House of God

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basupran

ortho, study, cars, lift
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What an amazing book. I am ~1/3 the way through, and I am really enjoying the reading. If medicine really is like this, then it is like everything else in this world. I have worked two jobs (full-time after college), and there would always be BS...things were BUFFED all the time to appease the higher ups....people spoke the way Fats spoke to the main character...everything seemed to be full of paradox, the more you cared, the less that happened.

The best piece of advice I found so far was in the begining when one of the main characters was stressing his charts. He couldn't get them perfect, so Fats comes in, and tell him to just write it as sh*#ily as possible. He explained that they were amongst the best, and no matter how shi&*y it came out, it would still come out good. This may help you all when it comes to essay writing, just let it out. No matter how shi*$y it may seem to you, it is a start.

I could see internship/residency become like this after everyone becomes comfortable with each other.

Anyways, awesome reading for all the premeddies... Shows you about being 'real'...

Author is Samuel Shem, can be had for $9.50 or so on Amazon.com, and $11.99 at the bookstore. If anyone in the Queens area is looking to order it for $9.50 from Amazon, I will order with you (you need to spend >$25 to get free shipping). I will pick up my book-Maximum Boost by Corky Bell.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I've been reading The House of God over break. It definitely gives a more real, less idealistic view of medicine and life as an intern/resident. It was written a while ago, so some of the situations portrayed in the book come from a different time. It's also a bit pessimistic and depressing at times, but so's medicine so be prepared for that. An excellent and useful read nonetheless.

tf

Are either of yall interns/residents/fellows? Ive been reading it, and since I dont have experiences similar to the characters, I am hard pressed in determining the degree to which certain situations are exaggeration. Its still a great read though, but I cant say Ive learned anything from it or plan on acting along those lines, because I have no idea about the extent to which they are joking at certain points.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, I've heard conflicting viewpoints on this book. While everyone agrees it is fascinating, some say read it before you start med school and some say don't even glance at it until after residency.

So what does everyone think? Read it now or not?

Cheers ;)

Originally posted by Cranius
Hmm, I've heard conflicting viewpoints on this book. While everyone agrees it is fascinating, some say read it before you start med school and some say don't even glance at it until after residency.

So what does everyone think? Read it now or not?

Cheers ;)

Well, I think as long as you consider it a work of fiction and satire its just another book. Im sure I am missing out on a LOT since I dont know anything yet, but its probably good to read now and then later down the line at some point.

Its definitely an entertaining book, and for that reason alone Id read it.

Originally posted by Gleevec
Are either of yall interns/residents/fellows? Ive been reading it, and since I dont have experiences similar to the characters, I am hard pressed in determining the degree to which certain situations are exaggeration. Its still a great read though, but I cant say Ive learned anything from it or plan on acting along those lines, because I have no idea about the extent to which they are joking at certain points.

Nope, I'm not yet a resident, let alone a medical student. My friends who have progressed to residency, though, tell me that the book's description of medical admissions and the procedural bull**** that docs have to go through is pretty realistic. However, they say that all the "shennanigans" of the House staff and physicians and some of the pessimistic views of the patient population (i.e. Gomers, LOLs, etc.) is comical satire. I guess we'll all find out soon enough anyway.

tf

read it now. you'll see why the first season of Scrubs was a poor ripoff of the book, you'll get a tongue-in-cheek view of the sense of humor required to plough your way through med school.

caveat. the book is hopelessly backward in its P.C.-ness.

I gotta say that, with some embelishment, this book does reflect a lot of the situations one faces in intern year and residency in general. Unfortunately, the part about the nurses and the call room are not really true anymore (at least not as much ;) ).

Good thing I chose radiology.

Hmm, everyone has their own opinions. I am sure the book exaggerates things a bit, but as they say, there is truth to every joke/exaggeration. I wouldn't practice medicine based on this book, but I would definitely read the book just for an enjoyable experience. I do have a feeling that certain aspects in medicine will be as described by Dr. Shem.

Another great, realistic book about medicine is Complications. It is written by a Harvard resident, I believe, and addresses all the "uncertainty" that exists in the field of medicine and how doctors are not as "perfect" as many people view them to be. The book was so interesting that I finished it in about 3 days . . . highly recommend it.