primary care physician/geriatrician and hospice/palliative care focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rooks

Pre-med
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've volunteered a lot with hospice patients, for nearly five years now. It's extremely meaningful to me and I want to work with the elderly population as a primary care physician, because the aging population faces a lot of complex challenges and I want to help them. Is this okay to have this as my main focus for the "career goals/where do you see yourself in ten years" supplemental essay? I have some other plans but this is my main focus. Is this too narrow?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've volunteered a lot with hospice patients, for nearly five years now. It's extremely meaningful to me and I want to work with the elderly population as a primary care physician, because the aging population faces a lot of complex challenges and I want to help them. Is this okay to have this as my main focus for the "career goals/where do you see yourself in ten years" supplemental essay? I have some other plans but this is my main focus. Is this too narrow?
Thank you.
10000% fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
Geriatrics is a subspecialty of medicine or family medicine. You can also do general internal medicine, or family medicine, and be assured of a rather robust panel of elderly patients given that the population of older adults is expanding and older adults are more likely than younger folks to have chronic medical conditions that require monitoring and follow-up.

Care of the elderly is not something docs go into for the lifestyle or the money or the prestige so it is likely that your motives will be seen as pure and heck, most of the adcom is getting older (haha) so we are happy to know that there are incoming med students who will care for us in our old age.

Reactions: 3 users
Geriatrics is a subspecialty of medicine or family medicine. You can also do general internal medicine, or family medicine, and be assured of a rather robust panel of elderly patients given that the population of older adults is expanding and older adults are more likely than younger folks to have chronic medical conditions that require monitoring and follow-up.

Care of the elderly is not something docs go into for the lifestyle or the money or the prestige so it is likely that your motives will be seen as pure and heck, most of the adcom is getting older (haha) so we are happy to know that there are incoming med students who will care for us in our old age.
Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts on this. :)

This is essentially the story my personal statement came to naturally (as someone with a majority of their clinical experience in a hospice).

Hopefully it will work out for both of us in the end!
I love that! It was a big part of my primary app as well. :giggle:
Glad to see another applicant with a lot of hospice volunteering. I'm still brainstorming how to discuss my experiences in my secondaries haha.

Thank you.
As a physician who specializes in providing comprehensive healthcare services, I deeply appreciate your commitment and the valuable contributions you have made during your extensive volunteer work with hospice patients over the course of nearly five years. It is truly commendable that you aspire to serve as a primary care physician dedicated to addressing the unique challenges faced by the elderly population.

Your decision to prioritize the well-being of the elderly and make it your main focus for the next decade is both valid and praiseworthy. It highlights your genuine passion, unwavering dedication, and profound understanding of the specific needs and complexities associated with this demographic. By devoting yourself to this area of healthcare, you have the potential to make a significant and positive impact on the lives of the elderly, ultimately enhancing their overall quality of life.

While some may argue that this singular focus might limit your professional scope, But i would say it is important to recognize that specializing in a particular field enables you to cultivate a deeper level of expertise this is something I experience being a panel physician. Your unwavering commitment to serving the elderly population as a primary care physician demonstrates your determination to address their unique health concerns comprehensively, ensuring they receive the specialized support they require.

However, it would also be advantageous to acknowledge any supplemental plans or interests you may have in your essay. This will underscore your versatility as a healthcare professional and illustrate your openness to exploring various healthcare settings. By showcasing your willingness to adapt and diversify your skill set, you can demonstrate that while your primary focus lies with the elderly, you remain receptive to new opportunities and challenges.

Reactions: 1 users
I have nothing but respect for hospice/geriatric focused physicians. They have such a tough job, and it is SO important. Hospice was the best decision my father ever made.

I tip my hat to you, OP, that is very noble.

Reactions: 1 users
I have nothing but respect for hospice/geriatric focused physicians. They have such a tough job, and it is SO important. Hospice was the best decision my father ever made.

I tip my hat to you, OP, that is very noble.
thank you :)

That being said, I don't think it is too narrow. It is wonderful. The health care field needs more people like you.