Hopkins vs. Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madscientist3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been committed to Maryland (my state school) with a 20k scholarship per yer year. I was recently accepted off of the waitlist at Hopkins and am now faced with the tough decision.

Maryland:
Pros: Shock trauma, 20k per year scholarship
Cons: grades all four years, less people match into top residencies and into competitive specialties

Hopkins:
Pros: no preclinical grades, name recognition for residency and impressive match list
Cons: significantly more (about 30k per year more) as I did not receive much in terms of financial aid

Hopkins has really been a dream school for me, I just guess the question is if the significant amount of extra money is worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hopkins without question, opportunities and experience along with a significantly greater chance of matching to a top residency makes it worth the extra 120k IMO. Congrats !

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks! That’s the way I was leaning but it does feel good to have people reassure that I’m not out of my mind for wanting to spend that much more money. Thanks and good luck!