Horse Slaughter and the AAEP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WannaFixFounder

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In an effort to keep things under control, maybe we can discuss this on thing at a time. The AAEP recently released their comments about a new bill which opposes horse slaughter. I just spoke with Pat Raia, and she said she 'left messages on a thousand different lines at the AVMA' and could not elicit a response from the AVMA for this legislation.

Here is the article in The Horse:

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=12399
Vet Group Opposes New Slaughter Legislation
by: Pat Raia
July 30 2008, Article # 12399
Print ArticlePrint Email ArticleEmail Republish ArticleRepublish Link to ArticleLink RSS FeedRSS ShareThis


U.S. House Judiciary Committee hearings on new anti-slaughter legislation will begin July 31, and the American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP) has gone on record opposing the bill. In a written statement (posted in its entirety below), the AAEP rejected H.R. 6598--the Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act of 2008--because it eliminates what is "currently a necessary end-of life-option" for unwanted horses.


"We oppose H.R. 6598 not because the AAEP believes that sending a horse to a processing plant is the best option for reducing the unwanted horse population," the statement said, "but because it does not help address the long-term care and funding that will be necessary to help the tens of thousands of horses that will be affected by the ban."
H.R. 6598 prohibits transport, sale, delivery, or export of horses for slaughter for human consumption. It also criminalize s the purchase, sale, delivery, or export of horsemeat intended for human consumption. Supporters praise the bill for banning horse export to processing plants in Canada and Mexico.


The American Veterinary Medical Association reserved comment pending a review of the bill, according to assistant media relations director Sharon Curtis Granskog.
Also on July 31, the House Judiciary Committee will hear testimony on H.R. 6597, The Animal Cruelty Statistics Act of 2008. The measure would require the Department of Justice to collect and maintain animal cruelty crime data for inclusion in the national crime database. The Department does not currently do so.


AAEP statement regarding H.R. 6598:
"Unwanted horses in the United States are facing a crisis. Horses that are considered at-risk in the equine population are being severely impacted by a struggling economy, high grain and hay prices, and the closure last year of the U.S.'s three remaining processing plants. The result has been increased equine cruelty in the form of abuse, neglect and abandonment. In the state of Colorado alone, equine cruelty investigations increased by 40 percent in 2007.


Because of the large population of unwanted horses in this country, the AAEP believes that the processing of unwanted horses is currently a necessary end-of-life option. We oppose H.R. 6598 not because the AAEP believes that sending a horse to a processing plant is the best option for reducing the unwanted horse population, but because the bill does not help address the long-term care and funding that will be necessary to help the tens of thousands of horses that will be affected by a ban. Given the current factors causing an increase in the unwanted horse population, we feel this legislation is premature.


The AAEP has not visited processing plants in Canada or Mexico, so we have not observed the euthanasia of horses at those facilities. The AAEP supports only the three humane methods of euthanasia for horses as designated by the American Veterinary Medical Association."
 
This was my criticism of the AAEP's statement. It does explain the slaughter pipeline in more detail than some may want to hear. I did this because many people do not know about the 'pipeline' which includes feedlots and transportation. Please feel free to criticize or support the AAEP's statement. Thanks.

The fact that the AAEP mentioned Colorado equine cruelty investigations is such an obscure fact! As I've been immensely involved with one large cruelty case in Colorado, I can tell you first hand that one of the main reasons the amount of equine cruelty investigations has risen is because we (horse lovers among the general public) are FINALLY DEMANDING that the humane societies do their job and investigate! Historically, our pleas have fallen on deaf ears. In both of Colorado's large equine seizure in 2007, the neglect existed for years prior, but our pleas to investigate had previously fallen on deaf ears. Both of the large equine seizure cases in Colorado were in the media extensively, and I can only hypothesize that this initiated people who knew of other cases of abuse to keep calling their local humane societies- and demand that something be done- because Colorado residents have now seen in the media that humane societies and sheriff offices DO have the POWER and RESOURCES to conduct investigations about animal abuse and seize animals when the conditions warrant.


Meat prices at the Centennial Livestock Auction have remained steady since the US plant closures and the increase in grain and fuel costs. The Billings, MT auction report on their website that prices of loose, as-is horses has INCREASED since last year.

http://www.billingslivestock.com/Horse_Sales/Current_Sale_Info.html

(Feb. 2008 sale report)

"Loose horses ran absolutely wild - inspite of the closure of all U.S. plants and the roadblocks that day after day get thrown in the way - BUT - Billings Livestock’s overall market, from top to bottom, exceeded the February market from one year ago.​
Averages tell the story - top five $1,600 compared with $1,545 in 2007; top 10 $1,310; top 20 $1085; top 50 brought $815 compared with $801, and the truth is told going deep with top 100 - they averaged $651 this year against $626 last year - an increase of $25 more per head."

​
I tried contacting the AAEP directly about the group's recent visit to Mexico slaughter houses to determine how humane they were, but I never got a response. As a veterinary student eligible to join the student AAEP (I have not submitted an application)... I am sincerely interested in hearing from the welfare committee, and participating in the discussions and site visits. ( I discovered through google the the AAEP did not visit the slaughter plants in Mexico as planned in 2007, and last stated that they were planning to visit in early 2008 ) http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/jan08/080115a.asp8


"But, according to Dr. Tom Lenz, chair of AAEP welfare committee, Mexican plant owners canceled the trip after recent negative media stories. The visit is being rescheduled and will most likely happen in early 2008. "The big question that's not been answered yet is how those (American) horses are handled in Mexican processing plants and euthanized," Dr. Lenz said."
By the AAEP opposes the bill not based on the best interest of the horse, but rather the potential financial repercussions that *may* result. I would have expected a more sincere, rational statement from an organization such as the AAEP.


The AAEP's mission statement includes improving the welfare of the horse, furthering the professional development of its members, and to provide resources and leadership to the benefit of the equine industry. The AAEP, I beleive, is taking the easy way out by refusing to recommend an alternative to horse slaughter. We don't need to find the perfect solution. Try something different, learning from the setbacks, and working to improve the welfare of all equines is a plan I would expect from the AAEP.

The majority of the horses I see at feedlots in route to slaughter were intentionally bred. Often, previous owners, trainers, and breeders profited off the sale of the animals. These are not unwanted horses. I have yet to hear of a story where a horse owner phoned a dealer, and paid the dealer to remove their unwanted horse just as you would remove an old, unwanted automobile. The stories I have heard time and time again, was that the horse was well cared for and given or sold to an individual who promised to do the same. Eventually, sometimes directly and other times years later, the horse is easily disposed of at a livestock auction, where the sellers are often told by the auction employees that the riding horses sold will find good homes and that the injured horses will face a swift and humane ending. Often times, neither is true. The horses are shuttled from feedlot to feedlot, dealer to dealer, in overcrowded, unsafe trailers. Scared, hungry, crammed and left to suffer the elements, the most brutal injuries and ailments I have ever seen have been inflicted at these feedlots. The horse dealers do not provide veterinary treatment, and the horses may suffer for months before taking their final ride to the slaughter house. The final ride often consists of 8-16 hours in another unfit, overfull trailer without food or water. If the horse is truly unlucky, the final destination is the Mexican slaughterhouse filmed in the HSUS video, where horses are stabbed in the back with knives to try to severe them unconscious.
 
From what you have said, it appears that the horses do not receive veterinary care prior to being slaughtered. Are veterinarians or goverment officials required to inspect the animals prior to slaughter, to ensure public safety for those who will be purchasing this meat? Perhaps you could direct me to an article regarding that area of the subject. Are you also opposed to the treatment of cattle in the U.S? Because it appears to me that these horses are being treated in much the same way.

While I agree with you that this is an unethical practice, honestly, the financial aspect of long-term care and funding, etc. is a valid point.

If the animals were to be seized to prevent their slaughter, would the proper space and funding be available to house and treat them?

Also, I would like to learn more about your statement that these horses are not unwanted, and are in fact being bred for slaughter. What advantages have these people found to breeding horses vs. breeding cattle? Is is more economical? Is it easier to slip under the radar and avoid inspections?

I will admit that I am not extremely familiar with this issue, so I look forward to learning more.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what you have said, it appears that the horses do not receive veterinary care prior to being slaughtered. Are veterinarians or goverment officials required to inspect the animals prior to slaughter, to ensure public safety for those who will be purchasing this meat? Perhaps you could direct me to an article regarding that area of the subject. Are you also opposed to the treatment of cattle in the U.S? Because it appears to me that these horses are being treated in much the same way.

I don't have an opinion on cattle. The topic was horses and I am sticking to that. I have been to the feedlots, or holding pens, and have seen horses with broken legs, gigantic gaping infected wounds, and horses due of upper respiratory infections. I do consider it inhumane.

Good question: vets were required to inspect the horses at the US plants. We wondered how they missed the huge US Government brand on the mustangs, and the disease and illnesses they saw.... rarely was a horse turned away.

Currently horses are (very briefly) examined prior to crossing in Mexico. Those seen as unfit to travel are left in holding pens without shelter. Their owner (dealers) do not retrieve them and the horses die, per Animal Angels's Investigations.

Public safety: great question. There are numerous reports of equines with zoonotic disease whose meat injured the people who consume it, I beleive as recently as 2004. Stricter regulations have resulted in Europe. Only tiny fractions of the horses slaughtered are tested for drugs, and the latest reports I have seen have showed that every time they have been sampled, drugs have been found.

While I agree with you that this is an unethical practice, honestly, the financial aspect of long-term care and funding, etc. is a valid point.

Agreed. Horses do not roam the streets and breed wildly like feral cats. They are intentionally bred, often by a farm which is well endowed, and often sold for a fair sum of money. Owners and breeders need to take responsibility. A euthanasia bill is not extreme. It's usually close to to a month's feed bill.

If the animals were to be seized to prevent their slaughter, would the proper space and funding be available to house and treat them?
The Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation currently houses 1500 horses.
The ASPCA and HSUS house none.
Again, while many rescues can provide care for horses, the true responsibility goes back to the people who introduced the horse to the world and the owners who made money on the horse.

Also, I would like to learn more about your statement that these horses are not unwanted, and are in fact being bred for slaughter.

Whoa there. I said many horses are not unwanted. Horse owners do not pay a surrender fee to the kill buyer, how unwanted dog find themselves at the pound. These horses are bought- often under false pretenses.
In the US I have not heard of any horses purposely bred for slaughter.


I will admit that I am not extremely familiar with this issue, so I look forward to learning more.

I hope I helped.

There is a great need to actual data on the subject. Many vets and universities have turned a cold shoulder to the issue. You may want to ask your school where their horses come from. CSU's research and necropsy horses come from the kill buyer.... it will give you an upclose and personal account that many of these horses are sound, friendly, and young..... just in the wrong place at the wrong time.