Housing at San Juan Bautista Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am looking for possible roommates interested in sharing an apartment starting in summer or fall 2008, who are attending SJB Medical school. Male or Female is fine and no preference for being from US or PR. If interested, please email Matthew: [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

I will probably be moving there with my wife. Have you found any good areas. its seems llike the zone sorrounding the school is not that great.

hey I'm also looking to rent a place male, female don't care... , I heard theres a website that posts all the apartments renting in that area!!! The houses for rent are supper cheap as well!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I am bringing my wife, my main concern is safety. Any good neighborhoods that you guys know about?

Hey Chaicos, I recomend that you call the school that you want to go and explain that to the them... I'm sure they will help you out!!!! (Housing)

Since I am bringing my wife, my main concern is safety. Any good neighborhoods that you guys know about?

there are 2 apartment complex named vista real I and II, they are very nice, clean, and safe... they have controlled access and they are 5 minutes away from the university...my uncle lives in vista real II and I really like it.

hey I'm also looking to rent a place male, female don't care... , I heard theres a website that posts all the apartments renting in that area!!! The houses for rent are supper cheap as well!!!

I am looking for possible roommates interested in sharing an apartment starting in summer or fall 2008, who are attending SJB Medical school. Male or Female is fine and no preference for being from US or PR. If interested, please email Matthew: [email protected]

I am interested in apts for rent as well as roommates (pref. from SJB). I will prob. move to PR around mid July. I saw some pictures of the Vista Real apts and they really do look nice.

Any of you guys/gals want to find a place to live? The professors I spoke with when I went to interview said the best thing to do is find a couple other students and live in a house or big apartment because they don't have many studio apartments in Caguas. I'm looking to rent a large apartment or house with like 3-5 rooms for the 2+ years I am there. I'm not sure if I'll have a car yet or not so I'd like to live pretty close to campus. The area is kind of outside town near the school but it seems safe enough.

I am interested in apts for rent as well as roommates (pref. from SJB). I will prob. move to PR around mid July. I saw some pictures of the Vista Real apts and they really do look nice.
Hey are you from the US? I'm starting down there in 2008 and will probably move down in June or July as well (deciding whether to travel this summer or go down there early to practicar espanol!). If you are looking for a roommate we could try to figure something out. How many people are you looking to live with?

Hey are you from the US? I'm starting down there in 2008 and will probably move down in June or July as well (deciding whether to travel this summer or go down there early to practicar espanol!). If you are looking for a roommate we could try to figure something out. How many people are you looking to live with?

Hey Matayo,

I've been living in MA (US) for almost 6 years now. I grew up in the island though, and my family still lives in PR. I will prob have a car there (you kinda need one) but I still want to live close to campus and pref. with other SJB students. Whether it is girls or guys I don't care as long as everyone is respectful & mindful of personal space, privacy, and study time. I was thinking a house or apt with 3-4 people total. Rent is fairly decent around there, so there is no need to complicate life with too many folks under the same roof. That way you avoid issues, excesive messyness, noise, or long wait times for the shower :scared:(or so one would hope) :p:laugh: There is a chance I will be going to PR for a long weekend in May and use that time to search/visit apts in the area so I can let you know what I find out.

I think you should travel :hardy: while you can as you prob. won't have much time after that. Plus you will have plenty of chances to practice your Spanish. I will probably move there around the end of July since I rather work and save as much as I can before school starts. It will be a tough transition going from Industry to being a student again!:scared::cool::)

---
Doc2Be2012

Hey Matayo,

I've been living in MA (US) for almost 6 years now. I grew up in the island though, and my family still lives in PR. I will prob have a car there (you kinda need one) but I still want to live close to campus and pref. with other SJB students. Whether it is girls or guys I don't care as long as everyone is respectful & mindful of personal space, privacy, and study time. I was thinking a house or apt with 3-4 people total. Rent is fairly decent around there, so there is no need to complicate life with too many folks under the same roof. That way you avoid issues, excesive messyness, noise, or long wait times for the shower :scared:(or so one would hope) :p:laugh: There is a chance I will be going to PR for a long weekend in May and use that time to search/visit apts in the area so I can let you know what I find out.

I think you should travel :hardy: while you can as you prob. won't have much time after that. Plus you will have plenty of chances to practice your Spanish. I will probably move there around the end of July since I rather work and save as much as I can before school starts. It will be a tough transition going from Industry to being a student again!:scared::cool::)

---
Doc2Be2012

Hey, I'm looking into selling my car and buying a new one (mine is wasting too much gas), do you recommend that we buy one there or in the states and then ship it to PR. I heard that it is more expensive to buy a car there... I want to make the right decision what do you recommend? I live in orlando so I'm estimating that it will cost me $600-$700 to ship it over.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm looking into selling my car and buying a new one (mine is wasting too much gas), do you recommend that we buy one there or in the states and then ship it to PR. I heard that it is more expensive to buy a car there... I want to make the right decision what do you recommend? I live in miami so I'm estimating that it will cost me $600-$700 to ship it over.

You are right, it is more expensive to buy a car there. They will tell you it is because of shipping costs & taxes, but there is still quite a markup on top of that. My brother got a Yaris in PR for about the same price I got my Acura in the states. I am considering shipping my car there as well (although for me the price ranges from $2000-3000 from MA). If you do decide to ship it be very careful who you go with, make sure they are trustworthy and that there is insurance for it. Otherwise you might lose out even more if something happens to your new car on the ride there (I've heard horror stories).

Members don't see this ad :)
You are right, it is more expensive to buy a car there. They will tell you it is because of shipping costs & taxes, but there is still quite a markup on top of that. My brother got a Yaris in PR for about the same price I got my Acura in the states. I am considering shipping my car there as well (although for me the price ranges from $2000-3000 from MA). If you do decide to ship it be very careful who you go with, make sure they are trustworthy and that there is insurance for it. Otherwise you might lose out even more if something happens to your new car on the ride there (I've heard horror stories).

thank you for the info!!! good luck with your car. :thumbup:

I was going to ask about that, but was going to wait until after I find out the results. Where did you all look to get quotes. I don't plan on getting a new car, evern though mine does use A LOT of gas (but I love it). It's a big SUV and I'd be coming from DC. Where should I look, and does anyone know about what I should expect to pay (without being ripped off), or if it's more cost effective to drive to FL then ship? Thanks!

I was going to ask about that, but was going to wait until after I find out the results. Where did you all look to get quotes. I don't plan on getting a new car, evern though mine does use A LOT of gas (but I love it). It's a big SUV and I'd be coming from DC. Where should I look, and does anyone know about what I should expect to pay (without being ripped off), or if it's more cost effective to drive to FL then ship? Thanks!

I'm afraid I might not be of much help. I am still not sure which company to use myself. I found a few places around MA online but still need to find out whether they are legit. I have heard of Navieras, apparently well known in PR. Lots of students use it to ship their cars to and from PR. I couldn't find an internet site for it but in many sites/blogs they do advertise their phone number.

Hey Guys,

Make sure you all join us in the allo forum.

I'm not going to have a roomate, I have an epileptic dog....so he and I will have our own place and maybe a little brother ;). I also haven't lived with someone in over a decade, so that's probably just one more adjustment. I am pretty social though, so if I have the space be prepared to be invited over for a group dinner or brunch :) From driving around I think I want to live somewhere between San Juan and Caguas (if accepted of course). I didn't encounter ANY traffic except when I got lost in Old San Juan by the coast....won't make that mistake again. So I'm comfortable commuting 20 mins or so to live in a place for 4 yrs+. I would love to buy a house for like 60-100k and maybe have a 700/month payment. That would be my ideal, and easy access to 18/52 and malls, beach, restraunts. I live in DC now so paying 700-800/month is unheard of :D, but because of my time here I definitly want to have easy access to restraunts and museums, etc. in PR. I heard that many students live closer to campus, but I couldn't tell if that meant they live in Caguas or just near by.

with regards to shipping cars...I live in s. Florida and was quoted $1,000 for a Ford Mustand and it is not allowed to have anything in it. Also I def. am interested in finding a roomate male or female...I'm 23, speak Spanish (From Spain), and clean =). If anyone is interested let me know...personally, I had a girlfriend in Med School here at my undergrad, and from what I saw 3-4 people is probably not a great idea for Med school....people have diff study styles and 3-4 people may be more unproductive than productive....but you never know...I'd like to shoot for a two bedroom so if anyone is thinking along those lines please let me know.

Thanks....looking forward to meeting you all/Tengo ganas de conoceros :D

For those of you coming to PR a car is a MUST as public transportation is not very dependable. Traffic jams in the mornings and afternoons are the norm so try to choose place taking that into account. By personal experience I can say that 4 people in living under one roof is not the best idea for medical school. With 4 people together, distractions and socializing will disrupt your study time or you will all just get in each other's way. The best arrangement is probably 2 people sharing an apartment.

Please let me know if you come across any decent priced companies for car shipment. We have a car in NY, but dont know exactly how to get it over to PR. If its too expensive we might just try and buy something in PR.

Try la Rosa del Monte..I'm going to ship my car with them..they already took my stuff to PR... they were very nice, and very professional. I have an SUV an is about $1,500 from Orlando...all depends on the car, year, etc.. they have a branch in NY...the real expensive part is the car tax in PR... this link would let you know how much is your car tax once it gets to PR..Hope this works!
http://www.hacienda.gobierno.pr/vehiculos/index.html

Please let me know if you come across any decent priced companies for car shipment. We have a car in NY, but dont know exactly how to get it over to PR. If its too expensive we might just try and buy something in PR.

Im having a hard time understanding the website that liripez gave me.Thanks by the way. Do you guys know of companies that have both english and spanish on their websites. I am not suave enough in spanish yet to not get jipped.:)

I'll be flying down to PR december 17th and be there till the 19th....I dont know anyone in PR and was wondering if anyone would mind I would be able to stay with them. I would rather pay to be with students than be on my own in a hotel somewhere. Please contact me if anyone can.

I'll be flying down to PR december 17th and be there till the 19th....I dont know anyone in PR and was wondering if anyone would mind I would be able to stay with them. I would rather pay to be with students than be on my own in a hotel somewhere. Please contact me if anyone can.

Ask jayme to hook you up with someone. Also we are officially on the allopathic site go there and email the current students.