Hopeful DO...with a 3.2 overall 3.0sc what do i need for my mcat???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No that is with math I actually just put in my courses into the AACOMAS courrses and it is giving me a much lower sgpa, does it not take into account math, behavioral science, or what is going on here?
Behavioral Science shouldn't count for AMCAS or AACOMAS. Math, on the other hand, should count for AMCAS but not AACOMAS.

Members don't see this ad.

Damn my sgpa is lower now its like a 2.92 and that is trying to force biopsychology into the bio category

Damn my sgpa is lower now its like a 2.92 and that is trying to force biopsychology into the bio category
Chances are it'll be rejected under PSYCH, so I'd anticipate a lower sGPA. At that point, I'd recommend not applying until you hit the 3.0 because school's automatic cutoffs will slice you.

Members don't see this ad :)
after this semester it will be above a 3.0, should i still apply?

Oh man. Mine is the other way around. Mines is .34 higher without math. Math for me is a killer. :(

after this semester it will be above a 3.0, should i still apply?
For what it's worth, LECOM's cutoff is 2.7 so if that's your goal, a 2.9X may still be looked at, and will probably be acceptable for the postbac.

I got A- in both Calc 1 and Calc 2, and ya i wont be applying to the post bach until after i graduate but I was gonna try ot apply to their DO school just to see but now that i know my science is sub 3.0 i dont think its worth it

I got A- in both Calc 1 and Calc 2, and ya i wont be applying to the post bach until after i graduate but I was gonna try ot apply to their DO school just to see but now that i know my science is sub 3.0 i dont think its worth it
It's too late for LECOM with <3.0. Had it been June, I would have said you had some odds of winning.

Here's what you need to do, IMO.

1. Look to see if there are ANY science classes you can retake and do that between now and summer. Don't try to just bring your sGPA up by taking other science classes, retaking will make it go higher faster. With that said, load up on science classes that you KNOW you can do well in. Don't take unnecessary risks by signing up for Advanced Mechanisms in Organic Chemistry or something ridiculous like that.

2. You are severely lacking in your ECs. That, combined with your low grades is what's going to kill you. Spend the next 10 months racking up some hours getting clinical experience. Since you are going DO, clinical exp is much more important than research. Volunteer some more. And not just doing something lame like the ER. Do something that you can talk about proudly in an interview.

3. Don't bother retaking the MCAT. There are a lot of schools that will accept you with that score if you can get that sGPA above a 3.1 and if you have stellar ECs.

4. Plan on having everything you need done and ready to go by June, including LORs that you know are awesome and have secondary apps filled out (most schools have these available online) for schools that you have thoroughly researched, so that when Opening Day arrives, you are ready to roll.

Good luck to ya!

Thanks do you think I should just do the post bach or should I try to bump up my grades by retaking a couple classes this summer and go for DO and taking a year off? Im just afraid if I take a year off I will get out of the swing of things. Especially with LECOMS whole everyone who goes through post bach with 3.0 and above and not failing any classes is garenteed an interview...

I wouldn't bother doing post-bach. It may give you an interview, but that's only at one school (although I've never heard of that), and it certainly doesn't guarantee an acceptance. I think at this point it's more important to boost your GPA. That way you will be attractive to more schools.

Can you retake some of your science classes this coming spring? If so, I would do that so that you can put those retakes on your application. If you are worried about finishing your degree, save those classes for summer or go another semester to finish. If necessary and possible, do additional retakes the first summer session, and submit your app once you get your new grade back in early July. What's important now is to raise that GPA by the time you submit your application. You'll have a whole year between applying and matriculating, you could always finish your degree then.

I completely agree. I don't think a formal post bac at LECOM will be any better than simply retaking classes you've done poorly in. In fact, you'll raise your GPA more quickly by retaking any D's and F's, and then C's than you would in a post-bac and the ADCOMS will care more about overall and science GPA than seeing that you did a formal post-bac at LECOM. The LECOM guaranteed interview doesn't mean much unless that is your #1... since you could raise your GPA and have several interviews (including LECOM, without doing their post-bac).

Also, EC's, volunteering, and clinical exposure/shadowing are going to be very important for you, given your stats. I'd focus on those and raising your cGPA and sGPA to at least 3.4 each.

My advice:

Calm down man. You want to apply this cycle, LECOM tells you to apply this cycle, you start running around like a chicken with your head cut off trying to figure out how to apply, and now you're not applying. Take a deep breath. That's the first step.

1) Don't apply this year. For sure. With the sub 3.0 GPA, that's a no-brainer. Instead, relax. Plan out your next year so that you can hit the ground running on June 1st (the 1st day AACOMAS applications can be submitted). Keep in mind you can start filling out your application in May, including having your transcripts sent in and all the information filled out so that all you have to do on June 1st is click "Send" and pay the bill.

2) Retake your MCAT. With your year off, you have more than enough time to dedicate SOLELY to studying for the MCAT. Score a 30+, it will make a huge difference. I have similar GPA stats (3.26 cGPA, 3.08 sGPA), but my 32Q MCAT is what has been keeping me afloat this application cycle. Even if you just hit a 30, that's fine, but like it was previously said, aim higher. I was scoring in the range of 36-41 on the week before my exam, and I only scored a 32 on the real thing, so definitely aim higher than a 30.

3) Retake some of your classes. There's a GPA calculator floating around SDN, I'm not sure where it is, but a simple search will help you find it. I don't know specifically how many science credits you have, but as a science major with 80/120 credits being calculated into my sGPA, retaking 3 C+s would have changed my 3.08 sGPA to a 3.36 sGPA, which is a HUGE difference. Try to get to a 3.4 cGPA/3.3sGPA. It should not take more than one semester to do this.

4) Shadow a DO. Pretty straightforward - you will need a DO letter for consideration at a fair number of universities.

5) Last piece of advice: Be wary of getting advice from schools. Doing a post-bacc at LECOM will be what they advise, but they are also getting your business for doing your post-bach there. You can do your post-bach anywhere. Also, they will tell you to apply because you will pay their application fees, which is just more money in your pocket. Play it smart. Strengthen your application and apply to get in to YOUR top choice. If that's LECOM, then great. But don't sell yourself short!

Follow those steps, and apply early and broadly next cycle, and you will have a great application cycle. Good luck! :thumbup:

2) Retake your MCAT. With your year off, you have more than enough time to dedicate SOLELY to studying for the MCAT. Score a 30+, it will make a huge difference. I have similar GPA stats (3.26 cGPA, 3.08 sGPA), but my 32Q MCAT is what has been keeping me afloat this application cycle. Even if you just hit a 30, that's fine, but like it was previously said, aim higher. I was scoring in the range of 36-41 on the week before my exam, and I only scored a 32 on the real thing, so definitely aim higher than a 30.
:

Has the OP graduated yet? If not, he would probably be wiser to spend the next year getting that GPA above a 3.2 by retaking classes and boosting ECs rather than spending time studying for the MCAT. I know plenty of people who have got into med school with a 26. In fact, I think that's around LECOMs average.

If he can get his sGPA up by 0.4 points, have an average MCAT, and has really good ECs, he should have no problems getting an interview, and an acceptance seems likely as well, at least somewhere as long as he interviews well.

Thanks again for all the replies, I have decided I am not going to apply this cycle number 1. Now I have to see what my next route is, I am not going to retake the MCAT bc my gpa is farther off from the norm then my MCAT (granted it is not great it is ok). Next I need to decide whether to do a formal post bach:

Pros: for formal post bach
-garenteed interview
-experience with MS1 professors
-experience with the course work of MS1 students
-Confidence coming out of it that I can make it in medical school

Cons: for formal post bach
-expensive
-no garenteed acceptance
-harder I believe then raising my Ugrad gpas

Pros: for doing post bach on my own at my university
-cheaper
-easier
-gpa will change more rapidly by retaking rather then compounding more credits

Cons:for doing post bach on my own at my Ugrad University
-risky, no guarenteed interview
-do not get exposed to medical school material
-unfirmilar with how this looks

***thats where I'm at so far everyone as always your input is welcomed and appreciated...thanks