Hospital Privileges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurogeneral

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am currently in the process of applying for other jobs, which means inevitably applying for hospital privileges. I am applying specifically for tele-neurology jobs which are asking for six references.

However, I am having a hard time coming up with the required recent professional/peer references from my work, which will be needed to obtain hospital privileges.

After fellowship, I have spent about four years at my current place of employment doing both outpatient and inpatient work. In my local practice site, it’s just me and one other neurologist. I have a department chair that I meet with once every 6-12 months but that’s about it.

Obviously, I will ask my practice colleague and likely my chair. But after that, I am not so sure whom else…..

Anyone encountered this type of situation? Any advice would be appreciated…..

Members don't see this ad.

They don't all have to be neurologist references.

Ask co-residents, previous fellows, maybe hospitalists or ICU docs you know.

It's essentially vouching for "this guy is not insane or unethical, and actually shows up to work" more than your knowledge base or competency as a neurologist at least if memory serves.

So, I am currently in the process of applying for other jobs, which means inevitably applying for hospital privileges. I am applying specifically for tele-neurology jobs which are asking for six references.

However, I am having a hard time coming up with the required recent professional/peer references from my work, which will be needed to obtain hospital privileges.

After fellowship, I have spent about four years at my current place of employment doing both outpatient and inpatient work. In my local practice site, it’s just me and one other neurologist. I have a department chair that I meet with once every 6-12 months but that’s about it.

Obviously, I will ask my practice colleague and likely my chair. But after that, I am not so sure whom else…..

Anyone encountered this type of situation? Any advice would be appreciated…..
Ask your company for help. They will be very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will definitely ask some inpatient medicine and critical care docs.

In regards to previous co-fellows and co-residents, I have definitely kept in touch with them and they would be willing to serve as refernces but one caveat in this tele-neurology preapplication is that they want to know if I get four neurologist references with whom I have worked with in the “past two years”.

You could also ask any ER physicians you have worked with for references.

Not to derail your thread, but a couple of teleneurology-related questions: you mentioned that you have done both inpatient and outpatient work, but have you done acute stroke calls in the past two years? I ask because I know that teleneurology companies want acute stroke patient logs, so I wanted to know exactly how stringent that is.

Also, will the teleneurology companies collect the references you provide and submit them to the individual hospitals as well, or will your references have to provide individual references for every single hospital?

I called the company to explain my situation and they are fine with any neurologists that you work directly with or under or even any neurologists that you happen to run cases by on a recurrent basis (former colleagues from residency/fellowship, etc). A couple of of the references can be non-neurologist physicians as well - so these can be hospitalists, ER docs, ICU docs, etc.

I believe the references are for hospital privileges. So I am assuming many hospitals (especially those of different health systems) will have their own form they want the references to fill out. So yeah, the references will get contacted repeatedly to fill out multiple forms unfortunately.

Not to derail your thread, but a couple of teleneurology-related questions: you mentioned that you have done both inpatient and outpatient work, but have you done acute stroke calls in the past two years? I ask because I know that teleneurology companies want acute stroke patient logs, so I wanted to know exactly how stringent that is.

Also, will the teleneurology companies collect the references you provide and submit them to the individual hospitals as well, or will your references have to provide individual references for every single hospital?

Yes, I have done some acute stroke calls. Our acute stroke calls tend to be over the phone though and not over video link. But it’s not something I do on a routine basis.

The jobs I am applying for are tele-neurohospitalist work. They entail rounding in the hospitals primarily and just being on back-up stroke call just in the case tele-stroke guys are getting slammed.