Medical Horrible undergrad & first MCAT, where do I go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I started undergrad at a prestigious school and a great program. But I was newly diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disorder and severely depressed. There was always one thing or another going on with my health and during periods of high stress, my medical condition was always exacerbated. The docs had pretty much experimented to figure out how the hell to treat my condition. I got kicked out of the school in between for a year, got readmitted a year later. Grades were doing so much better that first semester, but in the middle of the next semester I had to get a surgery done (also because of my autoimmune disorder) and my grades plummeted again. Felt severely depressed and had pretty much given up in the last year so my marks are trash.

At some point between all of this, I gave a really crappy attempt at my MCAT and got a 490 because I did not even study. I have been studying for it again and have been getting 520+ on practice exams, planning to write a few months from now, test has been booked. My cGPA for undergrad is around a 1.5. Where do I go from here? I would ideally love to do a 1-2 year postbacc or smp of some sort that'll show an upwards trend from my underground to now. I still have yet to take orgo1/2 and biochem.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a program or school that would give me the chance to take courses that will help my applications?

ECS:
Shadowed rheumatologist: 75 hours
Non-clinical volunteering: (blind companion, tutoring at-risk youth, crisis food bank, marathon for cancer research, anti-smoking awareness) 150+ hours
Clinical volunteering: (walk-in clinic) 100 hours
Clinical work: 300+ hours (current job) 300+ hours
Research work: research practicum in stem cell biology under chair of science
1) Make sure that your health issues are 100% under control,m especially your mental health.
2) Read this: Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention
3) Finish off all the pre-reqs and then take MCAT only when you are 100% ready.
4) "Write the MCAT"....are you Canadian?

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.