Hospital outpatient or BOP inspector?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walgreen123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an offer from BOP inspector, but the salary and benefit is really much lower than the hospital outpatient job I am waiting for the interview result. I applied for the inspector job long time ago when I was working at Wag. It's a no brainer to take the pay cut to be an inspector comparing to Wag. But now I have been working as per diem in the hospital for a while and finally a full time position coming up. The pay will be 40K lower compared to the hospital and 2 fewer holidays. However, I THINK (just think, because I don't know) the stress level probably is much lower than hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally wouldn't want to be driving all over Gods green earth making sure people are displaying their licenses in a non-conspicuous place.

Reactions: 2 users
I personally wouldn't want to be driving all over Gods green earth making sure people are displaying their licenses in a non-conspicuous place.
Yea, the older I get the less I like driving. I wouldn't mind being an inspector for a year or two, but after awhile I could see that job being really annoying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too, I don't like driving. The BOP job is 25% inspection, 75% others like investigation and mediate complaints. It's a work from home job except going to the field to do inspection. Hospital job is 45 minutes one way.

I feel like the paycut would motivate me to stay away.

I would ask myself which position I can best leverage to go in the direction you want to go?

Very state dependent. I know one in North Dakota who basically drives across the state for their inspections, but the permittees being almost all owner operators are pretty straightforward and are recognized (and has had to camp out for a couple of days with a car breakdown in the middle of nowhere ND which can suck in winter). The pay is absurdly low, but it allows him to stay there. That's only one state.

In AZ, it is almost certain that the rank and file pharmacists in the community and administration in the hospitals know the inspector assigned to oversee the area, and all of them are at least collegial if not outright friendly. So while there is a drive, the day-to-day interactions are friendly.

I would not want to do it if I covered CA or NV. I am also aware that for CA, there are specific issues in being an inspector and Sacramento is poorly managed.

The other issue is professional competency and skills retention. If you leave practice for too long, it is impossible to return. This is why many Board Inspectors consider the job a terminal one, they stay whether they like it or not. If you take the Inspector job, try at least to keep another locum on the side to keep those skills up on the weekends.

Reactions: 1 users
Compared to Walgreens either job sounds like an oasis in the middle of the desert.

Reactions: 1 user
There are two BOP inspector positions currently posted in my state and I was shocked at the low salary and variance in salary. County 1 has a salary range of 21-27$/hr and county two is 27-41$/hr. Not a drastic COL difference between the two counties either