Hospital Pharm Tech pay: Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joe9100

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a job as a technician in a hospital in chicago. My pay is 12.00 per hour. Doesn't that seem kinda low?? I didn't negotiate the price (should I have?), i simply accepted what they said. I have no experience but I am seeing other people getting pay like 14-16 working at the hospital. What are you guys getting in the hospital preferably in chicago but you can still include your pay if your some where else. The primary reason for the job is to get the experience, but it would be a nice benefit if i was pay what others are getting pay too.

Members don't see this ad.

In the hospital I used to work at, techs get between 20-30 an hour I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, where do you live? 20-23 is amazing, I hope I am not being taken advantage of by my hospital since i have no exp.

I don't think you are being taken advantage of. The only people I've heard making 20ish/hr have been there for years. I make 11/hr (which include a 1$ 2nd shift premium and I get another $1 over the weekend). Woopee :) Many of our techs work multiple jobs bc the pay is so scanty.

California, which is probably why.

$12 in Chicago market for a new hospital pharm tech is a little low, but not out of line.

It'd be difficult at this point to negotiate a better pay. Plus, remember that you have no experience whatsoever. Are other "inexperienced" people getting the same pay? You can always check with your co-workers and such when you start. Good luck.

If you are needing more money see if you will get a raise if you become certified. If so ask your supervisor how to become certified.

I received almost a 2 dollar raise for being nationally certified.