Hospice care = Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone done hospice care as volunteer work.. does this count as clinical experience? Or is clinical experience basically just volunteering at a hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone done hospice care as volunteer work.. does this count as clinical experience? Or is clinical experience basically just volunteering at a hospital?

ms4 here....hospice work would be ideal clinical experience. at least better than shadowing a doc or candy striping.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm very familiar with it. It is the best way to gain clinical experience. Often you are asked to do more than in a hospital setting. Admissions love it too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very familiar with it. It is the best way to gain clinical experience. Often you are asked to do more than in a hospital setting. Admissions love it too.

I agree....it was definitely the best volunteering experience I've ever had, and that it seemed to really impress adcoms was a nice accidental bonus.

Happy to hear adcoms love hospice volunteering!

Agree with everyone above - I love seeing applicants who have had substantial experience volunteering with Hospice. It's not only good clinical experience but being in that environment requires a higher level of maturity and empathy than many other volunteer positions. Reassures me that they can handle the less glamorous and more emotionally taxing aspects of medicine.

Reactions: 3 users