housing around davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finnpipette

Fallen from Grace
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
any current davis students live in dixon, woodlands, or w sac? how's the commute? i heard w sac borders a shady neighborhood? what's the info on that? thanks for any comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Not at Davis now, but graduated undergrad there in '01. I don't see how its changed much. Here's the deal, at least when I was there:

W. Sac: can be pretty sketch. I never spent much time there, but from what I know, it has some pretty shady areas. Its kind of an industrial type area: lots of industrial parks, the Port of Sacramento, etc. are there. Also, the commute into Davis can get interesting in the morning if there's an accident on the Yolo Causeway. But if the traffic is good, the commute is probably 15-20 minutes. On the other hand, it splits the difference between Davis, where the med school is, and Sac, where the hospital is.

Dixon: Never actually been there, but probably a decent place to live. The only downside to it I can see is that its west of Davis on I-80 (read: farther from Sac and UCDMC). Probably a 20 minute commute on I-80.

Woodland: Has good and bad areas. Not sure what areas of town the any of the apartments are in. Probably the best place to live if you want to commute to Davis. You just get on Hwy. 113, which at least when I was there almost never had traffic problems and 15-20 minutes later, you're there.

thanks for the advice nateatUC

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't want to live in any of those places unless you REALLY can't find housing in Davis or you are desperate to save some money. Davis is a nice town and you will probably regret it if you decide to live somewhere >15 min drive from campus.

If you are desperate for housing in Davis, let me know and I will try to give you a couple current leads.

Dont live in West Sac. Dixon, not so much.

Woodland is decent, and slightly cheaper than Davis rent-wise. Traffic isnt too to bad, but you'd be looking at around a 15 mins commute to the Med campus. If you can, try and stick around in Davis, although when I was in U-Grad there, it was like a 98% occupancy rate. Crazy. Tandem Properties has a buttload of apt complexes in town, maybe check them out. Happy hunting!

I'd stay in Davis if you can...West Sac is pretty sketch, just to reiterate what was stated in the aforementioned post.

If you get really, really desperate, let me know because my roommates and I might need a roomie next year, or I might be able to at least send you to our landlord who has quite a few properties.

Also, you won't want to commute from Sacto. Things are far easier on bicycles...that's the UCD way!