Hours/Experience Requirement for a College Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eightonesix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm in a rather unusual situation. I'm a college student with plans of enrolling in PA school after graduation. I understand that it's highly recommended and for some, required, to have hands-on patient care experience. The only kind of health care experience I have is working at a Pharmacy as a clerk at the moment, even then is not directly hands-on. I'm having trouble trying to find something that would help me gain some hours in hands-on patient care. The only things I can think of (that wouldnt require additional training/schooling as I'm already a full-time college student) is physical therapy aide or CNA. Are there any other possibilities that you all suggest?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm in a rather unusual situation. I'm a college student with plans of enrolling in PA school after graduation. I understand that it's highly recommended and for some, required, to have hands-on patient care experience. The only kind of health care experience I have is working at a Pharmacy as a clerk at the moment, even then is not directly hands-on. I'm having trouble trying to find something that would help me gain some hours in hands-on patient care. The only things I can think of (that wouldnt require additional training/schooling as I'm already a full-time college student) is physical therapy aide or CNA. Are there any other possibilities that you all suggest?

Thanks!

EMS seems to be a popular one as well.

There is a PA version of SDN called www.physicianassistantforum.com where you can find all the info you need on becoming a PA.:)

You'll need at least 1000 hours to be a competitive applicant, along with some shadowing. There are some schools that will admit students with less experience, but some say those schools aren't the greatest. PA school isn't like med school in easing students into patient contact situations and responsibilities, and the PA model was based on its students having background experience.

EMT, CNA, Medical Assistants, surgical tech, and respiratory therapists are common paths that PA students take get experience. A PT aide would work as well, depending on how hands on you are. Obviously EMT and CNAs are the quickest. Could you work as an EMT on campus?

Your experience as a clerk at the pharmacy may be accepted by some schools as health related experience, but schools definitely want to see extensive experience with direct patient related care.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
See what jobs are available in your area. I would have preferred to do EMT-B, but jobs are limited in my area, so I completed a CNA course. I now work at a hospital and I have learned a lot. Both courses can be completed over the summer and you can then work part-time while in school and full-time in the summer. You could also take a year off after undergraduate to work full-time to gain additional hours.

Thanks everyone for your input!

I think at the moment all I really can do is try to find something hands-on patient care related to meet the requirement. I unfortunately cannot work at an EMT on campus, and the closest thing I can think of is a PT aide/internship that allows me to be hands-on. The more I think about it, I think I will have to take a year off after I graduate just to meet this minimum.

Taking a year or two off is a GREAT thing, it'll allow you to decompress after graduating but also to get life experience before heading back into school again. It can be a very useful time if utilized correctly :)

PT Aide would be a great position because as far as I know, there's no education requirement (aside from maybe having a relevant major), it's learn as you go. However just make sure you're actually working with the patients as opposed to paperwork.

It seems like a step backwards to getting a college degree and then becoming a nurses aide or something afterwards. But I guess you gotta do what you gotta do..

It seems like a step backwards to getting a college degree and then becoming a nurses aide or something afterwards. But I guess you gotta do what you gotta do..

makes more sense to get health care experience while in college by working part time in a health care field.