 is done and it was the worst 6 weeks of my life, I got a B+ in the class but also am getting a letter of recommendation from the professor :).
As far as MCAT studying goes it was really hard to do MCAT and orgo so I did slack a little bit, but I figured I was studying organic so it was helping.
I just took a practice MCAT today AAMC #4 and got a 27.

AAMC #4
PS/V/BS= 8/9/10
This is kind of strnage bc i usually get 9's in PS but none the less i went up!
so my trend is up but my test is in like 5 days :/.

Hopefully i can manage one or two more points on test day im going to be doing nothing but studying for the MCAT for this next 5 days and hopefully it will make the difference!

If anyone has any information about the LECOM post bach program i would be happy to be informed i am just curious if I cannot get into the DO school if my stats are strong for the POST bach program, thanks in advance.

If anyone has any information about the LECOM post bach program i would be happy to be informed i am just curious if I cannot get into the DO school if my stats are strong for the POST bach program, thanks in advance.
I don't know much about the post-bacc besides the hearsay that being above 3.0 is pretty much enough to get in.

Ya depending on what my gpa is at the end of this year (my senior year) and what I get on the MCAT will determine which route I will pursue. I just wish I had the motivation and ambition that I have now in the beginning of college. However there is no time for shoulda', coulda', woulda's its all about the here and now and Im doing everything in my power to make up for it!

Well scores are in and im pretty dissappointed...26Q.
I believe this just set my fate for going post-bach at Lecom which im not to dissappointed about but I just wish I would of done better.
Just incase any one was wondering my breakdown was as follows...

9PS 9V 8B Q writing
Total:26Q

If anyone thinks it is possible for me to get into a DO please give me some feedback because if not im going to try to get into a post bach. Thanks again for all your feedback!

Hello,

I'm sorry you didn't get the result you wanted. However, I still think you have a decent shot at DO. True it would have been better to get a higher score, but you improved to a 26 and with your 3.2, that may be enough for a acceptance. Be sure to apply broadly though. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry to hear the MCAT wasn't what you hoped for. I know it's disappointing not getting the score you think you need for an acceptance.

On the other hand, I do agree that it's still possible for you to get a DO acceptance THIS cycle, however the likelihood is small, especially if you haven't started the application process yet. You probably wouldn't be complete until the middle of November at best. If you choose this route, my advice is to act quickly. The fact is that you would need something to stick out in your EC's/PS/secondary essays since your MCAT is average and GPA signficantly below average. Having said that, I personally would give it a shot if I were you and apply broadly (especially to schools with low average GPA's) this cycle if you can afford it. If you fail, you can still do the post-bac and boost your GPA and maybe retake the MCAT, then re-apply again next year with better chances, a little experience with the application process, and a previous app to build off of.

Thanks for the support people! My plan was to not apply until next cycle anyways and either take a year off or do a post bach with a linker program of acceptance like LECOM. So do you guys think it is worthwhile to apply next cycle and if I do not get accepted to do the post bach program and gain admission that route? Thanks again for all your opinions and help.

Yeah, you should def apply for the next cycle. Like I said before, I think you have a good shot at DO and you may be able to get that acceptance as long as you apply broadly. If it doesn't work out, I'm pretty sure you'll have no problem getting into the LECOM post-bacc if thats what you want to do. But all in all, your plan is pretty sound.

So today I emailed Jamie Murphy from LECOM admissions, and he told me that he would apply this cycle to see if I can gain an interview and then if not do the post bach...Now I am freaking out because I did not plan on it because I didnt even think it would be a possibility. So I was wondering what I have to do as in the steps to apply for this year (clearly broken down each step). I just want to know what I would have to do to still apply this year. I understand it is a long shot but he gave me some hope so if someone could give me a detailed breakdown of the steps and all necessary things I would GREATLY APPRECIATE IT! thanks

So today I emailed Jamie Murphy from LECOM admissions, and he told me that he would apply this cycle to see if I can gain an interview and then if not do the post bach...Now I am freaking out because I did not plan on it because I didnt even think it would be a possibility. So I was wondering what I have to do as in the steps to apply for this year (clearly broken down each step). I just want to know what I would have to do to still apply this year. I understand it is a long shot but he gave me some hope so if someone could give me a detailed breakdown of the steps and all necessary things I would GREATLY APPRECIATE IT! thanks

Dude calm the hell down all you need is a 28+ on the MCAT and with that same GPA you will get into A DO school.

Sorry, I'm not as familiar with DO schools as I am MD schools, but I believe the application method is similar. Fill out AAMCOS, and send it out immediately. Its pretty late I believe, but if you want to give it a shot this cycle, than go for it.

Dude calm the hell down all you need is a 28+ on the MCAT and with that same GPA you will get into A DO school.
28 is the average MCAT for accepted DO students. The average GPA is now close to 3.5 and sGPA around 3.35.

So with a below average GPA, I don't think a 28 will cut it.

28 is the average MCAT for accepted DO students. The average GPA is now close to 3.5 and sGPA around 3.35.

So with a below average GPA, I don't think a 28 will cut it.

Keep in mind average means some DO schools are notably lower then 3.5 and 28 while some schools are notably higher. So wouldn't he he have a shot at the lower end assuming his MCAT is decent?

Keep in mind average means some DO schools are notably lower then 3.5 and 28 while some schools are notably higher. So wouldn't he he have a shot at the lower end assuming his MCAT is decent?

Maybe some of the lowest schools, but anyways, why aim for the bare minimum???? To the OP: DON'T set a limit for yourself.

First thing, do you have a letter of recommendation from a DO? If not, that is going to make things very difficult. You basically need one of these to have a chance, or at a bare minimum an MD letter, but this will limit your chances when you need to be maximizing them. Bottom line... get a DO letter if you don't have one. Call every single DO within driving distance and find one you can shadow if you haven't done this already. Then get the rest of your letters lined up. To qualify for most schools you'll need either a pre-medical committee packet or a science professor recommendation at the minimum, in addition to the DO letter.

Secondly, have your transcripts sent to AACOMAS and release your MCAT electronically to them. DO THIS ASAP! Transcripts are the rate limiting factor (besides LOR's). While you're waiting for your transcripts to arrive, work furiously to fill out the application and write your personal statement. Don't sacrifice quality for the sake of time though. Hopefully by the time your transcripts arrive, you'll have everything in your app filled out and you can submit and pay.

Next step is verification which will take 5-6 weeks. Then the schools will start sending you secondary applications and request LOR's. Fill out the secondaries asap and make sure your letters are ready to be sent from Interfolio by this time. This will probably be happening in late November best case scenario, otherwise December. If you get any interviews, they will be in 2012 and many of the spots will already be taken, but that doesn't mean you won't have a chance. Many people interview late and get in.

I encourage you to apply because you just might get in. Since you'll be putting in all this work, you might as well apply broadly. Your chances aren't great, but A LOT will depend on your EC's, volunteer work, research, clinical experience, shadowing, LOR's, personal statement, secondary essays, and the amount of schools you apply to as to whether or not you get any interviews. Your stats aren't so bad that they can't be overcome by a great PS and good solid EC's. Good luck!

Retake, apply next year.

Thank you to all who have responded you insight has been great! I wanted to send a special thankyou to a runner, and to explain in short why I am applying is because I was just going to do the LECOM postbach program and hopefully get in that way, however I decided why not give it a shot worst thing that can happen is I stay on track with the post bach :). I know my grades are stellar but i do have an uppward trend which is good. Also to comment on the MCAT about me asking about the 27, trust me I was not aiming for a 27 I was aiming for a 37! But as things go I was taking organic 2 while studying for it and I got what I got so I wish I did better but Im working with what I got. Once again guys and girls thanks for all your help and I will keep updating as necessary.

I have two quick question, I have to send my transcripts asap and my first question is for my first year of undergrad i attended a florida state school and now I attend another state school in a different state which I will be graduating from; my question is do I have to send two different transcripts one from each university, or can I send just the one from my current Univerrsity? My second question is I would like my current classes im taking to be considered in my gpa how can I send them once I finish this semester or will that be to late? Thanks again guys you are awsome!!!!!

1) I have to send my transcripts asap and my first question is for my first year of undergrad i attended a florida state school and now I attend another state school in a different state which I will be graduating from; my question is do I have to send two different transcripts one from each university, or can I send just the one from my current Univerrsity?

2) My second question is I would like my current classes im taking to be considered in my gpa how can I send them once I finish this semester or will that be to late? Thanks again guys you are awsome!!!!!
1) You are obliged to send an offical copy of both transcripts, even if the second school accepted the credits in transfer from the first.

2) Once verified, if you send an official transcript to AACOMAS after fall grades come out, they will update each school for you. But don't wait for that if you are set on applying this season. Send in your current transcripts now, as it will be a long time before your transcripts are verified (6+ weeks, I believe) and you need to get things moving.

Thanks catalysk I know you have helped me out before I appreciate it once again.

No that is with math I actually just put in my courses into the AACOMAS courrses and it is giving me a much lower sgpa, does it not take into account math, behavioral science, or what is going on here?