Keeping a horse in vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheval12

UW Madison c/o 2023!
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! This is for any current, past, or future vet students - I'm looking for advice/opinions/words of wisdom. So I have been a competitive horse person all my life. I ride everyday even now. I just got accepted to my first school (yay!) and I'm already thinking/worrying about the possibility of bringing a horse with me. I know this isn't the typical cat or dog - horses are typically crazy expensive. However, I read some past threads from like 5+ years ago and some stuff online, and a lot of people have done it and are happy they did do it.
Last thing - I am a non-traditional student. I majored in finance and worked in the finance field for a bit, so I know money a bit. I understand the incredible amount of debt we're all going to amass, but my thinking is what's a couple extra hundred bucks a month added to that debt to keep a horse and my sanity while in school?

Would love everyone's opinions even if you want to yell at me for being dumb enough to even consider this. Really torn about what to do. TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

A couple hundred extra bucks a month will make your suffocating amount of debt 100x worse when you consider the interest. Granted, I am incredibly cheap and am ensuring that I will pay off my OOS debt in under 10 years so I live very frugally. Honestly, I think it's a bad idea to bring on that much extra in loans and I don't think it's responsible to do if you are going to be an OOS student taking on the typical amount of debt. If you have a cheap IS you are accepted to, then it might be a different story but I still think it's a better choice to wait until you're out of school and don't pay for a horse with borrowed money. There are plenty of people with horses in vet school so you can make friends with them to get your daily horse contact, work in a stable a few hours a week, or just pay a certain amount every week to go and ride some horses. It's important to keep doing what you love during vet school but you should find ways to do it without massively increasing your amount of debt. You'll thank yourself later when you're not paying off student loans 20 years from now.

Reactions: 2 users
Soooo I was super involved on the H/J circuit before I started vet school, and had a little Thoroughbred mare I was showing the grand prixs up until it was time to start school.

I did not keep her with me at school, and I'm so glad every day that I didn't. I am so busy with studying and extracurriculars that I know I wouldn't have the time to be properly working her and taking care of her (she's hanging out at my parents' farm being semi-retired). Some of my friends brought their horses and manage to make it out to the barn a couple times a week, but for me personally, with what I have to prioritize based on my program and my finances, I'm SO glad that I do not have a horse to worry about on top of that. I had to find other ways to relieve stress, as going to the barn was my main stressbreaker before school, but it's nice to not have the guilt of "I really should go out and ride, but I have 3 exams to study for" to worry about.

(did you post this on the Chronicle forums, because I just replied to a post like this earlier today lol)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a competitive rider myself, I used my school loans to help support my horse during my early undergrad and it was a BIG mistake. Board adds up fast and it made interest suffocating and very difficult to pay off. I feel for you though. Not being with your horse is hard, but by the time you're done with school you could have as much as $15,000 in extra debt. You may be so busy in school that you are very limited on time anyways. The only way around it I can see is if you get lucky and find super cheap board somewhere private that's not a big facility.

I have two friends that have their horses with them. One bought land so she just has them with her and the other is currently boarding them and visits them a few times every week and barrel races most weekends and she’s hoping to board her horses with the first friend when she finishes up her barn to cut costs

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all so much for responding so quick. Glad to know my situation isn't unheard of. I definitely would only do this if I could find insanely cheap board. I haven't heard back from my IS yet (Illinois) so that is also another deciding factor. I know I wouldn't be able to compete at all, but just being able to go ride a couple days a week would be nice... ah

Most of my friends who still have horses in school left them at home and are leasing them out or letting them be used as lesson horses at their barn.

Not going to lie, I feel like a majority of vet students shouldn't even have dogs with how busy/gone we are (at least at my school), let alone a horse.

Reactions: 4 users
Soooo I was super involved on the H/J circuit before I started vet school, and had a little Thoroughbred mare I was showing the grand prixs up until it was time to start school.

I did not keep her with me at school, and I'm so glad every day that I didn't. I am so busy with studying and extracurriculars that I know I wouldn't have the time to be properly working her and taking care of her (she's hanging out at my parents' farm being semi-retired). Some of my friends brought their horses and manage to make it out to the barn a couple times a week, but for me personally, with what I have to prioritize based on my program and my finances, I'm SO glad that I do not have a horse to worry about on top of that. I had to find other ways to relieve stress, as going to the barn was my main stressbreaker before school, but it's nice to not have the guilt of "I really should go out and ride, but I have 3 exams to study for" to worry about.

(did you post this on the Chronicle forums, because I just replied to a post like this earlier today lol)
LOL no I did not, but I read that Chronicle post as well!

I bet it could definitely be more plausible if you found a partial leaser to help out with the expenses! Or even a semi-rough board type of situation if you can board close to where you live. You could also just lease a horse close to campus which is what I do now during my undergrad and love.

A couple hundred extra bucks a month will make your suffocating amount of debt 100x worse when you consider the interest. Granted, I am incredibly cheap and am ensuring that I will pay off my OOS debt in under 10 years so I live very frugally. Honestly, I think it's a bad idea to bring on that much extra in loans and I don't think it's responsible to do if you are going to be an OOS student taking on the typical amount of debt. If you have a cheap IS you are accepted to, then it might be a different story but I still think it's a better choice to wait until you're out of school and don't pay for a horse with borrowed money. There are plenty of people with horses in vet school so you can make friends with them to get your daily horse contact, work in a stable a few hours a week, or just pay a certain amount every week to go and ride some horses. It's important to keep doing what you love during vet school but you should find ways to do it without massively increasing your amount of debt. You'll thank yourself later when you're not paying off student loans 20 years from now.

I'm usually right there in a debt boat with you....but there is also quality of life to consider. You need to have activities and things to keep you sane throughout vet school. There are also ways that she could "make up" the money - i.e. no cable, cheap rent, part-time job, etc. Depends on how expensive the board is in her area and what type of board it is.

Now, is that outside hobby worth a couple hundred a month? That's pushing it, IMO. But in general, there is nothing wrong with spending *some* money to keep yourself sane. Especially when you're in a hardcore environment such as vet school - you NEED activities outside of studying, and unfortunately not all activities are cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hello! As SAR said, I do show jumping and have maintained 2-3 horses throughout vet school. Between first year and second year I did a full summer show season with 2-3 horses, even was the top in the 1.20m division for my province. So it can be done! I didn't compete this past summer due to having a summer job, and we start fourth year rotations in April, so won't be competing this coming summer either. But I still have two of my boys with me, which is so important for my mental health. I do sometimes feel guilty if I can't get out to the barn more than a couple times a week, or if I don't ride and just go out to visit them, but since they're not competing it doesn't really matter how out of shape they are :laugh:

I really want to emphasize that my situation is definitely unique in that I have amazing parents who are paying for my horsey habit, so I am not adding onto my personal expenses (other than farrier, vet, new blankets when they inevitably destroy theirs, etc.) by paying for board. Because of that, I'm not really representative of most people's experience!

My recommendation would be to see if you can find super cheap board somewhere, but if you can't, look into taking lessons or part-leasing a horse. As others have said, you don't want to add onto your debt too much, however I completely understand needing to have that horsey outlet for stress relief. There have been numerous times where I've gone out to the barn and felt so relieved after being stressed out that I'm crying while trying to do up my girth :whistle: It's so nice to have a consistent place that you feel somewhat obligated to go to a few times a week that can take you away from your vet school worries.

Ultimately it's your decision though! I am happy to answer any questions you might have :)

I haven't spent a whole lot of time around horses, but don't some barns offer the ability to work for free/cheap board? That would be a great option if you could work 5 or 6 hours each weekend and get free boarding out of it. Is that common?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't spent a whole lot of time around horses, but don't some barns offer the ability to work for free/cheap board? That would be a great option if you could work 5 or 6 hours each weekend and get free boarding out of it. Is that common?
Yes - this would be the ideal situation! I am definitely going to reach out to some barns when I know where I end up, and see if they have an option like this.

Hello! As SAR said, I do show jumping and have maintained 2-3 horses throughout vet school. Between first year and second year I did a full summer show season with 2-3 horses, even was the top in the 1.20m division for my province. So it can be done! I didn't compete this past summer due to having a summer job, and we start fourth year rotations in April, so won't be competing this coming summer either. But I still have two of my boys with me, which is so important for my mental health. I do sometimes feel guilty if I can't get out to the barn more than a couple times a week, or if I don't ride and just go out to visit them, but since they're not competing it doesn't really matter how out of shape they are :laugh:

I really want to emphasize that my situation is definitely unique in that I have amazing parents who are paying for my horsey habit, so I am not adding onto my personal expenses (other than farrier, vet, new blankets when they inevitably destroy theirs, etc.) by paying for board. Because of that, I'm not really representative of most people's experience!

My recommendation would be to see if you can find super cheap board somewhere, but if you can't, look into taking lessons or part-leasing a horse. As others have said, you don't want to add onto your debt too much, however I completely understand needing to have that horsey outlet for stress relief. There have been numerous times where I've gone out to the barn and felt so relieved after being stressed out that I'm crying while trying to do up my girth :whistle: It's so nice to have a consistent place that you feel somewhat obligated to go to a few times a week that can take you away from your vet school worries.

Ultimately it's your decision though! I am happy to answer any questions you might have :)

Thank you so much! Pretty awesome you were top 1.20m rider while in vet school :clap: I might PM you with more specific questions one horse person to another, if you don't mind!

A friend of mine brought her horse with her to school, and although it's pricey, she doesn't regret it at all. She says her horse keeps her sane and the ability to just go to the farm she boards him at for even just a half hour helps clear her mind and destress her. She always says that she would have gone insane with stress if it weren't for her horse. So if you feel that you will be the same way, it may be worth it to protect your mental health.

I'm usually right there in a debt boat with you....but there is also quality of life to consider. You need to have activities and things to keep you sane throughout vet school. There are also ways that she could "make up" the money - i.e. no cable, cheap rent, part-time job, etc. Depends on how expensive the board is in her area and what type of board it is.

Now, is that outside hobby worth a couple hundred a month? That's pushing it, IMO. But in general, there is nothing wrong with spending *some* money to keep yourself sane. Especially when you're in a hardcore environment such as vet school - you NEED activities outside of studying, and unfortunately not all activities are cheap.

Forgot to add --> I personally did not have any mental-health/fun activities outside of school and work during vet school (besides of my heart dog, but that wasn't enough) and it almost broke me. I circled down until my high-functioning facade inevitably imploded, I hit crisis point, and was **thisclose** to dropping out in third year. Hence why I really harp on doing something else outside of school.

A friend of mine brought her horse with her to school, and although it's pricey, she doesn't regret it at all. She says her horse keeps her sane and the ability to just go to the farm she boards him at for even just a half hour helps clear her mind and destress her. She always says that she would have gone insane with stress if it weren't for her horse. So if you feel that you will be the same way, it may be worth it to protect your mental health.

Forgot to add --> I personally did not have any mental-health/fun activities outside of school and work during vet school (besides of my heart dog, but that wasn't enough) and it almost broke me. I his crisis point and was **thisclose** to dropping out in third year. Hence why I really harp on doing something else outside of school.

So good to know - from both of you. Horses have been the one constant in my life since I can remember, so it definitely could be a huge shock to my system if I don't have the outlet.

Even if you can't bring yours with you due to $, I'm sure there will be other student who do and who would LOVE to have a classmate give them some attention and exercise if they can't. If it's important to your happiness and mental health, I would make a reasonable effort to pursue it.

I sold my horse half-way through undergrad because it was too much both financially and time-wise. Prior to that my entire life was horses. I haven’t ridden now in four years...I miss it a lot but I’m also glad I don’t have to deal with all of that responsibility on top of school.

I sold my horse half-way through undergrad because it was too much both financially and time-wise. Prior to that my entire life was horses. I haven’t ridden now in four years...I miss it a lot but I’m also glad I don’t have to deal with all of that responsibility on top of school.

That's a good point as well for pets in particular.

I mentioned my dog...I had her through undergrad, vet school, residency, and most of my PhD. She passed two years ago - lymphoma. I think about her every day (no joke) and miss her dearly, but I'm also well aware that life is much simpler without a dog. I can go on >1 week long vacations for my mental health. I don't have to pay petsitters. I don't have to rush home from work for walkies. I don't have to worry about health concerns, if I'm giving her enough attention, etc.

Of course, given the choice I would adopt her again in a second - but I'm not immune to realizing the advantages of being dogless. Hence why I don't know if I will have another dog again (I'm not ready yet, anyway. It will be a long time before I'm even remotely emotionally ready, if ever).

I mentioned my dog...I had her through undergrad, vet school, residency, and most of my PhD. She passed two years ago - lymphoma. I think about her every day (no joke) and miss her dearly, but I'm also well aware that life is much simpler without a dog. I can go on >1 week long vacations for my mental health. I don't have to pay petsitters. I don't have to rush home from work for walkies. I don't have to worry about health concerns, if I'm giving her enough attention, etc.

Of course, given the choice I would adopt her again in a second - but I'm not immune to realizing the advantages of being dogless. Hence why I don't know if I will have another dog again (I'm not ready yet, anyway. It will be a long time before I'm even remotely emotionally ready, if ever).

I sold my horse...but picked up two cats and a dog in the meantime lololol

P.S. I’m sorry to hear that about your doggo

I sold my horse...but picked up two cats and a dog in the meantime lololol

P.S. I’m sorry to hear that about your doggo

Thank you. It was B-cell and we went full CHOP, but it came back after 5-6 months and didn't respond even to rescue. Spent probably close to $6-7k during that time, drained my savings. But you know what? 200% worth it. Those months were amazing and she was a like a new dog even at 13 years old. She was such a goober and we were pathologically (no pun intended) close.

Obligatory self-serving photo, 10 years apart, same place.

44768063_10107444974423433_4954379294311710720_n.jpg

Still have the kitty, who has adjusted to life without her doggo sister (adopted as a kitten so always had her) but I can't leave her with a drop-in petsitter anymore because she pees on stuff out of anxiety at being alone.

So yeah, still have that responsibility and that makes travel hard (for example, I have to stay home alone this Xmas rather than go with BF to see his family because we couldn't find an open place to board her).

new blankets when they inevitably destroy theirs
Okay unrelated but is smartpak’s guarantee for their Ultimate blankets still covered in Canada because if so 100% check them out. The ultimate line has a 10 year indestructible guarantee for any reason.
Update: smartpak ALSO has 20% off smartpak brand stuff including blankets right now.

Last edited:

Yeah definitely the time management thing is something for me to consider. Although the one positive with horses over dogs/cats is boarding them. Someone else is always taking care of them if you can't get there for some reason.

Okay unrelated but is smartpak’s guarantee for their Ultimate blankets still covered in Canada because if so 100% check them out. The ultimate line has a 10 year indestructible guarantee for any reason.
Update: smartpak ALSO has 20% off smartpak brand stuff including blankets right now.

This made me laugh. "Indestructible"

This made me laugh. "Indestructible"
I know. They call it an indestructible guarantee but they’ll replace it for that whole 10 year period for any reason. They know that other horses are gonna tear them because they’re little dicks and “play” (or beat up) by biting blankets
If a buckle falls off, they’ll replace the blanket. They say if literally anything happens they’ll send you a new one.
Things like this definitely keep people buying from them which is why they do it

Last I checked SmartPak doesn't even ship to Canada :( I always see stuff I want on the website and I can never get it :mad: My guys are actually pretty good about not doing major damage (knock on wood!) but they do seem to love pulling front straps off... it's better now that they're in separate pastures because one of them *coughMannycough* is the one doing all the damage by pulling on his brother's blanket :laugh:

Thank you. It was B-cell and we went full CHOP, but it came back after 5-6 months and didn't respond even to rescue. Spent probably close to $6-7k during that time, drained my savings. But you know what? 200% worth it. Those months were amazing and she was a like a new dog even at 13 years old. She was such a goober and we were pathologically (no pun intended) close.

Obligatory self-serving photo, 10 years apart, same place.

44768063_10107444974423433_4954379294311710720_n.jpg

Still have the kitty, who has adjusted to life without her doggo sister (adopted as a kitten so always had her) but I can't leave her with a drop-in petsitter anymore because she pees on stuff out of anxiety at being alone.

So yeah, still have that responsibility and that makes travel hard (for example, I have to stay home alone this Xmas rather than go with BF to see his family because we couldn't find an open place to board her).

Freakin’ lymphoma. So not fair. That picture is crushing but also totally beautiful. Such a pretty lady!

Last I checked SmartPak doesn't even ship to Canada :( I always see stuff I want on the website and I can never get it :mad: My guys are actually pretty good about not doing major damage (knock on wood!) but they do seem to love pulling front straps off... it's better now that they're in separate pastures because one of them *coughMannycough* is the one doing all the damage by pulling on his brother's blanket :laugh:
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:sendoff::sendoff::sendoff::sendoff:
Smartpak y u no ship to Canada

Looks like you need to have smartpak mail it to someone in the us and then them mail you stuff:laugh:

My parents euthanized my old mare when I was in undergrad and gave away my gelding when I was a first year. I miss horses but I absolutely do not regret those decisions. The mare was old and very lame and it was just too hard on her to keep going. The gelding was rarely ridden and it didn’t make sense to pay to feed a horse that is not being used when someone else was willing to take him. He actually just lives down the road and I can see him when I drive by on my way to my grandma’s so I know he’s well cared for. It’s so much easier to pack up and move for specialty training without having to worry about what’s happening with the horses or how you’re going to pay for them. I was sad at the time not to have them back at home for when I came home on break, but I knew that once school was finally over I’d be able to get another horse. I don’t regret it at all. I’m now (finally) 6 months from finishing my residency and already saving money and looking forward to getting a horse once I get a big kid job.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:sendoff::sendoff::sendoff::sendoff:
Smartpak y u no ship to Canada

Looks like you need to have smartpak mail it to someone in the us and then them mail you stuff:laugh:

Hahaha clearly. Too bad I just bought winter coats for them in October... that they haven't even needed yet :rolleyes: Y u so warm Canada. There isn't even snow here right now :arghh:

Hahaha clearly. Too bad I just bought winter coats for them in October... that they haven't even needed yet :rolleyes: Y u so warm Canada. There isn't even snow here right now :arghh:
You shut up lol, it’s plenty cold here :p

On an unrelated note, try seeing if anyone else (student or prof) has horses or wants horses worked for them. I was exercising horses for one of my profs this semester before it got too cold/snowy to do so. 100% was my mental health saving grace and I can’t wait for it to warm up enough to start back up.

Also was discussing this with a classmate the other day; even set lessons can be tricky to organize due to unpredictable school/exam schedules. However, if you love horses and riding I would really try to find a way to at least get a little horse time in. :)

If I were not in vet school right now, I absolutely would go out and buy myself a pony to get back in the show ring. Even if I were in my exact financial and living situation. I absolutely am devastated to watch my friends still running the eventing world without me, but I know without a doubt that owning a horse right now would be a terrible idea for me.

If you can find a means of cheap board, a part time leaser, or a lesson barn that will take your horse, then I would say go for it! But if you're in a situation where you're taking out extra money to board them, it's probably going to be more of a burden to you than you need while in school. There's not a lot of free time during the average week in vet med, and the stress of paying for and alloting time to your horse's care likely will begin to weigh on you once you're in the thick of things.

I know how healing horses are, especially in times of stress. So if there's somewhere that will take a lot of responsibility off of you [grooming and exercising in lessons for kids, etc], that could work for you. But I would not advise trying to take it on as a single owner and rider in vet school.

You shut up lol, it’s plenty cold here :p

On an unrelated note, try seeing if anyone else (student or prof) has horses or wants horses worked for them. I was exercising horses for one of my profs this semester before it got too cold/snowy to do so. 100% was my mental health saving grace and I can’t wait for it to warm up enough to start back up.

Also was discussing this with a classmate the other day; even set lessons can be tricky to organize due to unpredictable school/exam schedules. However, if you love horses and riding I would really try to find a way to at least get a little horse time in. :)

In Saskatoon sure, but here it's been between -5 and 10 degrees since winter started :laugh:

I'm so glad this thread became about 5 different things :laugh: I wasn't expecting this many responses! Thanks everyone!

In Saskatoon sure, but here it's been between -5 and 10 degrees since winter started :laugh:

Get out of here with that centigrade shenanigans. You're making me do math the night before my final.

Back to horses idk if IL or anyone else has a similar program, but we have equine enrichment which is literally just going out to the teaching herd and taking a horse out to groom it, hang out, etc. No riding them though unfortunately. I do know a few people in my class as well who just go and chill at one of the horse barns they clean a few stalls and get to ride horses for a bit in exchange.

Back to horses idk if IL or anyone else has a similar program, but we have equine enrichment which is literally just going out to the teaching herd and taking a horse out to groom it, hang out, etc. No riding them though unfortunately. I do know a few people in my class as well who just go and chill at one of the horse barns they clean a few stalls and get to ride horses for a bit in exchange.
IL does have that!

We do and I am in
Is great
Sadly I don’t think we’re just allowed to go by ourselves and have to be with our groups or I’d go so much more :( </3

My dog is 16 atm and still young but I've already come to terms that I won't have another dog for a long, long time.
I think fostering is a good medium because it is temporary, financially supported, very important role in shelter/rescues, and non-committal but you still get all the perks!

My dog is 16 atm and still young but I've already come to terms that I won't have another dog for a long, long time.
I think fostering is a good medium because it is temporary, financially supported, very important role in shelter/rescues, and non-committal but you still get all the perks!
So I’ve been wondering something about fostering. If you’re fostering an animal for a shelter, are you allowed to like
Go on a trip or something? Do they just take the dog or cat back to the shelter for a few days? Do they find a temporary foster for those days? What even happens in that situation? Like I’m sure it would vary based on the shelter but I’m just curious :laugh:

So I’ve been wondering something about fostering. If you’re fostering an animal for a shelter, are you allowed to like
Go on a trip or something? Do they just take the dog or cat back to the shelter for a few days? Do they find a temporary foster for those days? What even happens in that situation? Like I’m sure it would vary based on the shelter but I’m just curious :laugh:
Depends. I'm not sure about dogs but I know a lot of times with cats they're in foster because they don't have space for them at the shelter, so likely you'd have to get someone to watch them or a temporary foster or something.

I can't imagine they would want you traveling out of town with them. Usually they prefer that medical care and such happen at their facility. If something happened while you were away they'd end up with extra expenses.

Depends. I'm not sure about dogs but I know a lot of times with cats they're in foster because they don't have space for them at the shelter, so likely you'd have to get someone to watch them or a temporary foster or something.

I can't imagine they would want you traveling out of town with them. Usually they prefer that medical care and such happen at their facility. If something happened while you were away they'd end up with extra expenses.
Same is true even for rescues because usually they have a relationship with certain clinics that offer them discounts.

If travel is arranged far in advance I bet it is more simple than say a family emergency

Yeah I assumed you wouldn’t take them with you I just wasn’t sure what you would do with them if you were traveling out of town :laugh:

I exercise a local woman's horse for her twice a week and I absolutely love it! Definitely a strong proponent of not losing my sanity (and I definitely would if I wasn't able to ride), but I knew I couldn't afford bringing a horse with me to school. You'll be surprised at some of the riding opportunities you find if you just put yourself out there to local barns! I found that most people in college towns who work for the college are super busy and would love someone to come give their ponies love and exercise a couple times a week :)