Hospice MSW job advert with job duty of psychological assessment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It really depends on what psych assessment means here. It could be a BDI during intake or simply slapping a depression dx on anyone that says they are sad. It really should read psychosocial intake assessment. Then again teachers routinely administer the WCJ achievement subtests, so anything is possible.

Recently someone on our state list serve was horrified by a poor quality attempt at psychological assessment done by an LPC. The psychologist wanted to take some action. However, through the discussion on the list, we learned that a few yrs ago the state courts protected the rights of LPC's and MSW's to do such reports.

Terrible.

Dr. E

Members don't see this ad :)
Recently someone on our state list serve was horrified by a poor quality attempt at psychological assessment done by an LPC. The psychologist wanted to take some action. However, through the discussion on the list, we learned that a few yrs ago the state courts protected the rights of LPC's and MSW's to do such reports.

Terrible.

Dr. E

If anyone puts out an objectively terrible report, psychologist or no, shouldn't they be able to be subject to scrutiny more easily than the system that is currently in place?

I think the most humorous one that I've seen was from someone who calls himself a psychologist diagnosing a kid with autism, adhd, ODD, and borderline personality traits at 12 I was corrected, he was 7 and bipolar was also on the list.

Last edited:
This may relate in an ancillary way to how hospice programs are reimbursed by Medicare. You can pursue reimbursement for nursing, NP, physician, social work, OT and PT services, and "counseling" as part of a hospice program, but not psychological services. Which means there's an unmet need for psychological assessment which programs may be trying to fill by having LPCs do the job, it sounds like.

I just made my eyes cross by re-reading some of this:

http://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Manuals/downloads/bp102c09.pdf

Terrible.

Dr. E

Definitely a state by state thing.
We had an ethics training recently and the CMHC I work for sponsored it.
Ethics guy was from state board and very clearly stated that MSW's (and LMSW's, LCSW's, etc) are not allowed to do a psychological report. I think this applied to LPCs, too-- not sure. They're not allowed to even call it that, and that he (and the state board) by our laws considered that fraud. Just FYI.

They may not mean psychological assessment as psychological testing, interpretation, and integration. They could be referring to clinical assessment (diagnosis and clinical presentation based on an interview) and the resultant recommendations. I bet this was written by an HR person, anyway.

Here is one from an area near me for a trauma therapist at a CMH agency. Apparently, you don't even really need the masters now, folks! What is happening to this field?! Should I ever leave academia?!

KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Master's degree in social services field with certification or licensure in area of specialization (e.g., LPCC, LPCA, LMFT, Marriage and Family Therapy Associate); or bachelor's or master's degree in psychology*, sociology, social work*, or human services as determined by the Professional Equivalency Review Committee and professional equivalency. If professional equivalent, demonstrated professional competence in the provision of mental health services in supervised setting. Basic knowledge of mental and physical characteristics of applicable population group (e.g., growth and development and range of treatment needed), psychotherapy, human behavior, treatment modes, and related issues. Basic knowledge of community resources and SCS services. Good communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to handle a case load with varying levels of client disability and need. Knowledge of SCS policy and procedure. Reliable transportation for frequent travel.

EXPERIENCE
Three to six months of related internship or practicum experience, with a master's degree (or in case of master's degree and professional equivalency, six months experience in a community mental health center providing mental health services in a supervised setting); or, with a bachelor's degree and professional equivalency, three years' experience in a community mental health center providing mental health services in a supervised setting.

Here is one from an area near me for a trauma therapist at a CMH agency. Apparently, you don't even really need the masters now, folks! What is happening to this field?! Should I ever leave academia?!

KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Master's degree in social services field with certification or licensure in area of specialization (e.g., LPCC, LPCA, LMFT, Marriage and Family Therapy Associate); or bachelor’s or master’s degree in psychology*, sociology, social work*, or human services as determined by the Professional Equivalency Review Committee and professional equivalency. If professional equivalent, demonstrated professional competence in the provision of mental health services in supervised setting. Basic knowledge of mental and physical characteristics of applicable population group (e.g., growth and development and range of treatment needed), psychotherapy, human behavior, treatment modes, and related issues. Basic knowledge of community resources and SCS services. Good communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to handle a case load with varying levels of client disability and need. Knowledge of SCS policy and procedure. Reliable transportation for frequent travel.

EXPERIENCE
Three to six months of related internship or practicum experience, with a master's degree (or in case of master’s degree and professional equivalency, six months experience in a community mental health center providing mental health services in a supervised setting); or, with a bachelor’s degree and professional equivalency, three years’ experience in a community mental health center providing mental health services in a supervised setting.

I think it speaks to a few things: 1) How little training some hiring/administrative folks seem to feel is necessary to adequately and safely practice psychotherapy; 2) how poor a job we've done educating said folks (and, more importantly, the general public) on what safely-practiced and effective psychotherapy looks like; 3) advocating for our role in providing mental health services, and (perhaps most strongly) 4) how hard-up CMH centers are when it comes to finding someone, anyone to work there.

Here is one from an area near me for a trauma therapist at a CMH agency. Apparently, you don't even really need the masters now, folks! What is happening to this field?! Should I ever leave academia?![/B]

Yeah, same at the CMHC here. I was flabbergasted after working a practicum and learning many of the folks providing therapeutic services, if you're lucky, have a bachelor's degree. After my supervisor quit mid-Fall semester, there are no PhD level folks at all within the agency--only a handful of master's. They get away with it by calling everyone a psychotherapist/case manager. Most individuals are woefully un/underqualified, untrained and haven't the slightest what they're doing. But, hey, it's okay to have them diagnosis anyone and everyone, to have them provide services to a chronic SPMI population, to have them evaluate risk for harm, and so on & so forth. Yet they can't seem to understand why there's such a high turnover and why they are unable to attract decent candidates (for long) to the agency.

One of my states three state psychiatric hospitals is located in my city. The turnover rate for psychologists (and i would imagine other staff) there is ridiculous. It is run my the same agency that runs the CMHCs from the advert I posted above.