Hospitals to Avoid in New York?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buster Douglas

Unregistered User
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I expect internship to be a painful year, but I'd like to avoid getting shot or scutted to the point of not learning in the process.

Does anyone happen to know anything about the following hospitals (esp. internship)? I'm bit more familiar with st vincent's and barnabas but I know very little about the jamaica and brooklyn programs.

Bronx St Barnabas Hospital
Brooklyn Brookdale Medical Ctr
Brooklyn Coney Island Hospital
Brooklyn Lutheran Medical Center
Brooklyn Maimonides Med Ctr
Brooklyn Wyckoff Heights Medical Center
Jamaica Jamaica Hospital Div
New York St Vincent's Midtown Hospital

Members don't see this ad.

Buster Douglas said:
I expect internship to be a painful year, but I'd like to avoid getting shot or scutted to the point of not learning in the process.

Does anyone happen to know anything about the following hospitals (esp. internship)? I'm bit more familiar with st vincent's and barnabas but I know very little about the jamaica and brooklyn programs.

Specifically what programs.. medicine? Psych? OBGYN? Too many options...sounds like you want medicine

Buster Douglas said:

I did 2 months of medicine at St. B's.

Pro: Seems like they work pretty hard and there is some scut, but there is some good learning going on simply due to the high volume and very sick population. ICU is some great learning--wonderful attendings and you get some great experience. Lots of procedures. Terns do all their own blood draws. Slightly creepy part of town but not terrible.

Con: Interns seemed tired (but what intern doesn't?). Building is ancient. Nurses are rude. Food is bad. You have to hand deliver xray requests (but from my experience that appears to be what the abundant number of students are for). It didn't appear to be too many people's first choice.

Faebinder said:
Specifically what programs.. medicine? Psych? OBGYN? Too many options...sounds like you want medicine
Traditional Rotating Internship/Transitional Year

Scratch Brookdale off your list.

Buster Douglas said:

I never heard of transitional program in jamaica.

Jamaica Hospital Psych, OBGYN and the FP based there are good overall and well rounded.

Jamaica IM has pros and cons. (I'll cut/paste some of what Sophie said for my use).

Pro: Work pretty hard and there is some scut, but there is some good learning going on simply due to the high volume. ICU is some great learning. No you don't have to do your own blood drawing and no you don't carry xrays around, the radiology system is spread everywhere in the hospital and is great. Food is usually provided for daily in the afternoon conference.

Con: The program is mostly FMGs. Nurses are rude (seems to be a common theme in NY, oh oh here comes the flame from NY people). It didn't appear to be too many people's first choice. No fellowships (which is the biggest con to be honest) which means less stress on subspecialty learning. Forget about research.

Nurses are rude (seems to be a common theme in NY

They have to, its in their union contract.

f_w said:
Scratch Brookdale off your list.

I concur 100%. Brookdale is a tough hospital. The nurses are tough, the PATIENTS are tough, everyone is tough except the poor residents (they're just grouchy). There is a lot of scut (no PACS), etc. It should only be a last resort.

Having said that, some of the tough nurses are actually pretty nice once they come to trust you. Some are just right down nasty.

Good luck.

thanks for the replies.

Brooklyn anyone?

lutheran is the best of the bunch. maimonides is 6 months of real hard work and 6 months of not so bad work only if you choose the right electives

I know nothing of those programs. I know here at my hospital that the medicine transitional year is pretty good and involves very little scut.

They get alot of conference and only do two months of ICU/CCU (one each) and have a night float system. Floor ancillary staff seems decent.

I say stay away from Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx (If you can). If you must work in NYC, focus on Manhattan's acedemic hospitals.

Good Luck.

How is Staten Island?

i'm a med student right now at coney island hosp. the medicine program is ALL FMGs, mostly from india, and at least half the patients don't speak english at all (large russian, hispanic and pakistani populations) but the interns seem fairly happy although they do get stuck with a lot of scut work...overall, i would never do my residency there, even a transitional year, but like i said, the interns aren't completely miserable, so there has to be something good about it...

best hosppitals on that list is
maimonides and lutheran

forget barnabas , certainly forget jamaica,

From what I hear the only rotation worth doing at Wyckoff Heights is Peds. The OB/GYN is said to be very good but is a DO rotation. The other rotations there sound awful....especially the surgery rotation.

-peace

I say stay away from Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx (If you can). If you must work in NYC, focus on Manhattan's acedemic hospitals.

Good Luck.

ehh, a lot of people at Cornell who need to do transitional/prelim years do them at NYH Queens which everyone says it supposed to be a relatively relaxed year. And there are certainly places you want to avoid in manhattan if you don't want to get worked to death as a prelim (Bellevue for example).

I haven't seen it listed, but avoid Brooklyn Hospital like the plague. If I got sick or hurt in their ER I would get on the subway and go somewhere else.