Hours and reference letters advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zliu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been keeping tabs on this forum for a long time now, but I'm finally at the point where I can actually start applying to PT schools! (super excited and super nervous).

Regarding the reference letters, I need some advice on how everyone chooses who they ask to write them a reference letter. I know a number of PTs from an inpatient rehab clinic I have been working at for over a year now, but I don't know who I should ask. Most of them have stated that they have a good impression of me and that I'm a hard worker, but I have never had very indepth or long conversations with most of the PTs there. I just do what I'm told to do and ask questions when I have them (but tbh, I don't ask too many questions). I also shadow at a private clinic, but most of the time I just watch and there isn't really any hands on stuff or any interaction with the PT.
So I just want to know, how do you guys decide on who to ask for reference letters?

Second, I see a lot of people on here have done a large number of volunteer hours (I commend you!). By the time I will be applying, I hope to have around 150 hours: 100 in inpatient rehab and ~50 in a private clinic. How does that look? Average?

Stats:
University of Windsor
Major: Biology
GPA: ~ 3.9
Prereq: ~ 3.93
Gre: Unknown yet
Appling to: Wayne State University

Members don't see this ad.

ps. Sorry if this seems like a question that should be answered with common sense. I'm just very confused because I want to make sure I get a very solid LOR (who doesn't, right). Does anyone know if you can actually read someone's LOR for you after they have submit it to PTCAS?

When you fill out your ptcas application, you have an option to waive your rights to see the letter of recommendation or you can choose to see it after it is written. However, if you do not waive your rights, the programs you apply for as well as your evaluator that writes the LOR will see that you opted to see your LOR, which may not look good to the schools.

I would not ask anyone at the private clinic where you shadow to write you a LOR. Since you only shadow, PTs there may not have much to say about you in terms of your personality and what kind of worker you are. I would ask a PT at the place you volunteer at. You said you do not really know the PTs though so I would try to get to know a few PTs more that work there, maybe PTs you work along side with the most. You want the PTs that write you a LOR to be able to say more than just you are a hard worker. You want them to be able to talk about other important things as well like your critical thinking skills, your personality, your interpersonal skills, ect. If you ask someone that does not know you as well, they will not be able to say as much in the LOR. Strike up conversations with them when they are not as busy and/or not with a patient to get to know them more. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might also try offering to take one of the PTs at each location out for lunch or coffee, in order to talk to them about the profession and allow them to get to know you better. Most PTs I've talked to are really enthusiastic about helping students out and would be happy to do this. Have some questions about the profession ready, and you can ask if they are willing to recommend you for your application at the same time. They have been through the same process so they understand the situation you are in.

Also, I agree that it is important to waive your right to see the recommendation letters.

When you fill out your ptcas application, you have an option to waive your rights to see the letter of recommendation or you can choose to see it after it is written. However, if you do not waive your rights, the programs you apply for as well as your evaluator that writes the LOR will see that you opted to see your LOR, which may not look good to the schools.

I would not ask anyone at the private clinic where you shadow to write you a LOR. Since you only shadow, PTs there may not have much to say about you in terms of your personality and what kind of worker you are. I would ask a PT at the place you volunteer at. You said you do not really know the PTs though so I would try to get to know a few PTs more that work there, maybe PTs you work along side with the most. You want the PTs that write you a LOR to be able to say more than just you are a hard worker. You want them to be able to talk about other important things as well like your critical thinking skills, your personality, your interpersonal skills, ect. If you ask someone that does not know you as well, they will not be able to say as much in the LOR. Strike up conversations with them when they are not as busy and/or not with a patient to get to know them more. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Ah, thank you! This is very helpful.

As you said, I also thought that asking the private clinic would be an issue as well. But would it be counterproductive if I asked 2 PTs from the same hospital to write me a letter, since we all work under the same setting?
I don't really know anyone else other than the PT's I have interacted with (either from the private clinic or the hospital) to write my a letter.

You might also try offering to take one of the PTs at each location out for lunch or coffee, in order to talk to them about the profession and allow them to get to know you better. Most PTs I've talked to are really enthusiastic about helping students out and would be happy to do this. Have some questions about the profession ready, and you can ask if they are willing to recommend you for your application at the same time. They have been through the same process so they understand the situation you are in.

Also, I agree that it is important to waive your right to see the recommendation letters.

The idea of asking a PT out for coffee has always been kind of daunting, since I know they're all very busy. However, I do see the necessity in that. I'll definitely take your advice and see if I can grab a chance to talk with the PTs a little bit more.

I just have a hard time judging, because I know there's a difference between being praised by someone and having them be able to write a very good letter.

Ah, thank you! This is very helpful.

As you said, I also thought that asking the private clinic would be an issue as well. But would it be counterproductive if I asked 2 PTs from the same hospital to write me a letter, since we all work under the same setting?
I don't really know anyone else other than the PT's I have interacted with (either from the private clinic or the hospital) to write my a letter.

I do not think that would be counterproductive.
Check to make sure though how many LOR you need for the schools you are applying for. It differs from school to school, but all of the schools I will be applying for only require 2 LOR, one from a professor and only one from a PT. If that is the case with the schools you apply for, you would only need one PT to write a LOR. You can find that info on the ptcas website if you do not know how many LOR you need.

I just have a hard time judging, because I know there's a difference between being praised by someone and having them be able to write a very good letter.

This is a key distinction. One PT I worked with loved me and offered to write me a recommendation, and I found out that it was a horribly-written, butt-ugly, hot mess. Sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches, and hope that at least one of your letters is well-written.

I do not think that would be counterproductive.
Check to make sure though how many LOR you need for the schools you are applying for. It differs from school to school, but all of the schools I will be applying for only require 2 LOR, one from a professor and only one from a PT. If that is the case with the schools you apply for, you would only need one PT to write a LOR. You can find that info on the ptcas website if you do not know how many LOR you need.

Yup, I checked and they want "ATLEAST one from a PT". I took that as I can have more recommendation letters from a PT. But I'll email the school and ask

This is a key distinction. One PT I worked with loved me and offered to write me a recommendation, and I found out that it was a horribly-written, butt-ugly, hot mess. Sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches, and hope that at least one of your letters is well-written.

Did they use slang?

I literally just died laughing while reading this.

Are you two married now?

Kevin