Hopkins interviews Feb or later

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all!

I called Hopkins yesterday and the secretary said the committee was meeting today. Since someone said the committee will meet one more time, this was probably it. Did anyone hear anything/get a phone call/snail mail/e-mail? Would someone please call tomorrow and ask when decisions are going out and if all decisions have been made and then post it? I would call again but I have called the past few days and do not want to be annoying. I would really appreciate it and I am sure the other people waiting would appreciate it also. Thanks so much in advance! Good luck everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just curious to know when the folks with the late interviews applied to Hopkins. Thanks!!

I was a late applicant because I didn't know that applying early had any advantages (if only I had found SDN earlier!). So, I finished things right on or slightly before deadlines. I got an interview invite about 2 weeks after they had my stuff for review, but I chose a late interview so that I could go over my spring break and stay an extra day or two and check out Baltimore. So AMCAS around Nov 15th, secondary in Dec. Does that help? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Cuteasaurus
I was a late applicant because I didn't know that applying early had any advantages (if only I had found SDN earlier!). So, I finished things right on or slightly before deadlines. I got an interview invite about 2 weeks after they had my stuff for review, but I chose a late interview so that I could go over my spring break and stay an extra day or two and check out Baltimore. So AMCAS around Nov 15th, secondary in Dec. Does that help? :)

Thanks, that does help ( I thought applying late = interviewing late but I didn't want to assume). And you must have a pretty impressive "package" to get an interview that quickly! Good luck getting in this year!

i got the low-tier waitlist letter today. sucks--good luck to you all

Originally posted by Benjo
i got the low-tier waitlist letter today. sucks--good luck to you all

I am sorry Benjo! You are still in at a great school, UVA. I am sure you will be very happy there. May I ask where you got the letter? On the East Coast? I am wondering if my letter is on its way. When did you interview?

Hi all,
I called the admissions office today around 3:30pm (EST) and I was told that all the calls for admissions offers had already been made, and that the letters were sent out on 4/5. So I'm sure those that are waiting will find out this week. Good luck!!;)

yea, to reinforce Pixie's post--my letter was dated 4/5 and I live about 10 minutes away from the medical school. So, it arrived next day. I guess that means that if you haven't heard, you ain't hearing anything good. SOrry, DrJ2B-I hope something works out for you.

How do you know which waitlist you are on? My letter says I am on the alternate list and my position on it will be determined at the end of April and that I won't get further correspondence from them until then. So is that something different than the low tiered waitlist or is it the same thing?

Hey guys: I'll preface this by saying I haven't heard anything yet so I'm not speaking as a voice of authority or anything.

Ok, the lady in the admissions office (when I called last week Thursday) said that there was one more meeting next week. So, how could there be one more meeting if all the letters went out Monday? I guess I'm confused...was last Weds the last date anyone got a phone call?

Elizabeth--yea, my letter said explicitly that I had been placed on the low-tiered list and would receive no more consideration in April--i.e. I got rejected. So, there is clearly still hope for you, at least a lot more than there is for me.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm sorry you didn't hear better news. :( Congrats on being in at UVA though - that's awesome. Good luck with everything.

Originally posted by Benjo
Elizabeth--yea, my letter said explicitly that I had been placed on the low-tiered list and would receive no more consideration in April--i.e. I got rejected. So, there is clearly still hope for you, at least a lot more than there is for me.

Hey guys: I'll preface this by saying I haven't heard anything yet so I'm not speaking as a voice of authority or anything.

Ok, the lady in the admissions office (when I called last week Thursday) said that there was one more meeting next week. So, how could there be one more meeting if all the letters went out Monday? I guess I'm confused...was last Weds the last date anyone got a phone call?

I second that. I called on Monday as aforementioned and the secretary said the committee would be meeting on Tuesday. Albeit,all the calls for offers of admissions could have been made yesterday, but all the letters could not have been sent on April 5th if all decisions were not made. Can someone call to confirm what happened?

Hey Benjo!

Thanks for the kind words. I hope that I still have a chance with the waitlist. Good luck with everything! Enjoy UVA!

Members don't see this ad :)
It could be that the committee is now meeting for a different purpose, and that all admissions offers have indeed gone out?

Anyone hear anything today, especially on the East Coast? I am anxiously awaiting my letter!

Anyone hear anything today, especially on the East Coast? I am still anxiously awaiting my letter! I am in NYC. Should it take this long to get the letter if it was sent out Monday? :scared:

Was the end of April when they expected waitlist placement letters to go out?

I haven't heard anything from them yet, but it seems like it's gotta be soon if they expect to send out that second batch in the next couple weeks. . .

I haven't heard anything from them yet, but it seems like it's gotta be soon if they expect to send out that second batch in the next couple weeks. . .

Yeah, my waitlist letter said that they would let me know my rank on the list by the end of April and that I shouldn't expect to hear anything before then.

Are you on the East Coast? I really hope to get some closure soon! :(

No, I'm not on the East Coast...I'm in the middle. I totally agree though...closure would be nice (though pref. the nice closure ;) )

I just want to reiterate what doepug said--people DO get in off the waiting list. Hang in there! And congrats to those who are in right now--we have some good stuff planned for the Revisit. :)

Hey all!

Has anyone who has been waiting for a decision letter gotten it this week perhaps on Friday or Saturday? When I called, they said the decision letters went out on Monday, April 5th, but I have not gotten anything at both my home and dorm addresses. I doubt it would take 5 days for a card to get from Baltimore to NYC. Anyone still waiting for a letter? If so, what state/city are you in? Should I call on Monday to see what's up? Perhaps, my letter went out later? I am so :scared: about getting the letter, but I really need some closure (good closure I pray!). Thanks everyone! :)

Hi, I haven't gotten any letters from JHU yet and i'm in upstate new york. I'm sure we will hear from them this week..i don't think I got in, so I'm kind of dreading the letter anyway. good luck! :oops:

Pixie162 said:
Hi, I haven't gotten any letters from JHU yet and i'm in upstate new york. I'm sure we will hear from them this week..i don't think I got in, so I'm kind of dreading the letter anyway. good luck! :oops:

I think they made all the calls for acceptance already, however, we can still get on the waitlist for further consideration! Good luck to you! I hope you still have a shot! Never give up, especially if you really want to go there like I do! I am awaiting the letter so I can write one right back to tell Dean White why I want to go there so badly. If you really want to go to Hopkins, then you should definitely write a letter of continued interest as soon as you get the waitlist letter. :)

DrJ2B,

Hey I had a question for you. I think you sent an LOI to UPenn, right? How did you phrase it (i.e. did you personalize the letter to the dean of admissions)? Also, did you put in contingencies for financial aid? See I'd go to a couple of schools, but not if the debt was 200,000 dollars....

I'd appreciate any help that you or anyone else can provide (I'm thinking of sending one to hopkins....:)).

Thanks,

Ice

This may seem like a silly question, but when you call and ask about decisions do you tell them you've interviewed?
And while this may or may not be applicable to me: Does anyone know/remember what Hopkins Waitlist is like (number of tiers, date it starts moving, etc.)?

Cuteasaurus said:
This may seem like a silly question, but when you call and ask about decisions do you tell them you've interviewed?
And while this may or may not be applicable to me: Does anyone know/remember what Hopkins Waitlist is like (number of tiers, date it starts moving, etc.)?

When I called last week, I was asked if I interviewed and I told Dean White(I think it was he who answered the phone.) When you call, you should definitely say you interviewed. I am not sure when the letters for pre-interview rejections are supposed to go out. As far as the waitlist goes, initially, you get on either the top or bottom waitlist. The top is still up for consideration and will be notified of its tier in late April. The bottom waitlist is basically a rejection, hence, you will no longer be considered for a spot. Now if you are on the top waitlist, it will be divided into 3rd with the top 1/3 having a good chance to get in, second 3rd with some chance (not sure about how much), and third 3rd that will probably not have much of a chance for a spot. The waitlist starts moving in mid-May, through May and June mostly. Good luck with everything! :)

ice_23 said:
DrJ2B,

Hey I had a question for you. I think you sent an LOI to UPenn, right? How did you phrase it (i.e. did you personalize the letter to the dean of admissions)? Also, did you put in contingencies for financial aid? See I'd go to a couple of schools, but not if the debt was 200,000 dollars....

I'd appreciate any help that you or anyone else can provide (I'm thinking of sending one to hopkins....:)).

Thanks,

Ice

Hey Ice_23!

I did send an LOI to UPenn. I addressed it to the Director of Admissions. I highlighted why UPenn was a perfect fit and said what I would contribute to the class since I had not done that with my update letter or other letters. Of course, if it is a letter of intent, you want to mention that you will guarantee that you will attend if accepted and withdraw from all the other schools. I did not put in any contingencies for financial aid. I think the point is that if you really want to go there, you have considered the debt you will incur if you go there. I am not sure about how to add that in, but I did not. Having been to my Hopkins interview, I feel that Hopkins would be as a perfect match or actually a better match. I still love UPenn, but Hopkins was a totally different experience. I wish you the best of luck in getting into Hopkins! :)

after a little phone tag, dean white finally gave me the good news!! I'm in!

i'm on the west coast, and he called 8am (pacific time) today. i interviewed february 27th.

this is so crazy...i still can't believe it! :D

there's still hope for the call~
good luck everyone!

off to get a plane ticket for next week's revisit weekend....anyone going?

I think WL tiers are going out april 15.

Once again, no mail from Hopkins. Anyone else get their letter?

noclouds said:
after a little phone tag, dean white finally gave me the good news!! I'm in!

i'm on the west coast, and he called 8am (pacific time) today. i interviewed february 27th.

this is so crazy...i still can't believe it! :D

there's still hope for the call~
good luck everyone!

off to get a plane ticket for next week's revisit weekend....anyone going?

Congratulations! Woohoo! I cannot believe they said all the acceptance calls already went out. Thank so much for lifting my spirits albeit ephemerally. Have a great time at 2nd look weekend! You rock! I hope to be your classmate! :clap:

I can't believe I missed that post... way to go noclouds!! :) Have fun at Hopkins!

thanks guys! i'm still ecstatic :)
good luck~

Congratulations, Noclouds! That's awesome. See you at Revist Weekend. s/b lots of fun.

thewebthsp said:
I think WL tiers are going out april 15.

Thanks for the info. Where did you hear this? :) I have not even received any decision letter. Perhaps, they are waiting to send the tiered list for those who were reviewed last? :scared:

Hi,
I finally called the admissions office today and asked them why I haven't received a letter when, according to the voice recording, the office said final decision letters were mailed out March 31. The woman who answered was very nice and said that it didn't apply to those that interviewed in early March...she then said that the letters for those interviews were mailed out yesterday! She also was able to look up my name and tell me that i was "neither accepted nor rejected, and placed in a hold category" but no more specific details. I think they are deciding in late April, as other people have posted. Hope this helps! :eek:

Pixie162 said:
Hi,
I finally called the admissions office today and asked them why I haven't received a letter when, according to the voice recording, the office said final decision letters were mailed out March 31. The woman who answered was very nice and said that it didn't apply to those that interviewed in early March...she then said that the letters for those interviews were mailed out yesterday! She also was able to look up my name and tell me that i was "neither accepted nor rejected, and placed in a hold category" but no more specific details. I think they are deciding in late April, as other people have posted. Hope this helps! :eek:

Hey Pixie!

Thanks so much for the update. I wonder if all calls for acceptance were made. I want to call to find out my status but I already called yesterday. I guess I will just wait it out until I get the letter. I wish you the best of luck. I hope you get off the waitlist. :)

On a side note: If you got the acceptance call and weren't there, does Dean White leave a message? Does he just try again later? It seems like he'd leave a message, but then doesn't that "spoil the surprise?"

He left me a message - that he was the Dean of Admissions and to please call back - but it didn't spoil the surprise one bit, and I had a chance to collect myself before calling back:).

Has anyone called to ask if all acceptance calls were made? Someone mentioned that he or she was told they were all done but noclouds got a call this week so perhaps those waiting have some more hope. I would call but I have already called yesterday and two times last week. I would really appreciate it. Thanks all! :)

TO those waiting (especially DrJ2B). I still look at this thread because I am genuinely interested in how you all fare, even though I got my bad decision about a week ago, or whatever.
That being said, I understand how bad waiting can be in regard to this decision. But, what made it better for me when I was waiting for a school that shall remain nameless, and torturously made me wait fo rmonths on end, was boycotting good old SDN. Yea, it's a useful forum, but not if you're waiting. WHen you're waiting, no information is the best information.
SO, at the risk of sounding self-righteous or all-knowing, I will recommend that you stop even thinking about when the god-forsaken letter will arrive. What good is it to know, anyway?
Just my thoughts--take them for what they are worth.

Bump ... has anyone heard anything about waitlist rankings yet??

Elizabeth1028 said:
Bump ... has anyone heard anything about waitlist rankings yet??

No, but I got my letter today. I am on the alternate list and will no be considered for admission in April. I wish everyone the best of luck who still has a chance. Does anyone know if I am definitely out of the running? Does anyone know anyone who has ever gotten off the alternate waitlist? I really love Hopkins and want to go there! :(

Cuteasaurus said:
Alternate list? What does that mean?
It is basically the waitlist. I am on the lower tier and the letter explicitly states that I will not be considered in April, so basically it is a nice way to say that I have basically no chance of getting in and instead of belaboring the process, they want to tell me that I was rejected. :( I wish you the best of luck.

DrJ2B said:
It is basically the waitlist. I am on the lower tier and the letter explicitly states that I will not be considered in April, so basically it is a nice way to say that I have basically no chance of getting in and instead of belaboring the process, they want to tell me that I was rejected. :( I wish you the best of luck.

DrJ2B,

what do they mean not consider in April? will they consider it later? do they come out and say ur on the lower tier?

anyway, i'm rooting for u (but at UPenn, which is where u belong)

rCubed said:
DrJ2B,

what do they mean not consider in April? will they consider it later? do they come out and say ur on the lower tier?

anyway, i'm rooting for u (but at UPenn, which is where u belong)

Hey rCubed!

Thank so much for the kind words! They did not say outright that I was rejected but am no longer being considered which is basically a rejection. I have always loved UPenn. I guess I was so hurt by being deferred then waitlisted there that I did not want to be disappointed again if I do not get off the waitlist. I am definitely going to pursue the waitlist. I am going to send another letter soon. This process is so grueling. Thanks for all the support. I hope I can get in! :)