if you had your choice.. private practice vs. hospital vs. ortho group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychPod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
which one do you want to pursue and why?
if private practice, do you want to be very very general or have a more "specialty"?
if hospital physician, what would draw you to that?
if ortho group, any reason other than money?

just getting some conversation going!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely private practice - I think we're specialized enough that doing everything afforded by the field would be what I'd like to do. Private practice viability is one of the main reasons I chose podiatry specifically, actually.

I shadowed three podiatrists this week. All three of them prefer the autonomy of private practice but sees hospital and ortho groups as the way of the future (reluctantly so as well).

Just do what makes you happy. And if your pocket allows you to set up your own private practice, do it!!

Members don't see this ad :)
One of our profs for our practice management course told us that only 10% of us will be going into private practice. I'm not sure if that falls under the category of a group practice.

It is one of those things too if you join a hospital or that your starting salary is higher, but raises after that are the mercy of the hospital. If you join a private practice then initial wages are lower, but theoretically the sky is the limit

My income is currently based on the RVU model. The more I produce the more I will make. My limits will be due my ability to see tons of patients. There are a lot of perks to be in a hospital based practice than just salary.

My income is currently based on the RVU model. The more I produce the more I will make. My limits will be due my ability to see tons of patients. There are a lot of perks to be in a hospital based practice than just salary.
Hi, I have a few questions.
1) How is the work schedule? Do you get called in a lot (like during the middle of the night/ weekend)
2) Is it competitive to get a hospital job? Like you have to attend distinguished residency or school.
3) Your thought on fellowship.
4) Do you enjoy your current lifestyle.
5) Do you have time for your hobbies/ breaks/ etc?

Hi, I have a few questions.
1) How is the work schedule? Do you get called in a lot (like during the middle of the night/ weekend)
2) Is it competitive to get a hospital job? Like you have to attend distinguished residency or school.
3) Your thought on fellowship.
4) Do you enjoy your current lifestyle.
5) Do you have time for your hobbies/ breaks/ etc?

1. I have four outpatient locations plus the center. Some of the locations I only go to once a month. The clinics run 8 to 4 pm. I have one day a week set aside for surgery but if I don't have surgery that day will become a clinic day. I don't take call none of the podiatrist do. Each podiatrist makes "pull list" of the type of patients you want to see so if you don't want see routine care patients you don't have to. One of the podiatrist here sees no nail care, no diabetic foot care.
2. I would say it can be pretty competitive. I went to NYCPM and I didn't do a "top program" but I was aggressive in my job search.
3. I think they can be helpful if you are looking for additional training
4. I do. I've here for less than a month but It's a good balance I work when I'm scheduled and I have my weekends off and have no call.
5. photography, travel and I still plan to do my first 5k, 10k etc. My wife and I are planning our next vacation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users