Hot or Not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RyanMaverick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so the thread idea and title were stolen from the PreMD forum, however its still a good idea and applies directly to me.

If it were possible, would you want to know your position on a waitlist? Some do not give out numbers, but others do, and would knowing that you're #34th on the waitlist really be a good thing? What are your thoughts on that?

In the same vein (and this part applies to me), after being accepted I have the option of knowing exactly what my applicant rank was. There was 280 interviews and 120 accepted. I was accepted outright and can ask what my score was. Does anybody think this is a good idea? Why or why not?

I'm somewhat hesitant to find out my number because I'm sure I'll be somewhere in the 100-80 range, however it would be a big blow to my confidence to find out that I was 120 or 117 or something like that. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

RyanMaverick said:
Ok so the thread idea and title were stolen from the PreMD forum, however its still a good idea and applies directly to me.

If it were possible, would you want to know your position on a waitlist? Some do not give out numbers, but others do, and would knowing that you're #34th on the waitlist really be a good thing? What are your thoughts on that?

In the same vein (and this part applies to me), after being accepted I have the option of knowing exactly what my applicant rank was. There was 280 interviews and 120 accepted. I was accepted outright and can ask what my score was. Does anybody think this is a good idea? Why or why not?

I'm somewhat hesitant to find out my number because I'm sure I'll be somewhere in the 100-80 range, however it would be a big blow to my confidence to find out that I was 120 or 117 or something like that. What do you think?

your call man...if u were higher than you expect, it doesnt really change the fact u were accepted...if dead last...you were still accepted...not particularly sure why that would hurt your confidence...they dont give out letters of acceptance to people they "dont want" at their school...even if it was the kid ranked 120th

I see your point and yes being accepted was a very big deal for me. But moving forward I'm entering into a fairly rigourous program with a lot of smart classmates. Knowing that I'm one of the worst 5 students in the class would be tough starting the new semester. I did get in with the minimum GPA allowed to be considered, so I guess I already have my answer, but I'm still curious as to others thoughts on the matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot changes in Pharmacy school, people who were previously at the top of their class in their pre-pharm course work can fall to near the bottom of the class. What may have worked in the past (studying habits) may not work any more. My advise, go hardcore and start studying and mastering the material as early as possible. It's easier to recall some of the information a week before the exam than it is to begin learning it.

Best of luck.
P.S. What's the point of finding out where number you are....you're in...that's all that matters.

I'm applying this year, and let's say that I apply to a school that does what you're talking about. I think you should have a pretty good idea of where you stand after knowing what the average statistics are for admission, and what yours were. Being at the bottom of a bottle that is pretty close to the top of the shelf is still a very very good thing in my opinion. Personally I would like to know, because like the above poster mentioned, pre-pharm and the professional program are probably different for most people. So what if you were 120/120, not much is expected of you and probably graduating is good as far as the college is concerned. Being #1 would definetly carry a lot of pressure. Things change outside of school, and people certainly develop differently during the average age of most first year students (~20).