Hopkins Bayview vs. Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wordat15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've seen a lot of posts comparing Hopkins Bayview to Osler and Sinai...but I haven't seen anything comparing Hopkins Bayview to UMD. I've heard that you "can't go wrong" with either program (aka they are essentially both strong middle tier programs), but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/opinions about each program?

From what I've heard from others, and from what I've gathered on my interview days, it seems as though Maryland is the more traditional medicine program. Average number of residents. They have a VA and as a second year you rotate at Mercy hospital. The program is notoriously tough, which could be good (high patient volume, interesting cases) and bad. The residents seemed friendly and happy, and the PD is a great advocate.

Bayview is a little different...smaller class size. Although it seemed to have a more "primary care" feel to it, the fellowship match is incredible (better than Maryland's) which is probably due to the fact that you get exposure to Hopkins faculty. You have the option to rotate downtown for a few months each year. Seems as though you don't work as hard as at Maryland, but still tough. The Aliki initiative is interesting...obviously not for everyone, but I found it pretty cool. You also have an EBM month and a med psych month as a PGY-1. Residents were awesome, and the PD was great.

I'm interested in GI for fellowship. Having a lot of trouble deciding between these two programs...any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Neither of them will close any door. IMO, Maryland is a strong mid-tier program just like every other typical university programs around the country.

Bayview is unique with great camaraderie among housestaff and great teaching from world-class geriatricians. Half of the program's are primary care track so there are a lot of emphasis on geriatrics, public health and health policy with lots of resident having MPHs. All attendings are world-class Hopkins faculty (especially Pulm and GI), tertiary care referral center for Rheu, Allergies, Pulm and Card, special pay structure for attendings to encourage teaching on the ward, Aliki, amazing match-list, etc. Those make the program unique and stand-out. For what it's worth, I noticed that a lot of current Bayview residents came from top med schools (Hopkins, Michigan, WashU, UCSF, Penn, UVA, Case, Pitt, UTSW, etc.).

I plan to to rank Bayview very, very high.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the big hoop-la is about Bayview. I first thought it was an amazing program just based on the fellowship match list. However, after talking to many people about it, I feel that the clinical training there is not as strong as everyone thinks. For one, it IS a community hospital. The attendings ARE mostly geriatricians. And you don't get much patient diversity as other large urban, inner city hospitals. The questions for me is this: do i want to sacrifice my only years of internal medicine training just to improve my chances at a competitive fellowship or would I rather learn how to be a superb internist with the most diverse patient population and still get into a fellowship. The choice is easy...Bayview will be on my rank list, but lower than major inner-city hospitals (including Maryland and the d.c. programs).

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellowship matches don't magically happen just because it has a Hopkins name, the residents at Bayview work hard and are well-trained. It terms of clinical rigor, Bayview is definitely more intense its DC counterparts...judging by their intern call schedule and limited elective time: q3 on MICU for 2 months, q4 CICU/CCU for 2-2.5, q4 Wards for 4 months, etc. The DC programs aren't as demanding, some would call them posh. I gather that the reasons why Hopkins Bayview's fellowship match is so strong are: 1) the quality of their incoming housestaff is strong 2) they get to know their attending quite well 3) their attendings are invested in their success 4) PD's know the quality of Hopkins Bayview trained residents 5) they have exposure to tremendous Hopkins research and faculty.

Bayview has a great staff of cardiologists as well and they just were designated a Cardiac Interventional Center :http://baltimore.citybizlist.com/1/...e-for-Emergency-Medical-Services-Systems.aspx

Last edited:
Fellowship matches don't magically happen just because it has a Hopkins name, the residents at Bayview work hard and are well-trained. It terms of clinical rigor, Bayview is definitely more intense its DC counterparts...judging by their intern call schedule and limited elective time: q3 on MICU for 2 months, q4 CICU/CCU for 2-2.5, q4 Wards for 4 months, etc. The DC programs aren't as demanding, some would call them posh. I gather that the reasons why Hopkins Bayview's fellowship match is so strong are: 1) the quality of their incoming housestaff is strong 2) they get to know their attending quite well 3) their attendings are invested in their success 4) PD's know the quality of Hopkins Bayview trained residents 5) they have exposure to tremendous Hopkins research and faculty.

Bayview has a great staff of cardiologists as well and they just were designated a Cardiac Interventional Center :http://baltimore.citybizlist.com/1/...e-for-Emergency-Medical-Services-Systems.aspx

I think the better question is do you want to work hard and get rewarded for putting in time in B'more or do you like fine dining and fancy shops? neither is wrong.

I'm not sure what the big hoop-la is about Bayview. I first thought it was an amazing program just based on the fellowship match list. However, after talking to many people about it, I feel that the clinical training there is not as strong as everyone thinks. For one, it IS a community hospital. The attendings ARE mostly geriatricians. And you don't get much patient diversity as other large urban, inner city hospitals. The questions for me is this: do i want to sacrifice my only years of internal medicine training just to improve my chances at a competitive fellowship or would I rather learn how to be a superb internist with the most diverse patient population and still get into a fellowship. The choice is easy...Bayview will be on my rank list, but lower than major inner-city hospitals (including Maryland and the d.c. programs).

Bayview blows every DC program out of the water.

I was initially considering Maryland highly, but I saw that they had a couple of unmatched spots. Gigantic red flag, or fluke?

IMHO I'd say Bayview has a leg up on Maryland. Maryland probably has a more diverse patient population, a larger program and a pretty awesome PD. But Bayview has the Hopkins research which is hard to beat anywhere in the country, a public health school arguably second to only Harvard and a group of faculty that seems more invested in your success (that's obviously my opinion).

I'm more curious about how people compare Bayview to UVA. I'm thinking they probably have similar patient populations (or a lack of diversity) and place people in very competitive places. But UVA has a 1:1 ratio of intern:resident which I translate into a little better teaching within the program, an optional Master's in clinical Research and no competing medical center in the surrounding area. Plus it seems much cheaper to live in Charlottesville and my general impression of UVA was more relaxed than Bayview. The Bayview resident's I met seemed like they were at 100% all the time.

I was initially considering Maryland highly, but I saw that they had a couple of unmatched spots. Gigantic red flag, or fluke?

I think it was a fluke. I really liked maryland when I interviewed there last year. If it makes you feel better, Emory didn't match last year either and most would consider them a great program.

IMHO I'd say Bayview has a leg up on Maryland. Maryland probably has a more diverse patient population, a larger program and a pretty awesome PD. But Bayview has the Hopkins research which is hard to beat anywhere in the country, a public health school arguably second to only Harvard and a group of faculty that seems more invested in your success (that's obviously my opinion).

I'm more curious about how people compare Bayview to UVA. I'm thinking they probably have similar patient populations (or a lack of diversity) and place people in very competitive places. But UVA has a 1:1 ratio of intern:resident which I translate into a little better teaching within the program, an optional Master's in clinical Research and no competing medical center in the surrounding area. Plus it seems much cheaper to live in Charlottesville and my general impression of UVA was more relaxed than Bayview. The Bayview resident's I met seemed like they were at 100% all the time.

I go back and forth about which would be a better education UMD or Bayview. Maryland has a more diverse population but I think bayview offers a unique clinical experience with the Aliki and you get to learn from Hopkins attendings.

In terms of UVA being 1:1, I wonder about having a 1:1 ratio and the education that would offer. I imagine that would translate into a lot of handholding. That said, I think most would put UVA above Bayview... plus Charlottesville is a great place to live. The lack of competing medical center in the surrounding area is probably due to the fact that there isn't a large enough population to sustain one. I went to college at UVA so I can say that the area is great and the housing is cheap. There are more restaurants per capita than anywhere else in the country.

Baltimore is alright. There are some safe areas to live. Most of them are not near UMD or Bayview. Bayview is in a better area but again, not exactly Beverly Hills. JHH is in the middle of the Ghetto.

I have the same feeling you did about UVA vs. Bayview. I felt very comfortable at UVA because the residents seemed to be having a good time and joked around with each other and with the attendings. The 1:1 structure is great. I think it allows residents to have the time to teach and allows interns to get the support should they need. Bayview's teaching is awesome and their fellowship match is impressive. However, I felt that the atmosphere was very intense. It has 2 ICU and 2 CICU months during intern year with only 1 elective month. The interns seemed to be on top of their game all the time which was fine but I would have expected the senior residents to be more chill, but I did not get that sense at all; if anything, the senior residents seemed even more intense as if they are trying to outshine their junior house staff. Maybe this was just that one team that I shadow but I suspected that the Hopkins name may have something to do with it.

I'm gonna bump this thread. Any new input. Any residents out there at either of these programs who would like to chime in. Thanks!

bump

anyone know how big Bayview's program is. it seems like a small program, but is being compared to much bigger programs here

I think bayview is about 15 residents a year

About 15 categorical/primary care residents a year, a handful of prelims during intern year, and hopkins psych does about 6-8 months of their medicine there.

About 30 or so interns, 15 a year after that.

From that link, there are 8 categorical, 6 primary care, and 5 prelims per year

With 9 cat in the previous year they likely took someone outside of the match last year, i.e. 15 3 years and 5 prelims.