Horse Rectal Exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvmcatdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm just curious if while in vet school for small animals do you have to do rectal exams on large animals like horses? I know you have to learn about them, but do you learn a lot about large animals, or mostly small?

Members don't see this ad.

Current debate:

To respond sarcastically or seriously, that is the question.....
I'm almost hoping the OP has the mindset of "..because I only want to work with cats and dogs. I don't want to learn anything about any other type of animal."

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm almost hoping the OP has the mindset of "..because I only want to work with cats and dogs. I don't want to learn anything about any other type of animal."
I want to learn about all animals. I do want to work with cats and dogs in a private practice though. I'm just curious how much you have to learn about large animals and if you have to give rectal exams.

I'm 100% serious. I just want to know what to expect.
All current students will have better answers, but you don't exactly "go to veterinary school for small animals." Last I checked, you can certainly take electives/rotations that concentrate in small animals, but you can't necessarily avoid any large animal material.

I would imagine that a rectal exam could be part of a rotation that you may or may not have to take. Are you just grossed out by the thought of it?

I did a bunch of cow rectals. Horse rectals were allowed once on teaching mares. Clients generally don't want students doing rectals on their horses due to the severe consequences that can result from rectal tears in horses.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm 100% serious. I just want to know what to expect.

Ok, well, there is no "vet school for small animals". We will just start there. There is only veterinary school and you learn about horses, cats, dogs, cows, pigs, sheep, goats, hamsters, rabbits, chickens, etc. I think you get the idea.

Yes, you will most likely rectal a cow at some point in vet school. You will possibly rectal a horse at some point as well (depends on the school, rotations, labs you have to take, and so on). They are a normal part of a physical exam on these animals, just like with dogs and cats. Having stated that, I have never done a rectal on a horse and have only done 2 on cattle. I am done with my large animal rotations, chances are fairly decent I won't have to do any more. To be perfectly honest, doing a rectal on these animals really isn't that big of a deal. The only issue I have is being short, I can't feel things as easily.

You will learn enough about large animals in vet school to be competent practicing medicine on them. You will learn their anatomy, physiology, reproduction, diseases, etc, etc.

I want to learn about all animals. I do want to work with cats and dogs in a private practice though. I'm just curious how much you have to learn about large animals and if you have to give rectal exams.

You have to learn about large, small, and exotic animals. You will perform rectal exams on horses and cows. You will also do then on dogs. You have to learn about all of them so you can pass boards.

All current students will have better answers, but you don't exactly "go to veterinary school for small animals." Last I checked, you can certainly take electives/rotations that concentrate in small animals, but you can't necessarily avoid any large animal material.

I would imagine that a rectal exam could be part of a rotation that you may or may not have to take. Are you just grossed out by the thought of it?
Not at all. My boyfriend mentioned it, and it was something I hadn't even thought of. I just don't plan to work with large animals but I still want to learn about them and was just curious if current student had to do that.

Dvmcatdog,

While in veterinary school, you will learn a plethora of information about a variety of species: Horses, cattle, swine, small ruminants, reptiles, amphibians, exotic mammals, birds...and yes, dogs and cats. Veterinary school prepares you to pass the NAVLE, the North American Veterinary Licensing Exam- which qualifies you to be a veterinary general practitioner. On the NAVLE, you will be asked questions about food animals, companion animals, exotic animals- and the industries associated with these species.

Are you hesitant to work with larger animals? If so, and you're a pre-vet, I would highly suggest finding some shadowing experience with large animals prior to jumping head first into vet school. You will be expected to handle big critters- horses, cows, pigs, etc. Also, little things that can bite- like rats, snakes, etc. It's important for you to know as a potential veterinary student that your love for animals extends to all species. Most of us have a passion for one group of species or another (or perhaps an industry), but I'd put it out there that the great majority of us have an appreciation and respect for all animals.

You'll want to get on board with that mentality before applying to veterinary school, and certainly prior to matriculating. Your classmates (who may have more experience with some species than you do), will be more than happy to lend a helping hand, but you'll need to jump in there and castrate, palpate, cast, etc. Make sure that this is something you can see yourself doing before signing up for vet school.

Ok, well, there is no "vet school for small animals". We will just start there. There is only veterinary school and you learn about horses, cats, dogs, cows, pigs, sheep, goats, hamsters, rabbits, chickens, etc. I think you get the idea.

Yes, you will most likely rectal a cow at some point in vet school. You will possibly rectal a horse at some point as well (depends on the school, rotations, labs you have to take, and so on). They are a normal part of a physical exam on these animals, just like with dogs and cats. Having stated that, I have never done a rectal on a horse and have only done 2 on cattle. I am done with my large animal rotations, chances are fairly decent I won't have to do any more. To be perfectly honest, doing a rectal on these animals really isn't that big of a deal. The only issue I have is being short, I can't feel things as easily.

You will learn enough about large animals in vet school to be competent practicing medicine on them. You will learn their anatomy, physiology, reproduction, diseases, etc, etc.
Yeah, thats what I wanted to know. I figured going to vet school you would have to do rectal exams on cows and horses, but I just didn't know anything about physical exams on large animals. I've helped with countless small animal exams, but not large. Would you recommend volunteering at a farm of some sort to get some experience in more than just small animals?

Dvmcatdog,

While in veterinary school, you will learn a plethora of information about a variety of species: Horses, cattle, swine, small ruminants, reptiles, amphibians, exotic mammals, birds...and yes, dogs and cats. Veterinary school prepares you to pass the NAVLE, the North American Veterinary Licensing Exam- which qualifies you to be a veterinary general practitioner. On the NAVLE, you will be asked questions about food animals, companion animals, exotic animals- and the industries associated with these species.

Are you hesitant to work with larger animals? If so, and you're a pre-vet, I would highly suggest finding some shadowing experience with large animals prior to jumping head first into vet school. You will be expected to handle big critters- horses, cows, pigs, etc. Also, little things that can bite- like rats, snakes, etc. It's important for you to know as a potential veterinary student that your love for animals extends to all species. Most of us have a passion for one group of species or another (or perhaps an industry), but I'd put it out there that the great majority of us have an appreciation and respect for all animals.

You'll want to get on board with that mentality before applying to veterinary school, and certainly prior to matriculating. Your classmates (who may have more experience with some species than you do), will be more than happy to lend a helping hand, but you'll need to jump in there and castrate, palpate, cast, etc. Make sure that this is something you can see yourself doing before signing up for vet school.
I cannot thank you enough for this post. It's so informing and I'm going to look into doing large animal vet shadowing. But um, I'm okay with ALL animals but snakes? Reptiles are the only type of animal that FREAKS me out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, thats what I wanted to know. I figured going to vet school you would have to do rectal exams on cows and horses, but I just didn't know anything about physical exams on large animals. I've helped with countless small animal exams, but not large. Would you recommend volunteering at a farm of some sort to get some experience in more than just small animals?
most schools appreciate depth and breadth of experience. So yes, it would be a good idea if you can get it.

Don't forget, you will have to do rectal exams on small animals too just sayin' . . . .

Yes, it is a good idea to get experience with large animals if you are able to. Vet schools like to see experience with multiple species of animals.

Yes, it is a good idea to get experience with large animals if you are able to. Vet schools like to see experience with multiple species of animals.
Lab Vet mentioned working with reptiles. Those are the only animals I'm hesitant on. How often do you work with reptiles?

Lab Vet mentioned working with reptiles. Those are the only animals I'm hesitant on. How often do you work with reptiles?

I haven't been on a rotation yet that has seen a reptile, however, I am only a couple months into 4th year and my classmates have seen reptiles. If a reptile shows up in ICU or in a rotation, then you will need to work with it. How often that will occur will vary depending upon the school, the area around the school and the specific rotation you are on.

At AVC, there were no reptiles mandatory. They were all part of electives.

ETA: I think everyone ended up doing at least one cow rectal. Horse rectals happened and you certainly had chances to do them, but I can't remember if they were required.

Last edited:
NCSU has a required 2nd year 'lab' in physical examination skills for laboratory animal and exotic species (ferrets, rabbits, rats, snakes, birds, etc.). In Year 3, there's a required medicine class- laboratory animal and special species medicine. Pretty awesome. NCSU has a large and diverse exotic animal faculty, plus a cadre of lab animal folks. Even if your school doesn't have official course work dealing with the scaly guys, I would hazard a guess that you'd run across them in your 4th year rotations somewhere. Experience from other schools??

I live in Florida, so I'm looking into going into the University of Florida Vet Med. I'm taking a tour in October. But I'm not sure how much work they do with exotics or reptiles. I'm okay with ferrets, rabbits and birds. Just those damn reptiles. I don't even know why, do many of my friends have bearded dragons and I can't be around them.

I live in Florida, so I'm looking into going into the University of Florida Vet Med. I'm taking a tour in October. But I'm not sure how much work they do with exotics or reptiles. I'm okay with ferrets, rabbits and birds. Just those damn reptiles. I don't even know why, do many of my friends have bearded dragons and I can't be around them.
Elliott Jacobson is on the faculty UF and is world renowned for his reptile work.

See here: http://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/about-the-college/faculty-directory/elliott-jacobson/

and here: Amazon product

NCSU has a required 2nd year 'lab' in physical examination skills for laboratory animal and exotic species (ferrets, rabbits, rats, snakes, birds, etc.). In Year 3, there's a required medicine class- laboratory animal and special species medicine. Pretty awesome. NCSU has a large and diverse exotic animal faculty, plus a cadre of lab animal folks. Even if your school doesn't have official course work dealing with the scaly guys, I would hazard a guess that you'd run across them in your 4th year rotations somewhere. Experience from other schools??

I don't remember handling reptiles in any required classes here but you can come across them on other rotations like ICU, radiology and ES especially. Definitely will if you take exotics here. Our department has been really busy lately and one of our clinicians is a big time herper. She brings her handable guys to class if you take the electives.

As for rectals, I've only done a cow and so far (I felt nothing but poop) besides your usual dog. I skipped out on Large Animal Repro class so I'm not sure if I'll ever have to on a horse.

I am as uninterested in large animals as it is possible to be, and I have been armpit-deep in several live horses, quite a few cows, and one *dead* horse.

Yes, I think experience with large animals would be a good idea - either on a farm or shadowing a large animal vet for a while (that's what I did for a while one summer).

I did one rectal on a horse in the core curriculum, and quite a few on horses during my theriogenology rotation (but that's not required for SA students).