Medical Horrible GPA, but high mcat score, how do I move forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My overall GPA is 2.5 science gpa is a 2.2 mcat is a 520. what do I do ? Which SMP program will take my low gpa ? Do I even have a shot at the carribean med school? Are there any programs in the US that will focus at my mcat more than my gpa?
We need a lot more information. What was your major and GPA trend? Why the sub 3 GPA (and no, no school's going to overlook it without very good reason especially with a high MCAT). With which schools have you networked?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

A high MCAT will not remediate a low GPA. In fact it will highlight the discrepancy between the two stats. All you have done is shown that when you have no academic distractions and you study 100% for the MCAT, you can do well. You don't have that luxury in medical school

Special Master's programs are a dime a dozen oh, so you'll have to do your research to find one. Either that or do a do-it-yourself post back. Read my guide to reinvention for pre-meds

And don't even think about going to the Caribbean. That's sound you hear off in the distance is them smacking there lips at yet another desperate mark.

Please for the love of God do not go to the Carib. Agree with Goro here. You need to do a postbacc that will demonstrate you can succeed in science courses. Ideally you could start one soon so that you can apply before that amazing mcat expires and you have to take it again. But I don’t know what the rest of your app looks like. You won’t want to apply anyway if you don’t have any of the boxes checked.

Thank you guys for responding. Do you know any medical school that will do grade replacement ? Any SMP programs that might consider me ?
There's not going to be an easy way to sugar coat this, but you have to do the networking to see if any school.would consider any recent coursework you undertake, including an SMP. You also need to do your homework about SMPs and if admitted do exceptionally well with a very strong MCAT. No school I know will do.a complete grade replacement or consider anyone below 3.0 unless they have high confidence in the applicant. Network before spending or wasting your money.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Over 25 years ago, a guy a few years ahead of me in school got into med school with a 2.95. HOWEVER, he had been, prior (if I recall correctly), mechanical engineering, but switched to biology. What he showed was an increasing GPA, every semester, which was what it took.

He's an orthopedic surgeon now.

Status
Not open for further replies.