Hospital Job Offer For P4

Started by sleazye
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sleazye

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, just received the details of a job offer for a clinical/staff decentralized position in a hospital:

Clinical duties:
-Order verification
-standard clinical tasks (vanc/AG, IV to PO, HIT, etc)
-Informal rounds with allied health (nurses, dieticians, etc)
-Anti-Coag clinic
-Heart Failure Education

-103k to start, with 2k raises every year to a 121k max
-Four 10 hour shifts, days, every 4th weekend
-$2500 relocation
-$10,000/yr loan repayment for up to 6 years
-401k
-M/D/V

This being my first job is there anything I should consider before accepting? Any advice for possible negotiation? Any input is appreciated, thanks
 
Hey guys, just received the details of a job offer for a clinical/staff decentralized position in a hospital:

Clinical duties:
-Order verification
-standard clinical tasks (vanc/AG, IV to PO, HIT, etc)
-Informal rounds with allied health (nurses, dieticians, etc)
-Anti-Coag clinic
-Heart Failure Education

-103k to start, with 2k raises every year to a 121k max
-Four 10 hour shifts, days, every 4th weekend
-$2500 relocation
-$10,000/yr loan repayment for up to 6 years
-401k
-M/D/V

This being my first job is there anything I should consider before accepting? Any advice for possible negotiation? Any input is appreciated, thanks

What? You got a job!? Everyone knows those don't exist anymore.

Looks like a pretty sweet gig though. Congratulations. As for negotiating room, with the perks you're already getting I wouldn't expect any.
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, just received the details of a job offer for a clinical/staff decentralized position in a hospital:

Clinical duties:
-Order verification
-standard clinical tasks (vanc/AG, IV to PO, HIT, etc)
-Informal rounds with allied health (nurses, dieticians, etc)
-Anti-Coag clinic
-Heart Failure Education

-103k to start, with 2k raises every year to a 121k max
-Four 10 hour shifts, days, every 4th weekend
-$2500 relocation
-$10,000/yr loan repayment for up to 6 years
-401k
-M/D/V

This being my first job is there anything I should consider before accepting? Any advice for possible negotiation? Any input is appreciated, thanks
What about vacation?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congratulations! that seems like an excellent job. mind sharing where the hospital is located (doesn't have to be exact).
 
Hey guys, just received the details of a job offer for a clinical/staff decentralized position in a hospital:

Clinical duties:
-Order verification
-standard clinical tasks (vanc/AG, IV to PO, HIT, etc)
-Informal rounds with allied health (nurses, dieticians, etc)
-Anti-Coag clinic
-Heart Failure Education

-103k to start, with 2k raises every year to a 121k max
-Four 10 hour shifts, days, every 4th weekend
-$2500 relocation
-$10,000/yr loan repayment for up to 6 years
-401k
-M/D/V

This being my first job is there anything I should consider before accepting? Any advice for possible negotiation? Any input is appreciated, thanks

That's awesome!!! Congratulations on the offer 🙂
 
Sounds like a good offer to me. Diversity in tasks, good salary...all the hospitals around here are every other weekend so every 4th seems nice. Loan repayment is baller.

PTO/vacation time would be the only thing I could think of for negotiating but it looks like a good offer. I guess the salary would depend on where you are/cost of living.
 
What? You got a job!? Everyone knows those don't exist anymore.

And a hospital job without six years of residency? Pics or GTFO.

Seriously, that sounds like a great position with good benefits, I especially like the tuition reimbursement.
 
What? You got a job!? Everyone knows those don't exist anymore.
Looks like a pretty sweet gig though. Congratulations. As for negotiating room, with the perks you're already getting I wouldn't expect any.

haha, that's part of the reason I wanted to post this. They are still some out there.

What about vacation?

I dont have the info in front of me right now, but I believe it is 23 paid days/yr plus holidays.

congratulations! that seems like an excellent job. mind sharing where the hospital is located (doesn't have to be exact).

Sure, rural midwest.

That's awesome!!! Congratulations on the offer 🙂

Thank you very much. I am really thrilled!
 
haha, that's part of the reason I wanted to post this. They are still some out there.



I dont have the info in front of me right now, but I believe it is 23 paid days/yr plus holidays.



Sure, rural midwest.



Thank you very much. I am really thrilled!
There's some light at the end of the tunnel! That looks like a good job for a start. hope u enjoy what you do once you start, i believe thats the most important thing.
 
Rural midwest? Hmmm... is there anywhere closer to the middle of nowhere? :laugh:

There sure is: the rural south, anywhere in the plains states or western states excluding CA, new mexico... It ain't NYC to be sure, but it's close enough to chicago and the Twin Cities for me. To each his/her own i guess...
 
RHEAV19027.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations! Sounds like a great offer. When are you eligible for the M/D/V benefits? Some companies make you wait 90days.
 
There sure is: the rural south, anywhere in the plains states or western states excluding CA, new mexico... It ain't NYC to be sure, but it's close enough to chicago and the Twin Cities for me. To each his/her own i guess...

At this point, I wouldn't care about the location. Be proud of yourself and take the job! The fact that they're offering tuition reimbursement alone would make me sign on that offer. You truly give hope to those of us wanting a hospital job as a P4.
 
There sure is: the rural south, anywhere in the plains states or western states excluding CA, new mexico... It ain't NYC to be sure, but it's close enough to chicago and the Twin Cities for me. To each his/her own i guess...
Closer to the middle of nowhere? Nah. I'm not convinced.

I think it's official ladies and gentlemen. People are accepting offers in the middle of nowhere. Run for your lives!! AHHHHH!
 
That's a pretty cool job. I'd work there for liek 6 years and then have my foot in the door for a hospital job in a more desirable location. Or who knows? You might like it there and just stay.
 
I would say a town of less than 100,000 or more than 1.5 hours from a city of at least 500,000.
That's about right. You could probably take into account how close the town is to a major interstate system too, like whether it's "off the beaten path" or not.
 
I would say a town of less than 100,000 or more than 1.5 hours from a city of at least 500,000.
Really? That describes most of the upper Midwest. I guess I have a vastly different definition of the middle of nowhere. My nearest city is 50,000 people, which I think is pretty large. It's about 2 hours to a major metro area.

The draw to city livin' is something I will probably never understand. I like to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there 😀

ETA: and I have lived in 2 metro areas (not large by coastal standards) and I didn't like it
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Represent!

Sounds like a great offer, actually it sounds a lot like my job. Heyyyy, wait a minute, PharmaTope was right, I am being replaced! :scared:

Congrats sleazye - is your job at a CAH?

Thanks! No, not at CAH...

Really? That describes most of the upper Midwest. I guess I have a vastly different definition of the middle of nowhere. My nearest city is 50,000 people, which I think is pretty large. It's about 2 hours to a major metro area.

The draw to city livin' is something I will probably never understand. I like to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there 😀

ETA: and I have lived in 2 metro areas (not large by coastal standards) and I didn't like it

Haha, yeah I guess I didn't realize that everyone considers any place outside of a major metro area 'middle of nowhere'. Somewhat explains all the 'there are no jobs' threads. Based on the definitions posted here, yes, this is definitely middle of nowhere (as is most of the country). Luckily for me, I was initially interested in the job based on the location, which is in a beautiful lake district of the upper midwest. Like I said, to each his/her own, i guess
 
You think that is small?

No, quite the opposite. I grew up in a town of 1900 people. The closest "city" was about 1.5 hours away and the population there was about 150,000.

I agree with sleazye that it sort of explains the "OMG no jobs!" threads.
 
I would be happy with that. "Middle of nowhere" to me means 50,000 or less and 4-5 hours away from a big city.

That would be BFE.

It goes like this. With examples.

1) Somewhere/Suburbs of somewhere. A place people have heard of. (ex. Pittsburgh and perhaps its suburb, Monroeville)
2) Near somewhere. Up to an hour and a half from a place people have heard of. (ex. Morgantown, WV, 70 miles from Pittsburgh)
3) Trying to be somewhere. A city of at least 100,000 people, but certainly not a major city. You've got everything you need, but there isn't a significant city atmosphere, nor amenities. (I dunno...maybe McAllen, TX)
4) Middle of Nowhere. Nobody knows where it is, but you at least have some stuff...maybe a Best Buy...a Target...a decent movie theater...mall, etc. (ex. Huntington, WV, a town of 50,000...but 3+ hours from the nearest major city.)
5) B.F.E. Nobody knows anything about its existence. People from the same state don't even know where it is. You have a Walmart and that's it. (ex. Logan, WV. God help you if you are forced to live there)
6) Hell itself. It's pretty much you and a few other yokels. The nearest Walmart is 45 minutes away. You might have a redneck gas station nearby. And they sell milk for $5.99/gal. Because they can. Don't have a medical emergency...because the nearest hospital can't save your life...and its an hour away, anyway. (ex. Man, WV. *shudders*)

I find #1 or #2 acceptable. #3 wouldn't be as nice, but its doable. #4 I could deal with, begrudgingly. #5 would suck and I'd be perpetually depressed. #6 is my own personal hell.

I currently find myself in category #1 and I'm giddy about it. Especially being that I grew up in category #4, went to college in category #2, and almost wound up in category #3...
 
Last edited:
I think I live in #4.5. We have Target, no Best Buy. Went to undergrad in #5.5, have lived in a few #1s.

With the interwebs, I can find almost anything I need to buy. We still do about the same stuff we did when we lived in a big metro area - go out to eat, rent movies, go to a bar. But we spend a hell of a lot less money now. Actually, we do more here with community activities - coed sports, hanging with neighbors, stuff like that, than we did when we lived in #1. I'm mostly a homebody anyway. If we want to catch MLB, we can make the drive.
 
I think I live in #4.5. We have Target, no Best Buy. Went to undergrad in #5.5, have lived in a few #1s.

With the interwebs, I can find almost anything I need to buy. We still do about the same stuff we did when we lived in a big metro area - go out to eat, rent movies, go to a bar. But we spend a hell of a lot less money now. Actually, we do more here with community activities - coed sports, hanging with neighbors, stuff like that, than we did when we lived in #1. I'm mostly a homebody anyway. If we want to catch MLB, we can make the drive.

Well, to each their own. If you can appreciate the BFE lifestyle...it is certainly cheaper.

Though you don't get internet speeds like
1152708066.png
in BFE. That's something else I couldn't handle. I need a fast connection to watch ESPN3 and Netflix in HD...
 
That would be BFE.

It goes like this. With examples.

1) Somewhere/Suburbs of somewhere. A place people have heard of. (ex. Pittsburgh and perhaps its suburb, Monroeville)
2) Near somewhere. Up to an hour and a half from a place people have heard of. (ex. Morgantown, WV, 70 miles from Pittsburgh)
3) Trying to be somewhere. A city of at least 100,000 people, but certainly not a major city. You've got everything you need, but there isn't a significant city atmosphere, nor amenities. (I dunno...maybe McAllen, TX)
4) Middle of Nowhere. Nobody knows where it is, but you at least have some stuff...maybe a Best Buy...a Target...a decent movie theater...mall, etc. (ex. Huntington, WV, a town of 50,000...but 3+ hours from the nearest major city.)
5) B.F.E. Nobody knows anything about its existence. People from the same state don't even know where it is. You have a Walmart and that's it. (ex. Logan, WV. God help you if you are forced to live there)
6) Hell itself. It's pretty much you and a few other yokels. The nearest Walmart is 45 minutes away. You might have a redneck gas station nearby. And they sell milk for $5.99/gal. Because they can. Don't have a medical emergency...because the nearest hospital can't save your life...and its an hour away, anyway. (ex. Man, WV. *shudders*)

I find #1 or #2 acceptable. #3 wouldn't be as nice, but its doable. #4 I could deal with, begrudgingly. #5 would suck and I'd be perpetually depressed. #6 is my own personal hell.

I currently find myself in category #1 and I'm giddy about it. Especially being that I grew up in category #4, went to college in category #2, and almost wound up in category #3...

another EXCELLENT post.

One of my good friends lives in logan, WV , and he has had so many medical errors happen to his family , he is at the point of refusing medical care in basically any situation

My goal for a job is #5 .. I dont need amenities and if I can get 5mbps from a local dsl telco i'll be fine for now. I have some beautiful areas in mind in wisconsin that no one's heard of. #4 would be acceptable, #3, too big , too many people.
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, just received the details of a job offer for a clinical/staff decentralized position in a hospital:

Clinical duties:
-Order verification
-standard clinical tasks (vanc/AG, IV to PO, HIT, etc)
-Informal rounds with allied health (nurses, dieticians, etc)
-Anti-Coag clinic
-Heart Failure Education

-103k to start, with 2k raises every year to a 121k max
-Four 10 hour shifts, days, every 4th weekend
-$2500 relocation
-$10,000/yr loan repayment for up to 6 years
-401k
-M/D/V

This being my first job is there anything I should consider before accepting? Any advice for possible negotiation? Any input is appreciated, thanks

Congrats, we should all be so lucky, and thank you for giving us that glimmer of hope. I would have accepted this job yesterday. Almost 5 weeks vacation, really?
 
What's the match on that 401K? And how firm is that max salary? (i.e. will you be still making that max if you are there 15 years from now? Or does that increase with time as well?)

Seems like an amazing offer that I would immediately jump on. (Currently in an "ideal" retail situation.)
 
Hello All,

First off...Congratulations!!! That's awesome that you were able to get a hospital job/clinical position without doing a residency? Do you have hospital experience? Any tips for others (im also a p-4), who desire a hospital job without a residency. I signed on with a major retail chain for after I graduate, but would like to also work part time or per diem at a hospital. Any tips???
 
What's the match on that 401K? And how firm is that max salary? (i.e. will you be still making that max if you are there 15 years from now? Or does that increase with time as well?)

Seems like an amazing offer that I would immediately jump on. (Currently in an "ideal" retail situation.)

The match is low: 0.50 to 1 up to 4%

Hello All,

First off...Congratulations!!! That's awesome that you were able to get a hospital job/clinical position without doing a residency? Do you have hospital experience? Any tips for others (im also a p-4), who desire a hospital job without a residency. I signed on with a major retail chain for after I graduate, but would like to also work part time or per diem at a hospital. Any tips???

I had three summers of hospital experience. Two of which were seeing patients at an anticoag clinic one day per week, working in the ICU, rounding, doing the clinical task with pharmacist supervision. I would guess that this is a good thing for students to do.

Just finished negotiations and was able to get a 7 on 7 off day schedule at $57/hr.
 
The match is low: 0.50 to 1 up to 4%



I had three summers of hospital experience. Two of which were seeing patients at an anticoag clinic one day per week, working in the ICU, rounding, doing the clinical task with pharmacist supervision. I would guess that this is a good thing for students to do.

Just finished negotiations and was able to get a 7 on 7 off day schedule at $57/hr.

Congrats on the job offer! Your job sounds awesome! Plus, you were able to get 7 on 7 off, which is a definite plus. 👍

Did you have to sign a contract to work for them for X amount of years?
 
That would be BFE.

It goes like this. With examples.

1) Somewhere/Suburbs of somewhere. A place people have heard of. (ex. Pittsburgh and perhaps its suburb, Monroeville)
2) Near somewhere. Up to an hour and a half from a place people have heard of. (ex. Morgantown, WV, 70 miles from Pittsburgh)
3) Trying to be somewhere. A city of at least 100,000 people, but certainly not a major city. You've got everything you need, but there isn't a significant city atmosphere, nor amenities. (I dunno...maybe McAllen, TX)
4) Middle of Nowhere. Nobody knows where it is, but you at least have some stuff...maybe a Best Buy...a Target...a decent movie theater...mall, etc. (ex. Huntington, WV, a town of 50,000...but 3+ hours from the nearest major city.)
5) B.F.E. Nobody knows anything about its existence. People from the same state don't even know where it is. You have a Walmart and that's it. (ex. Logan, WV. God help you if you are forced to live there)
6) Hell itself. It's pretty much you and a few other yokels. The nearest Walmart is 45 minutes away. You might have a redneck gas station nearby. And they sell milk for $5.99/gal. Because they can. Don't have a medical emergency...because the nearest hospital can't save your life...and its an hour away, anyway. (ex. Man, WV. *shudders*)

I find #1 or #2 acceptable. #3 wouldn't be as nice, but its doable. #4 I could deal with, begrudgingly. #5 would suck and I'd be perpetually depressed. #6 is my own personal hell.

I currently find myself in category #1 and I'm giddy about it. Especially being that I grew up in category #4, went to college in category #2, and almost wound up in category #3...

I'm aiming for #3 when I graduate. I love the rural midwest! 😍
And congrats on the job! Sounds great!