songaila

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
After competing residencies, can one be hired in the hospital? I see most pods in private practices. Which states are easier to be hired in the hospital.

D

Dr_Feelgood

I don't know which would be easier but the answer is easy. Most of the residencies are at hospitals with podiatrist that are on staff.

jonwill

Podiatrist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
Southwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
After competing residencies, can one be hired in the hospital? I see most pods in private practices. Which states are easier to be hired in the hospital.

After residency, pods work for multispecialty groups, ortho groups, hospitals, and private practice. I don't think any way is particularly easier.

About the Ads

KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2003
chicagoland
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
Just like DOs and MDs, most DPMs have both a private practice and hospital privileges. How else would they be able to do surgeries? How long it takes to get privileges is going to vary from hospital to hospital. The dpm that I shadowed said that it took him a little while here in the burbs of Chicago. That may have had something to do with saturation. Immediately after his residency in Michigan, he had a practice there and had no problems getting on the hospital staff. But, here it took a bit longer. Of course that was also 20 years ago, so it's even more saturated now. Networking has got to be the key in some of these areas.

Feli

Übermensch
10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Ariz
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatrist
Podiatrists can definetly work in hospitals - nearly every good sized hospital will have at least a couple of them.

Private practice podiatrists also often contract with a hospital or contract/ownership in an ambulatory surgery center to use the ORs there.

songalia, not to be rude, but all of your threads in this forum seem centered around insecurity about entering podiatry due to a possible lack of respect. Being a DPM is just like anything... you earn respect. Intelligence is fake, but competence is real. Pick a career that interests you, work hard, apply yourself, and you'll do great. Having confidence in yourself and your career choice will go a long way towards that successful end point.

KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2003
chicagoland
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
Podiatrists can definetly work in hospitals - nearly every good sized hospital will have at least a couple of them.

Private practice podiatrists also often contract with a hospital or contract/ownership in an ambulatory surgery center to use the ORs there.

songalia, not to be rude, but all of your threads in this forum seem centered around insecurity about entering podiatry due to a possible lack of respect. Being a DPM is just like anything... you earn respect. Intelligence is fake, but competence is real. Pick a career that interests you, work hard, apply yourself, and you'll do great.

:thumbup: Well said.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
How long it takes to get privileges is going to vary from hospital to hospital. The dpm that I shadowed said that it took him a little while here in the burbs of Chicago. That may have had something to do with saturation. Immediately after his residency in Michigan, he had a practice there and had no problems getting on the hospital staff. But, here it took a bit longer. Of course that was also 20 years ago, so it's even more saturated now. Networking has got to be the key in some of these areas.

I didnt understood this part. So you mean you dont get priveledges just like that. Can you please mention what factors count in to get Hospital Priviledges. And why is it hard to get?

KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2003
chicagoland
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
I wish I could tell you all of the factors that go into getting privileges. Maybe a 4th year or resident can fill you in on specifics. All I know is that any physician has to apply for privileges at a hospital. I saw my obstetrician go through this process when I was pregnant. He had rights at one local hospital, but it took longer to get on staff at a more sought after hospital. The hospital might not need a specific specialty at a given time. I also know of another OB/GYN who was denied privileges at two different hospitals in the area...he ended up moving out of the state after his attempts failed.

krabmas

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 15, 2004
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I wish I could tell you all of the factors that go into getting privileges. Maybe a 4th year or resident can fill you in on specifics. All I know is that any physician has to apply for privileges at a hospital. I saw my obstetrician go through this process when I was pregnant. He had rights at one local hospital, but it took longer to get on staff at a more sought after hospital. The hospital might not need a specific specialty at a given time. I also know of another OB/GYN who was denied privileges at two different hospitals in the area...he ended up moving out of the state after his attempts failed.

Different hospitals have different requirements which can be: (but are not limited to)

DEA number
Medicare medicaid number
board certification
diploma from pod school
passing liscensing exam - proof
amonst other things

P

PureBlue

songalia, not to be rude, but all of your threads in this forum seem centered around insecurity about entering podiatry due to a possible lack of respect. Being a DPM is just like anything... you earn respect. Intelligence is fake, but competence is real. Pick a career that interests you, work hard, apply yourself, and you'll do great. Having confidence in yourself and your career choice will go a long way towards that successful end point.

I agree feli. Are DPM's allowed in the physician's lounge? :laugh: :laugh: Hmm...
I wonder what the D stands for in DPM.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.