Hours of clinical exposure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jyggaswoop

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. This goes out to everyone who got accepted. I was just wondering how many clinical/volunteering hours you guys had. I currently am sitting at a 3.5 gpa and hope to get it by 3.6 by next semester's end. During the semester I have to study for the mcat, shadow and volunteer at my local hospital because I wasn't pre med before this semester. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. This goes out to everyone who got accepted. I was just wondering how many clinical/volunteering hours you guys had. I currently am sitting at a 3.5 gpa and hope to get it by 3.6 by next semester's end. During the semester I have to study for the mcat, shadow and volunteer at my local hospital because I wasn't pre med before this semester. Thanks

Around 1500

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m definitely the black sheep for this answer. I only had 35 hours of shadowing and 0 hours of human clinical experience. I supplemented with 4000+ hours of animal clinical experience at a veterinary hospital. It’s made for some difficult interview questions, but I was able to snag two acceptances so far this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Like 32 shadowing and 75 clinical volunteering

I had 16 hours of shadowing, 150 hours of clinical volunteering, and 2,000 paid clinical

I’m definitely the black sheep for this answer. I only had 35 hours of shadowing and 0 hours of human clinical experience. I supplemented with 4000+ hours of animal clinical experience at a veterinary hospital. It’s made for some difficult interview questions, but I was able to snag two acceptances so far this cycle.

I’m extremely curious how you spun that one

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’m extremely curious how you spun that one

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I just have to clarify what human medicine has that, for me, vet med was lacking. They have similarities and differences, and my interviewers wanted to see that I could talk about both, and justify “why not vet med”.

Reactions: 1 user
I had roughly 400 emergency volunteer hours over a year and a half, 100 non-clinical volunteer and about 100 shadowing hours. Don't get discouraged by people here telling you they have a mountain of hours. Your application should be well rounded. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you have 10,000 hours as a CNA or scribe because that won't be your job. The purpose of this EC is to show longevity in your involvement and that you have a general idea of what clinical work environments look like.

Reactions: 2 users