Hospital v. Out-Patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pvt27

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if it would be wiser to do OB/GYN and IM in a hospital setting or an out-patient clinic where the doc goes to the hospital as well. I just need some pros and cons in regards to choosing a rotation in the two settings. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have no interest in ob-gyn then for GOD'S SAKE do it outpatient. Seriously, nothing good comes from dealing with obgyn residents and the call hours. You have the opportunity of a lifetime here, one that most of us would kill to have, please please PLEASE take it.

As for IM, I think its probably better to do inpatient so you can get some quality education concerning critical care and everyday inpatient management. Despite the call and such, there is some worth to inpatient IM for med students going into pretty much ANY field.

Members don't see this ad :)
outpatient is so freakin boring, yeah it might be easy but d@mn if it doesn't just make the days drag like Rupaul
oh yeah inpatient breeds ennui too, but on ob you can hide in the call room or caf
so that can be cool

inpatient gyn you're in surg which is alright of course if you like the OR, and if you're into the whole separating women from their uteruses thing
step 1. wheel woman in
2. anesthetize
3. perform "exam under anesthesia", or grutuitous bimanualation
4. cut/burn/morcellate out uterus, or actually you'll retract
5. repeat

I'd go inpatient on both. You need the Labor & Delivery aspect of OB. Even if you don't do OB as a profession, it's worth it to see how things are done in case of an emergency and for boards. IM should be inpatient since clinic IM is mostly FP without the peds and a little more elderly people.

If we are interested in EM should prob go inpatient right? Yeah it might be miserable but we will need to know how to take care of OB emergencies.

BMW-

I'd go inpatient on both. You need the Labor & Delivery aspect of OB. Even if you don't do OB as a profession, it's worth it to see how things are done in case of an emergency and for boards. IM should be inpatient since clinic IM is mostly FP without the peds and a little more elderly people.