Housekeeping as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hospitalized

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I was completing my second year of college, I worked as a housekeeper in a hospital to help pay for my tuition and get exposure inside of a hospital. I tallied about 1200 hours over the course of a year. My question applies mostly to adcoms, how would you view this experience? I know it is unique -- and it has lead me to land a job as a medical scribe inside the emergency room. I am a male also, one of about 3 on housekeeping staff at the hospital I worked at.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think they both have their respective advantages. In housekeeping, I got to serve patients directly during day shifts. However, on night shifts/OR shifts I wouldn't see patients at all. One major advantage in housekeeping (I was a supplemental/float) is I got to work on all different floors of the hospital, seeing a variety of patient conditions. Also very neat to see the different work cultures on the floors of the hospital.

As a scribe I get to work with doctors while gaining medical terminology and clinical thought process exposure -- something that was foreign to me as a housekeeper.

I agree that housekeeping will be a bulk of my personal statement -- but what makes you say it is more valuable then being a scribe?