Hotel near Wayne State Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flute

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have an interview at Wayne State Medical School in early April. Does anyone know of an inexpensive hotel (motel) near the school? Because my interview is in the morning, I would like to stay closer to the school than to the airport. Thanks alot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I have an interview at Wayne State Medical School in early April. Does anyone know of an inexpensive hotel (motel) near the school? Because my interview is in the morning, I would like to stay closer to the school than to the airport. Thanks alot!

i don't know anything about hotels there but what are your stats?

Sorry,what do you mean by stats? I am actually coming from Canada. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
The list of hotels they give you is a pretty good guide. Most are close and the deals are all very good compared to the regular rates.

The list of hotels they give you is a pretty good guide. Most are close and the deals are all very good compared to the regular rates.

The Hilton Garden Inn is brand new and I was able to get a room for 99 bucks in september... though the rate tends to vary seasonally... one of my friends couldn't get anything there for less than 150 during the auto show.

I am a Canadian too, who got accepted at Wayne a while back (in oct). I stayed at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites (it was listed in the sheet they gave us). I got a discount from them since I was a Wayne state interviewee. I took a taxi from there to the school which is 5-10 mins away and the ride costs 10 bucks.

You are right it is indeed far away from the airport, but dont bother with the public transporation if you want to save money (because its dangerous and confusing and is not direct). I suggest after you land on the airport take a cab to your hotel (40-50 bucks), then take a cab to the school (10 bucks) and then another cab back to the airport from wayne (35 bucks). Though I really suggest you take the Greyhound, since the airplane ticket is so darn expensive (500 verus 150 return). I think the greyhound bus takes you directly to downtown Detroit (where the Holiday INN is at).

My interview was pretty much typical American interview: Conversational style. The usual questions were asked: why medicine? why US over canada? why wayne? Check out SDN's interview feedback for more details.

P.S the interviewee is also part of the 25 member team that eventually selects you. and she or he will persent your case to the panel. So make sure you impress them!

anyways good luck...

There is a lot of crappy motels. I wouldnt risk it.

But I would stick to the Courtyard and the Marriot downtown (over 100 bucks a night).

The holiday inn seems to be the best if you are on a budget...

i stayed at a crappy motel (vikings motel or something like that). paid $50/night. i didnt know how crappy it was until i got there but it's like a 5 min drive to the medschool and it was cheap so :thumbup:. if you're a guy or don't mind crappy, go for it. detroit isn't the greatest place in the the world but it isn't bad.

To YankeeCanuckMD,
Hi, thanks so much for your detailed suggestions. I think I may also try to contact the students on the Stay-Over Program list. Did you try that? Also, you mentioned that the person interviewing you is a member of the admissions panel, but you would only get to interact with that one person, right? Lastly, what was your impression of the school? Thank you.

To YankeeCanuckMD,
Hi, thanks so much for your detailed suggestions. I think I may also try to contact the students on the Stay-Over Program list. Did you try that? Also, you mentioned that the person interviewing you is a member of the admissions panel, but you would only get to interact with that one person, right? Lastly, what was your impression of the school? Thank you.

-No i didnt contact people on Stay-Over-Program at Wayne. But I did at some other schools. Usually its a good experience.

-Yes you only have one interview. and thats that interviewer is also on the commitee. Unlike other schools you dont get to meet the dean or anyone else.

-I thought the school was great. esp 3rd and 4th years, where the rotations at all the hospitals would be fantastic. I also like the fact that you dont have to attend all the lectures since everything is on the web 1st and 2nd years. The only things I didnt like about the school are the 1) LARGE class size 2)Living in detroit (scary place and nothing like toronto at ALL) 3) the costs for canadians (almost 70G per year). But I still heart Wayne, it was my first acceptance!