Hospitalist Locum Tenens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SriRam Chandran

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much do locum tenens companies charge a hospital for work done per hour when working out hospitalist contracts? Is it 200/hr? 225/hr? 250/hr?

What precludes a doc from contracting directly with hospitals? Why do they not want to work directly with docs and why do they prefer locums companies?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how much do locum tenens companies charge a hospital for work done per hour when working out hospitalist contracts? Is it 200/hr? 225/hr? 250/hr?
Assume they're paying the locums company 50-100% more than the locums folks are paying you. You'll be in the ballpark that way.

What precludes a doc from contracting directly with hospitals? Why do they not want to work directly with docs and why do they prefer locums companies?
Nothing precludes them other than laziness. Hospitals like locums agencies because it's plug and play. Docs like it because they don't want to have to do the legwork to find the positions.

I should amend my statement above to say that, if you contract with a locums company and they tell you about a position/hospital, you can't then approach that place and ask for a job outside the locums gig. The locums company will sue your pants off for breach of contract (and they will win).

I'm in the Midwest in fellowship. It was hard, but I contacted hospitals directly and only 2 out of the ~ 30 I contacted did not go through recruiter. Well, both of the 2 positions are significantly better in terms of per hour rate.

1st position:
- $180 an hour
- 10 easy admits (uncovered residency patients) a night (access to most of the patients out patient records)
- Usually 100 patients to cover at night
- minimal specialty back up (so very sick patients are transferred out directly from ER)
- 8 bed ICU with patients seen typically in a step down/pulmonary care unit (chronic trach/vent)
- I truly enjoy serving the rural community I serve here
- Nursing staff is exceptional
- No procedures required

2nd position:
- $150 an hour
- 12 to 15 patients on my service including admits
- 1 to 2 admits a day (access to their out patient records)
- Once I complete rounding I am no longer required to be in immediate area (I am available by phone with 1 call a night)
- I cover day and night shift over weekend (48 hours)
- Great specialty back up
- No procedures required
- No codes (house staff covers)
- Rare, ICU with critical care attending available 24 hours if needed

Contrast with what recruiters offer:
- $110 an hour for cross covering work (running codes, triaging urgent calls, etc.), procedures required, ICU covered by me as well (lower end pay by recruiter)
- $165 an hour for day or night hospitalist position with close to 20 patients during day or night shift, procedures required, ICU coverage too (higher end of pay by recruiter)
- Most are $130 to 140 an hour with the requirements listed under recruiter based positions

Malpractice with tail offered by all.

I hope this helps someone, because it was a learning experience for me. I recommend taking in all the offers you can (those you find yourself and by recruiters) and requesting to shadow/asking a lot of questions to the physicians (not administrators) about the positions before signing up.

I did residency in New England and I expect rates to be lower there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the Midwest in fellowship. It was hard, but I contacted hospitals directly and only 2 out of the ~ 30 I contacted did not go through recruiter. Well, both of the 2 positions are significantly better in terms of per hour rate.

1st position:
- $180 an hour
- 10 easy admits (uncovered residency patients) a night (access to most of the patients out patient records)
- Usually 100 patients to cover at night
- minimal specialty back up (so very sick patients are transferred out directly from ER)
- 8 bed ICU with patients seen typically in a step down/pulmonary care unit (chronic trach/vent)
- I truly enjoy serving the rural community I serve here
- Nursing staff is exceptional
- No procedures required

2nd position:
- $150 an hour
- 12 to 15 patients on my service including admits
- 1 to 2 admits a day (access to their out patient records)
- Once I complete rounding I am no longer required to be in immediate area (I am available by phone with 1 call a night)
- I cover day and night shift over weekend (48 hours)
- Great specialty back up
- No procedures required
- No codes (house staff covers)
- Rare, ICU with critical care attending available 24 hours if needed

Contrast with what recruiters offer:
- $110 an hour for cross covering work (running codes, triaging urgent calls, etc.), procedures required, ICU covered by me as well (lower end pay by recruiter)
- $165 an hour for day or night hospitalist position with close to 20 patients during day or night shift, procedures required, ICU coverage too (higher end of pay by recruiter)
- Most are $130 to 140 an hour with the requirements listed under recruiter based positions

Malpractice with tail offered by all.

I hope this helps someone, because it was a learning experience for me. I recommend taking in all the offers you can (those you find yourself and by recruiters) and requesting to shadow/asking a lot of questions to the physicians (not administrators) about the positions before signing up.

I did residency in New England and I expect rates to be lower there.
This is a great post. Thanks.

For locum tenens, are there any contractual obligations as to how long you will be needed? Or is it understood from both parties that the position could be vacated with just 2 weeks notice? Furthermore, is it common to find hospitalist jobs with a one year contract?

For locum tenens, are there any contractual obligations as to how long you will be needed? Or is it understood from both parties that the position could be vacated with just 2 weeks notice?
Most of them are for X weeks/months, sometimes with a chance to renew or do temp-to-perm. But when you start a particular gig, you will have a planned end date. You, or they, may choose to extend that time (if both are agreeable), but you should assume that the "3 month contract" ends at 3 months.

Furthermore, is it common to find hospitalist jobs with a one year contract?
Almost all medical employment contracts are a year at a time. Ones that have relocation benefits or other recruitment bonuses may make you repay a portion of that if you leave sooner than the contract says. But you should be able to find a 1y hospitalist gig without too much trouble.

Reactions: 1 user
Most of them are for X weeks/months, sometimes with a chance to renew or do temp-to-perm. But when you start a particular gig, you will have a planned end date. You, or they, may choose to extend that time (if both are agreeable), but you should assume that the "3 month contract" ends at 3 months.

Almost all medical employment contracts are a year at a time. Ones that have relocation benefits or other recruitment bonuses may make you repay a portion of that if you leave sooner than the contract says. But you should be able to find a 1y hospitalist gig without too much trouble.
Thanks!