Keeping a horse in vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have my horse with me. I found an awesome apartment with a local family that lets me keep a horse and my dogs on the property where the apartment and their house is. And they take care of feed and water too! That being said my horse is literally 50yards from my door and I’m lucky if I go and pet her four times a week and I haven’t rode in several weeks. I get to see her as I drive to and from home but I spend very little zoomed actually out with her. I enjoy haveing her with me but I’m so busy that I would be fine with her being home with my parents too.

I think part of my struggle is that I have to study a lot and work hard to retain the infor we are learning. So I have to decide whether to spend time out riding or studying. That’s a personal struggle of mine, but something to consider if you have to work hard to learn the information.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m a bit stuck. My parents aren’t horsey and while they helped cover board while I was in undergrad they have firmly said my horse leaves with me- when I graduate in the spring he either comes with me to vet school or he gets sold. This horse is insanely special to me- he was kind of a rescue/rehab case, was almost euthanized for behavioral issues, and is now the most trustworthy and reliable horse... around me. He’s extremely wary around other people to the point that while he’s easy to handle day-day, only a select few people can do things like take his temp, give injections, handle his feet, or ride him. So I can’t lease him out, sell him, or loan him to a lesson program.

I’ve been busy enough in undergrad that I ride maybe two or three times a month, but even that is 100x better than my freshman year when I had ZERO access to horses. It led to serious anxiety and depression and I transferred schools so that I was able to be around horses (there were other reasons but this made such a huge difference in my mood, mental health, and overall life.) Horses have always been a huge part of my life, and I’m planning to go into equine med.

I’m still not sure how I’m going to make it work but I’m pretty sure my horse is coming with me to vet school.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m a bit stuck. My parents aren’t horsey and while they helped cover board while I was in undergrad they have firmly said my horse leaves with me- when I graduate in the spring he either comes with me to vet school or he gets sold. This horse is insanely special to me- he was kind of a rescue/rehab case, was almost euthanized for behavioral issues, and is now the most trustworthy and reliable horse... around me. He’s extremely wary around other people to the point that while he’s easy to handle day-day, only a select few people can do things like take his temp, give injections, handle his feet, or ride him. So I can’t lease him out, sell him, or loan him to a lesson program.

I’ve been busy enough in undergrad that I ride maybe two or three times a month, but even that is 100x better than my freshman year when I had ZERO access to horses. It led to serious anxiety and depression and I transferred schools so that I was able to be around horses (there were other reasons but this made such a huge difference in my mood, mental health, and overall life.) Horses have always been a huge part of my life, and I’m planning to go into equine med.

I’m still not sure how I’m going to make it work but I’m pretty sure my horse is coming with me to vet school.

Hey, I am 100% the same way with needing to be around horses, so I can totally relate. If you can figure out financially how to bring your horse with you, I think you should. Even if you can only get out to ride once a month, or one a year, or whatever, it's nice having that escape. And horses don't care how much they're ridden, as long as they're fed ;) Half the time I don't even ride when I go out to the barn, I just give my boys some cookies and some scratches and enjoy the horsey-scented air and clear your head. Mental health is so so soooo important when you're in vet school... it's so easy to crash and burn if you don't have something that keeps you grounded. And for me (and I'm assuming for you as well!), that thing is my horses. Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey - OP here. Glad this thread is still going! I totally relate. My life kinda depends on horses lol. Glad to know someone else might be taking on a horse at vet school, too.

Hey - OP here. Glad this thread is still going! I totally relate. My life kinda depends on horses lol. Glad to know someone else might be taking on a horse at vet school, too.

Luckily the school I was accepted to has some VERY affordable barns nearby (board in my hometown of PA is a minimum 350 for poor care and falling down fences, and averages upwards of $500 for actual good care. The $200-300 I’m seeing at first glance in Kansas for much better facilities and level of care is insane.

I don’t really need much anyways- bare minimum barn with shelter, food, water, and owner/barn manager I can trust is all really. I’ll just as happily ride in a field or pasture, although an arena would be nice. My horse is currently boarded at a friend’s house with a big field, shed for tack, and a stall. I can’t ride now anyways with the frozen mud covering the fields!

Hey, I am 100% the same way with needing to be around horses, so I can totally relate. If you can figure out financially how to bring your horse with you, I think you should. Even if you can only get out to ride once a month, or one a year, or whatever, it's nice having that escape. And horses don't care how much they're ridden, as long as they're fed ;) Half the time I don't even ride when I go out to the barn, I just give my boys some cookies and some scratches and enjoy the horsey-scented air and clear your head. Mental health is so so soooo important when you're in vet school... it's so easy to crash and burn if you don't have something that keeps you grounded. And for me (and I'm assuming for you as well!), that thing is my horses. Good luck :)

Thanks for the luck! I've been riding so long I physically can’t point my toes, because my ankles have been heels down so much, if that tells you anything about how important horses have been to my life!
My OTTB will happily be a pasture pet/cookie vaccuum/occasional trail pony. I’m incredibly lucky that he’s a horse I can pull out of a field once a month and he’s the same, easygoing ride no matter how much or how little he’s worked.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the luck! I've been riding so long I physically can’t point my toes, because my ankles have been heels down so much, if that tells you anything about how important horses have been to my life!
My OTTB will happily be a pasture pet/cookie vaccuum/occasional trail pony. I’m incredibly lucky that he’s a horse I can pull out of a field once a month and he’s the same, easygoing ride no matter how much or how little he’s worked.
I’m not sure how obsessed with equines you really are, equusobsessed.

That's awesome! My two boys are the same way for the most part (one gets a little excited about jumping again after a long time off...) so it's nice not having to be out there 3-4 times a week to keep up with their training. Plus I'm not showing right now, so don't have to prep them for competition and keep them in shape. They're happy being lazy beans :laugh:

5D3D7F19-4D17-4012-B6DC-6BA2E2EAC100.jpeg

My OTTB “Fish” as requested :)

Reactions: 7 users
9C650654-9F8F-4A2B-A8A9-C5ACF14EDF58.png
Fish says thank you for all of his admirers, and here is a picture from when he was not buried in a winter blanket and actually being ridden. (Not a great pic put I just cleared off my phone recently)

Members don't see this ad :)
HE TALL. I love him already.
He’s only 16.1 he’s short to me! My last two horses were 17.3 and 18hh. Although he was 15.2 when I bought him. I’m 5’7”, so I looked SUPER awkward when I first got him before he finished growing. (He grew three entire inches as a 6 year old )

Also his favorite snack is a coke flavored slushy. I got him one for his birthday this past summer

He’s only 16.1 he’s short to me! My last two horses were 17.3 and 18hh. Although he was 15.2 when I bought him. I’m 5’7”, so I looked SUPER awkward when I first got him before he finished growing. (He grew three entire inches as a 6 year old )

Also his favorite snack is a coke flavored slushy. I got him one for his birthday this past summer
Yeah I need something at least 16hh because I’m 5’9” but preferably something larger, but I don’t usually get to choose since they’re not mine :laugh:
So I love him because he’s at least tall enough for me hahaha

Coming from western land, this all sounds so strange. I'm 5'7" and my last horse was/is right at 15. Childhood mare was 14.3ish. I don't feel like it looks awkward. My cousin has a 16 hand QH and he felt giant when I rode him. So far to fall! I can't imagine something taller. Just different perspectives! I'll stick to stock horses please.

Coming from western land, this all sounds so strange. I'm 5'7" and my last horse was/is right at 15. Childhood mare was 14.3ish. I don't feel like it looks awkward. My cousin has a 16 hand QH and he felt giant when I rode him. So far to fall! I can't imagine something taller. Just different perspectives! I'll stick to stock horses please.
Yeahhhhhh I’m alllllll leg though so I look incredibly funny on anything shorter :laugh:
Like a solid 35-36” inseam when normal is like 32. I have to buy Extra Long yoga pants because regular long is usually only 34. :hilarious:

Yeahhhhhh I’m alllllll leg though so I look incredibly funny on anything shorter :laugh:
Like a solid 35-36” inseam when normal is like 32. I have to buy Extra Long yoga pants because regular long is usually only 34. :hilarious:

Same! All my height is in my femur. Like, proportionally my femurs are the longest part of me lol. Plus I like floating super high above the ground with my tall ponies.

I’ve just accepted that all pants will always be short on me. Most riding pants come halfway up my calf (yes, even the ones that are supposed to come to your ankle). :(

I’ve just accepted that all pants will always be short on me. Most riding pants come halfway up my calf (yes, even the ones that are supposed to come to your ankle). :(
Yeah I feel that :hilarious:
I assume you’ve tried tall length ones? Those are somewhat decent for me with the length. Regulars are waaaaay too short.

Yeah I feel that :hilarious:
I assume you’ve tried tall length ones? Those are somewhat decent for me with the length. Regulars are waaaaay too short.
Sometimes the tall length ones are weirdly tight around the knees and ankles though. It seems like certain brands must use the same amount of fabric and just make them longer and sacrifice width. Just because I’m built narrow doesn’t mean I have no joints at all! Ah the eternal struggle of riding clothes

Sometimes the tall length ones are weirdly tight around the knees and ankles though. It seems like certain brands must use the same amount of fabric and just make them longer and sacrifice width. Just because I’m built narrow doesn’t mean I have no joints at all! Ah the eternal struggle of riding clothes
Totally get this.

Totally get this.

Wait are you at KState? I’m preeeettty sure that’s where I’m going to decide to go (it’s currently my only acceptance but I think I’ll choose it even if I get into one of the othet two I had interviews at.) Since Fish is coming with me to school, if you’re there you’ll have to swing by to meet him and ride sometime!

Wait are you at KState? I’m preeeettty sure that’s where I’m going to decide to go (it’s currently my only acceptance but I think I’ll choose it even if I get into one of the othet two I had interviews at.) Since Fish is coming with me to school, if you’re there you’ll have to swing by to meet him and ride sometime!
sadly not. I'm at illinois. WISH I COULD MEET FISHYBOY