Hospital Podiatry and Podiatrists in medical social situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattjgold

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Podiatric Physicians,

I am a pre-med/pre-pod student (still trying to make up my mind) and I just wanted to know the title for podiatrists in hospitals. Not looking to offend anyone as I am nothing but a clueless undergrad student. Just so you all know, I am the president of the podiatry club at my school! Nevertheless, are podiatrists called doctor in the hospitals? I know in private practices they are. For example, the ER doctor refers a patient over to you, will they say "Doctor so-and-so, line 3050" on the loud speaker or would they just call you by your first name. I am aware that podiatrists are medical professionals and go through similar clinical rotations as MD/DO students, so they are very well-balanced. I just don't know if it sounds misleading and such. Lastly, if I pursue podiatry and become a DPM and I'm walking through the mall and a person decides to have a heart attack in front of me, would I be able to stabilize him/her or say "Hey, I'm a doctor, I can help!" I would appreciate some clarification. Thank you docs!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Podiatric Physicians,

I am a pre-med/pre-pod student (still trying to make up my mind) and I just wanted to know the title for podiatrists in hospitals. Not looking to offend anyone as I am nothing but a clueless undergrad student. Just so you all know, I am the president of the podiatry club at my school! Nevertheless, are podiatrists called doctor in the hospitals? I know in private practices they are. For example, the ER doctor refers a patient over to you, will they say "Doctor so-and-so, line 3050" on the loud speaker or would they just call you by your first name. I am aware that podiatrists are medical professionals and go through similar clinical rotations as MD/DO students, so they are very well-balanced. I just don't know if it sounds misleading and such. Lastly, if I pursue podiatry and become a DPM and I'm walking through the mall and a person decides to have a heart attack in front of me, would I be able to stabilize him/her or say "Hey, I'm a doctor, I can help!" I would appreciate some clarification. Thank you docs!

Yes

Members don't see this ad :)
^ What dtrack said. They'll call you "Dr." and if you feel like helping someone out as you're walking through the mall, go ahead. I've heard many stories of podiatrist being the only doctor on an airplane when they call over the intercom for one or being the first person on the scene of a car accident or some other medical emergency. Before you start your rotations, you'll probably have to become BLS and ACLS certified and some hospitals will want you to keep those certifications active as an attending.

Reactions: 2 users
^ What dtrack said. They'll call you "Dr." and if you feel like helping someone out as you're walking through the mall, go ahead. I've heard many stories of podiatrist being the only doctor on an airplane when they call over the intercom for one or being the first person on the scene of a car accident or some other medical emergency. Before you start your rotations, you'll probably have to become BLS and ACLS certified and some hospitals will want you to keep those certifications active as an attending.
Sounds incredible. This is a bit off topic, but since you both replied, any ideas for some activities to do for my podiatry club at my university? I planned on having a podiatrist come in and speak, aquatics volunteer for children with special needs and etc.

Sounds incredible. This is a bit off topic, but since you both replied, any ideas for some activities to do for my podiatry club at my university? I planned on having a podiatrist come in and speak, aquatics volunteer for children with special needs and etc.
Don't get me wrong. If I'm diaphoretic with chest pain and palpitations on an airplane, I'm not hoping that the doctor on the plane is a podiatrist. I'm just saying that podiatrist happen to be in the right place at the right time.

As far as your podiatry club, I don't have much experience with that. I'd try to find a podiatry student and resident to come and talk as well. Other than that, I don't have much to offer.

Reactions: 1 user
We refer to podiatrists as doctors in my hospital and they have full privileges. It can be kind of annoying, as I would frequently call them and they would be unable to help me with cardiopulmonary issues (as many of their patients had comorbidities outside their scope of practice) and we'd have to call a consult, but otherwise they were treated like any other doctor.

We refer to podiatrists as doctors in my hospital and they have full privileges. It can be kind of annoying, as I would frequently call them and they would be unable to help me with cardiopulmonary issues (as many of their patients had comorbidities outside their scope of practice) and we'd have to call a consult, but otherwise they were treated like any other doctor.

Why would you ask them to help with cardiopulmonary issues?

At my program we function just like our ortho colleagues. We are only primary on ortho trauma patients without any comorbidities (ok, so we'll take someone with HTN or HLD, but no diabetics). Everyone else gets a medicine admit and we are simply a consulting surgical service. Nobody from podiatry or ortho is "helping" with anything that isn't MSK related. As it should be.

Why would you ask them to help with cardiopulmonary issues?

At my program we function just like our ortho colleagues. We are only primary on ortho trauma patients without any comorbidities (ok, so we'll take someone with HTN or HLD, but no diabetics). Everyone else gets a medicine admit and we are simply a consulting surgical service. Nobody from podiatry or ortho is "helping" with anything that isn't MSK related. As it should be.
They admit patients to the hospital under their service if they are uncomplicated, for which they are the primary provider. As an RT, if their patient starts going South, I need them to call a med consult, I can't do it myself as a non-physician. This often results in long games of pager and phone tag, particularly after 7 pm.

Our ortho service can also be primary providers for patients that are in for primarily orthopedic issues and few comorbidities. Both the ortho and podiatry services have a small inpatient census that they primarily are caring for, but when you notice your patient is under either service, everyone wants to flip tables when something goes wrong because you know they're either in the OR or off campus most of the time.

Last edited:
For example, the ER doctor refers a patient over to you, will they say "Doctor so-and-so, line 3050" on the loud speaker or would they just call you by your first name.

I got a chuckle out of the image of a page over the hospital PA system, "Hey Dave. Pick up line 3050."

In professional situations people usually refer to me as "doctor" unless I'm speaking privately with a colleague, in which case we usually go by first names.

I demand that my kids address me as "doctor" or "your majesty" but they have yet to comply.

Reactions: 5 users
I got a chuckle out of the image of a page over the hospital PA system, "Hey Dave. Pick up line 3050."

In professional situations people usually refer to me as "doctor" unless I'm speaking privately with a colleague, in which case we usually go by first names.

I demand that my kids address me as "doctor" or "your majesty" but they have yet to comply.
That's funny, one day they will. Will the podiatry jokes ever stop??? My cousin just got into NYCPM and my grandpa kept saying "A truly amazing step. I'm glad you got a good foot on things and you were able to get your foot in the door to create a strong foothold at the medical college." I do love podiatry jokes though! Hahaha

Reactions: 1 users
They are called doctors just like dentists (There were a couple oral surgeons with DDS degree where I worked) . They practice medicine. They had all the perks (physician parking space, physician lounge etc... ) that physicians got. I still don't get why podiatry school isn't more competitive that it is now...

That's funny, one day they will. Will the podiatry jokes ever stop??? My cousin just got into NYCPM and my grandpa kept saying "A truly amazing step. I'm glad you got a good foot on things and you were able to get your foot in the door to create a strong foothold at the medical college." I do love podiatry jokes though! Hahaha
Not gonna lie, I wish someone congratulated me like this.

They are called doctors just like dentists (There were a couple oral surgeons with DDS degree where I worked) . They practice medicine. They had all the perks (physician parking space, physician lounge etc... ) that physicians got. I still don't get why podiatry school isn't more competitive that it is now...
Sounds cool! Pod school is getting more competitive, medicine and podiatry itself is becoming a lot more demanding as we approach the shortage. Of what I've heard, despite the residency problems, podiatry has a very bright future and those who actually have an interest and passion for the field should consider pursuing. Hoping I can convince my fellow undergrads!

Have a local podiatrist come and speak about how often he is or isn't call doctor while working in a hospital.