Hopeful MD-PhD Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pipetting_squirrel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get a general idea of what tier I should apply to for my MD-PhD application cycle. I have yet to take my MCAT (scheduled for April 22nd), and have a 3.68 GPA currently (possibly changing, in the talk with a professor about some possible grading issues).

Currently, I am taking a gap year and work as a research technician (since September).

I have 2+ years of undergraduate research experience at my home institute (~2,500 hours and I worked there before starting my new job) and published one paper (second author). I also participated in WashU's AMGEN program the summer after my junior year (~400 hours).

As for LOR I have one from each of my previous three PI's (including my current one, one of whom I had for two semesters) and one from a professor I had for three courses and knew for 3 years. I may also be obtaining a committee letter from my undergraduate university as well as another professor that taught my capstone course.

My clinical experience is pretty low (~20 hours of volunteering), and I have ~20 hours of volunteering at other events.

So what tier MD-PhD schools should I apply to? I'm hoping for a large program, but I don't know if that's feasible with my stats (since most large programs are NIH funded and therefore more desirable since they're MSTP).

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.