Hospitalist Job Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sky04

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At what point during your residency do you submit applications and start interviewing for a hospitalist job after residency?

Members don't see this ad.

At what point during your residency do you submit applications and start interviewing for a hospitalist job after residency?

I know residents that signed contracts as early as Nov. their third year and some that waited until May to really start looking. Everybody found jobs though without a problem. Heck, I was at an awards dinner last week as a fourth year student and was offered a job when I finished residency.

Members don't see this ad :)

depends how soon you want to start after residency.

if you want to start immediately after residency, say july/august, you'd need to have the paperwork (medicare number, hospital priveleges, licensing etc.) through months in advance so that those things have "cleared", allowing you to start.

for myself, i started returning e-mails and making phone calls to various recruiters and other entities back in august. i did interviews in september and october, signed a contract in late october... all with a target start date of august! my start date is anticipation of licensing (out of state) and other paperwork (medicare number, hospital priveleges), etc.

in short, the sooner you want to start, the sooner you should apply. the later you want to start, the later you can apply. in most places, there's a ton of job availability and thus you don't have to feel pressured to start early.

It varies...

I applied to my current job in March, 1 week after my wife matched. I interviewed here in April and started work in August. The hospital was really good about making sure I got my paperwork in for out-of-state licensing on time and I started w/out a hitch. I wouldn't worry too much about it...there's jobs aplenty!

I would say that it also depends on where you want to practice. There are certainly many hospitalist oportunities in small cities/towns that are desperately looking to recruit new graduates. If you plan to work in a big city (e.g. NYC, Chicago) you might want to start a bit earlier so that you get first pick on the good offers from the well known programs. I started looking november, lined up several interviews between december-january and got an offer in January. I have to say that many programs in big cities do not advertise and you may have to do a lot of calling, emailing, sending letters to HR to put yourself out there. It's a little harder if you are applying to jobs in a big city coming from a different place because you don't necessarily have the inside scoop.
If you want to have more control of the type of job/place where you want to work, then I would start earlier (November) so you can get something that is more consistent with what you want. If you don't care much where you want to work, you can definitely start much later and get whatever is available at that time. Also, keep in mind that all the stuff with licensing, credentialing, hospital priviledges takes time and you want to give yourself plenty of room to have all those things completed by July if you intend to start practicing then.
Many of my colleagues that got jobs at major university programs landed their positions by late January.

Good Luck!!

Do these programs that are recruiting, or better yet, any hospital looking for new physicians, do they often offer some sort of loan reimbursement incentives? That would be a big selling point for me...anyone know?
Thanks

Do these programs that are recruiting, or better yet, any hospital looking for new physicians, do they often offer some sort of loan reimbursement incentives? That would be a big selling point for me...anyone know?
Thanks

depends on a lot of factors. some offer loan reimbursement, but from what i've seen, they tend to be in more remote/rural/not so desirable locations.

Didn't ask around alot, but I know that the U of Michigan hospitalist program offers $10K towards student loan repayment.

The current university-based program I work for now does not though.