Hospital Jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RubRoss LSU

Trumpet Extraordinare
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey There,

How would one go about in obtaining a hospital position as an undergrad? I hear people talk of being an ER scribe all the time.... how do they get those positions?

Any helpful input would be great!

Thanks,

Ross

Members don't see this ad.

RubRoss LSU said:
Hey There,

How would one go about in obtaining a hospital position as an undergrad? I hear people talk of being an ER scribe all the time.... how do they get those positions?

Any helpful input would be great!

Thanks,

Ross

Ross,

I don't know where you're living (B.R. or New Orleans), but I've been volunteering at Children's Hospital here in New Orleans. Of course, i'm not paid, but I work in the O.R. and Anesthesia Stock room.

Also, I know there are surgery centers in Lafayette, that allow undergrads to work in an operating room type setting.

A friend of mine worked at EJGH as a O.R. cleanup guy.... His dad's an ENT, but I'm sure you just have to apply, I don't think his job was any kinda special consideration.

Jbienven said:
Ross,

I don't know where you're living (B.R. or New Orleans), but I've been volunteering at Children's Hospital here in New Orleans. Of course, i'm not paid, but I work in the O.R. and Anesthesia Stock room.

Also, I know there are surgery centers in Lafayette, that allow undergrads to work in an operating room type setting.

A friend of mine worked at EJGH as a O.R. cleanup guy.... His dad's an ENT, but I'm sure you just have to apply, I don't think his job was any kinda special consideration.

Thanks man,

I'm in BR right now at LSU. I guess I'll scout around the area hospitals to see what's available. How did you apply for those jobs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Try submitting an application at the HR department of your local hospital. Also, keep an eye on craigslist (or whatever regional bulletin board is used in your area). Good luck

RubRoss LSU said:
Thanks man,

I'm in BR right now at LSU. I guess I'll scout around the area hospitals to see what's available. How did you apply for those jobs?

I called the Volunteer office at the hospital, they are more than helpful.

For the other ones, just apply to the HR dept, like Flop said.

What year in college are you Ross? fishie/soph/junior/senior? You could start out by volunteering at a local ER or OR, and after a few months apply for a paid position. Try to get to know the human resources ppl for the position you want (doesn't have to be personal, but be persistent in showing your interest). Ask around to find out who they are. Then get a recommendation from your volunteering coordinator when you apply for the position (make sure there's an opening too).

I was fortunate to have a friend who worked at a local hospital in Austin, and he referred me. Before he got the job, another premed that worked at the hospital referred him. It definitely helps to have referrals, so try to get to know other premeds who might have jobs at hospitals. Almost every new person they hired while I worked there was related to someone that was already working there.

I volunteered at another hospital before I got that job, so I already had a little bit of clinical experience. My job at the OR involved a lot of cleaning, restocking, lab deliveries, blood deliveries, and helping the nurses when they prepped the patients. When I switched to the night shift after several months, I got to watch a lot more since there were only 1 or 2 surgeries going at a time. I saw some crazy stuff :eek: The pay is higher for the night shift too. Good luck!

I know I've said this a million times, but I'll say it again. Make sure you know why you want to have a job in the hospital. Your more important goal is to understand healthcare delivery as much as possible, preferably with an MD.