Hospital Volunteer Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subwayrider

'Ello
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interviewing for a position as a hospital volunteer in this new program. It's apparently pretty competitive. It's said that the interview could be up to 2.5 hours long. Does anyone have any idea the questions they might ask? How should I prepare for it?

Members don't see this ad.

Have an answer to why you want to volunteer there and what you expect to get out of it. That's pretty much all they asked me and if I plan to complete their required 100 hours/year agreement. Never heard of "competitive" volunteer spots for transporting patient and labs.

Have an answer to why you want to volunteer there and what you expect to get out of it. That's pretty much all they asked me and if I plan to complete their required 100 hours/year agreement. Never heard of "competitive" volunteer spots for transporting patient and labs.

i applied to a hospital that accepted 1/4 to 1/3 of applicants. It was very competitive. The hospital i'm at now accepts applications twice a year, requires two letters of rec, and is usually full of college volunteers. not sure if it is as competitive, but it was annoyingly difficult for such a boring opportunity.

:(

Members don't see this ad :)
i applied to a hospital that accepted 1/4 to 1/3 of applicants. It was very competitive. The hospital i'm at now accepts applications twice a year, requires two letters of rec, and is usually full of college volunteers. not sure if it is as competitive, but it was annoyingly difficult for such a boring opportunity.

:(

Wow, guess I'm lucky that the hospital I'm at isn't very selective.

I see you're location is CA- is it SFGH? Because their ED is notoriously hard to get into... 3 yr wait list of foaming at the bit pre-meds and all that.

I interviewed there and volunteer there currently, you can PM me with specific questions if you'd like!

one of the questions basically involves how well you can deal with skuzzy homeless people with scabies jumping off the gurney and onto you, etc... :)

Wow, my volunteering was apparently 100% laid back.

I see you're location is CA- is it SFGH? Because their ED is notoriously hard to get into... 3 yr wait list of foaming at the bit pre-meds and all that.

I interviewed there and volunteer there currently, you can PM me with specific questions if you'd like!

one of the questions basically involves how well you can deal with skuzzy homeless people with scabies jumping off the gurney and onto you, etc... :)

Nope, I'm in SD county.

I'd like to prepare my responses as much as possible. Although, I think they'll appreciate honesty more than mere pretty words, because I'm sure they've interviewed enough people to have an intuitive knack for sniffing out the BS.

That skuzzy homeless person question would have caught me completely off guard. Thanks! xD

I think for the most part hospitals are trying to gauge how serious you are about volunteering and want to make sure you'll stick around for whatever minimums they require and hopefully longer. This is bc it costs them money to bring you on from orientation, immunizations and tb test provided, admin stuff like your Id card and getting you in system, training, etc etc. So just emphasize you are committed and will complete your time requirements.