Hospice volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MexicanDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has any of you guys volunteered at a hospice? I'm interested in volunteering for one, but I wanted to hear your experiences. What kind of things did you do while there and how did it affect you positive/negative ad a person. Would you recommend it? Yes/no why?

Thanks guys

Eddie

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely was a positive experience for me. I'm still doing it and it really, in my opinion, is the best type of volunteering you can do. Many times patients would call me and I noticed that they made up little excuses just for me to come, it didn't occur to me that they just wanted someone to talk to in many instances. These people, many years older than me, have many things to share and I absolutely love to live through their experiences. I definitely get more out of it than they do, and sometimes they work my ass.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, CoolWhipp's experiences were pretty much mine. I had some wonderful times with the hospice patients and recommend it for any pre-med looking for a volunteer opportunity.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think hospice volunteering is a great idea because the hospice team genuinely needs the help of non-clinical volunteers. You really feel like you are helping by spending time with the patients. My experiences varied depending on the patients. Some patients were enjoyable, others were cranky, and some just lied there and seemed practically dead, which was definitely scary for me.

Did it for 6 months and, to be honest, it was awkward every time I visited. Many of the patients aren't lucid and can't have a conversation with you, many are cranky and just want to be left alone. A few of them appreciate the company. The last kind are fun to visit, but they are the exception. God bless you if you enjoy that kind of work.

Volunteering at a hospice service gives the premed student many ideas about death. Many physicians have to deal with the death of patients often.

Go for it. :thumbup:

I think it's a valuable experience. Something more unique than the average hospital volunteering.

I had a great experience volunteering there, but it was a little bit awkward at first (especially when you are practicing "mindful presence"). I dealt with a lot of people who wanted visitors though, so it wasn't so difficult after a week or two. It can be pretty heartbreaking though sometimes...

I didn't do hospice, but I did nursing home during high school and although it was awesome getting to know the patients, seeing someone you talked to on a regular basis and got to know die takes a toll on you. Especially when someone you enjoy dies, it's hard. I mean, it was still a hell of an experience, but getting to know sooo many people in such a short time and seeing them die in such a short time is something that can really affect you after a while. I know every person is different at handling death, just be wary that even the strongest get broken down after the persistence of dealing with it. All that being said, I say go for it, just know what you're getting yourself into.

it is one of the best things you can do as premed to gain a deeper insight into end of life care. As some have already stated, you may not be able to interact much with some of the patients, but you will have plenty of opportunities to learn from families. They really appreciate the company of anyone who is willing to be there for support.

From personal experience, I recommend it 100%.

I've been volunteering at a hospice for the past year, and it has been an EXTREMELY good experience. The nurses usually tell me which patients are cranky and which aren't lucid, so I tend to mostly just visit those who enjoy conversation. Unlike many other volunteering activities, especially those in a hospital, you actually get real patient-interactions.

I remember the first time I visited a patient. It was some old guy lying in his bed, and as soon as I walked in, he started whispering/yelling in a raspy voice about how he's dying and how he's gonna die. I kinda just froze there, not sure what to do or what to say. But after speaking with many patients, you sort of get used to all types of patients and you understand how to speak with them. Some of them have awesome experiences to share, and some of them just need to be comforted. Sometimes there are no patients who can/will talk to you, then I just either chat with the nurses or help them with chores. It has been an amazing experience, I would recommend it to any premed.

Beware though, of possibly a long training period. At the place I volunteered, you had to send in your application, they'll do a background check, then attend an orientation, two 7-hour training sessions, an interview, and another orientation before you may start visiting patients.

Also, there's the problem of becoming attached to some of the patients, because in a hospice, obviously, many patients do pass before long. It can be sad, definitely, but I think it's still rewarding because you know that you did make a difference, no matter how small, during their last days.

i like shadowing the nurses and doctors more.
they are so good with patients.
i also experienced ollantaytambo's perspective as well.
my first client (couple) one has completely lost it, i play yarn ball with him and was really awkard, and the wife was hardly lucid, lost almost all her voice, and pretty cranky... super super awkard...
so, i guess it depends on who you get.
i just wish my client can tlak!! even if she yells at me..
anyways, but other times i've visted with a provider, it has been an excellent experience.
i'm going to switch clients now.. hopefully they are lucid.

Totally agree!

I have been a hospice volunteer for 3 years. In addition to direct patient contact one also has the opporunity to become familiar with co-morbidities, other manifestations of in-stage illness, psychosocial aspects of palliative care and an array of treatment options. all very important! And shoot, you learn to handle death. I work with patients directly and have volunteered in 'team meetings' comprised of MDs, RNs, chaplains and social workers... see if the hospice has such a thing. The experience is invaluable. When interviewing it always comes up and the interviewers are impressed. It's a great way to satiate that unrelenting desire to be in the field. I love it, can't stay away.

And becoming attached is not a problem. I do it all the time, the patients will love you for your courage and compassion. Nothing feels better...

it is one of the best things you can do as premed to gain a deeper insight into end of life care. As some have already stated, you may not be able to interact much with some of the patients, but you will have plenty of opportunities to learn from families. They really appreciate the company of anyone who is willing to be there for support.

From personal experience, I recommend it 100%.

anybody ever just volunteered with a hospice service?
where you go to the patients home?

anybody ever just volunteered with a hospice service?
where you go to the patients home?

I have done all three, worked with hospice patients in the nursing home, in the 3 day or less care unit and also private visits. I have found most of the nursing home patients are end stage dementia and most cannot communicate. In the 3 day or less care unit you get to interact with the families, doctors and nurses. The most rewarding for me is the in home visits, the family members leave and run errands or go to church and the patient feels a sense of freedom to talk to you about any and all subjects. I would recommend this for anyone.

Oh wow, an opening just came up through my school's internship data for hospice volunteering..It must be fate :thumbup:
I have a question though, if it includes watching pain management, can that also be considered clinical experience as well as volunteering?

Volunteering at a hospice service gives the premed student many ideas about death. Many physicians have to deal with the death of patients often.

Go for it. :thumbup:
That's exactly my thinking for considering volunteering at a hospice