Housing at UQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmacpac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok folks. I have spoken with Joenamma about this, but thought I'd open a new thread and see what everyone else thinks about this.

I am planning on attending UQ. There are some very good options off-campus and on-campus. Here are some of the pros and cons of each:

Pros of On-Campus living: very convenient to classes. Catered meals and cleaning svc provided by individual colleges, which means more time to study and less time cooking/cleaning.
Also another plus is utilities and internet are included in fees.

Cons of On-campus living: loud undergraduate environment. less privacy.

Pros of OFF-CAMPUS housing:
More privacy, and quieter living environment. Spacious apt for the same price as on-campus room.

CONS of OFF-CAMPUS housing:
-paying for internet.
-cooking and cleaning responsibilities.
-slightly distant to classes.

Can people please comment on my above break down, and make any open suggestions as to what their views are.

Also, if anyone knows of another alternative, will they kindly share it with us.

thanks in advance.:D

Members don't see this ad.

Frankly speaking the freedom of having your own apartment easily beats living a in a dorm, I actually live a bit outside of Brisbane, and I can get to Herston in 5 minutes by bus, about 15 minutes to St. Lucia.

As far as cooking, I actually enjoy this but now I have a female partner and she also likes cooking too. A great thing to have is an apartment with an outdoor deck, you can put a bbq there and you can make meals easy with one. UQ dorms are like prisons, if you want a nice organized student living environment I would suggest Southbank Campus or Campus Village, Southbank is close to St. Lucia.

Frankly speaking the freedom of having your own apartment easily beats living a in a dorm, I actually live a bit outside of Brisbane, and I can get to Herston in 5 minutes by bus, about 15 minutes to St. Lucia.

As far as cooking, I actually enjoy this but now I have a female partner and she also likes cooking too. A great thing to have is an apartment with an outdoor deck, you can put a bbq there and you can make meals easy with one. UQ dorms are like prisons, if you want a nice organized student living environment I would suggest Southbank Campus or Campus Village, Southbank is close to St. Lucia.

Hey JoenamaMD, was just wondering if you owned a car when you were a student, and your thoughts on getting a car either in Brisbane or Sydney. Pain or great tool?

Members don't see this ad :)
for those considering On-campus housing.....definitely check out International House and Union College. Both of these places offer more weeks for stay and their fees are abit lower.

I'd generally agree with your breakdown gmacpac, the only thing is that I'd qualify the "problem" of having to cook your own food being off campus with two things:
-Campus food is probably more expensive than what you would pay to buy and cook your own food (not sure, just my experience with boarding schools and such. They give you an allowance based upon an price of some $15 per meal per day. If that is how UQ does their meal price calculations, then it seems pretty clear that the average person probably wouldn't be spending ~$40 a day when buying/preparing the meals themselves. Assuming you're not dining on tenderloin every night.)
-Most campus meal plans are based on cafeteria-style dining, ie. unhealthy crap (if you're concerned about such things), unless of course you hang out at the salad bar.

If it seems i'm biased against campus living, you might not be too far off the mark. I'm headed to UQ in January, I've got a place lined up in Toowong, which is ~30min walk to campus (apparently), and when I get a bike probably only 10-15 min. I know the workload will be pretty hefty, but I can't imagine the time required to 'commute' to school and prepare my own food will preclude me from spending sufficient time studying.

As well, given that the cost of living is an issue for almost everybody, I'm not sure if on campus housing would be much cheaper, most seem to range between 11 and $14,000, which is based upon the standard academic year (not our longer medical year) and doesn't include additional fees which can be ~1,000 for some colleges. I'll likely be paying ~16,000 a year (assuming ~4000 for food), and I'd rather pay that little bit more for the luxury of not being surrounded by people that may be more interested in getting smashed than getting an education. Of course that only works out if you have a roomate you can get along with.

So if you can get a place reasonably close to campus with roomates you get along with, i'd argue you'd be better off doing that than getting campus housing.

I agree with Dumnaglass. I'm definitely not doing the on-campus housing. I'm looking for something close to campus with maybe a couple of roommates.

My main concern is having roommates or not having roommates. Not sure what is best. Any opinions? This is largely a personal decision I guess. It's cheaper with roommates but then roommates can be a pain too.

Also, I've heard the bus services are not that great in Brisbane. How much is a monthly bus pass in Brisbane anyways?

I think there are plenty of places walking distance to UQ. So if you're looking off-campus, you can probably find a decent place.

I personally like to be around people, but my experiences have been that roommates can be a pain when it comes to cleaning and doing their end of work in the apt. I dont like to add that aggravation to my studies.

I also agree with you on the added negatives of on-campus living. Campus food does stink, but I am just looking at the convenience factor of not having to cook for myself.

Also, International house and Union have longer stay periods included in their prices. Which may end up covering our curriculum's length.

Does anyone know where exactly lectures are held at UQ? Which building etc. This will give me an idea of looking at surrounding buildings.

Also, I've heard the bus services are not that great in Brisbane. How much is a monthly bus pass in Brisbane anyways?

Who told you this, its actually fairly efficient for a small city. I use the bus quite a bit, there are some areas where they do not go very often, but for the most part within inner Brisbane you won't have much of an issue getting around.

I would say avoid roommates unless they are other medical students and in the same year. Definitely avoid share accommodation with people who are not students.

I was looking at the Southbank Campus Apartments. Doesn't look too far from St.Lucia. Also, Dutton Park and Toowong are even closer. I'll look more at these areas.

Does anyone know where exactly lectures are held at UQ? Which building etc. This will give me an idea of looking at surrounding buildings.

I can't seem to find a "school of medicine" building on UQ's campus map.:rolleyes:

Rooming with others would probably decrease costs substantially. Any opinions? If I room with someone, it can't be with a huge group. I just wouldn't work well that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rooming with others would probably decrease costs substantially. Any opinions? If I room with someone, it can't be with a huge group. I just wouldn't work well that way.

May be you can room with another med student from Canada. You can get a 2 bedroom place and split the rent. I am assuming it will be cheaper for 2 people to share a place than living alone, but more costly if you live with 4 people.

From what i've seen, it depends on what you consider a substantial reduction in cost. I've seen some crazy looking dorm-style units with 10-12 independant rooms surrounding a common living area/kitchen that you can get for 7-800 a month, but then i've seen decent single room units that go for 1100 or so. It seems you can save yourself at most 3-400 a month depending on the number of roomates you take on (assuming you're looking at decent rental units, mind you I haven't seen much in the way of dingy appartments around st. lucia) but as far as I'm concerned whats an extra 3-4 grand a year when i'm already looking at spending ~200 grand for 4 years of med school.

I just called every co-ed and male only on campus accomodation last night. Apparently they offer single occupancy private en-suite catered and non-catered accommodation at pretty much every on-campus dorm (colleges as they call it in AU).

I am leaning towards living on-campus for at least 1 semester to keep the responsibility of cooking/cleaning out of my schedule, and then I will see where to find an off-campus apt. Total cost for full year prvt en suite and catered room is in the range of $16000, to $18,000. Yes its alot, but keep in mind you will not be spending any money on anything else. So I think it averages out.

May be you can room with another med student from Canada. You can get a 2 bedroom place and split the rent. I am assuming it will be cheaper for 2 people to share a place than living alone, but more costly if you live with 4 people.

That is an excellent idea, compared to Sydney and Melbourne, there aren't as many 1 bedroom and studio apartments in Brisbane, most are 2 bedroom units, usually go from 200 to 250 dollars or more a week(unless you plan to live in a luxury condo around the cbd). So living with one other person who is in school is not such a bad idea, especially if you like to study with others. Share accommodation can work out well if you know who your roommates are if you decide to live with total strangers, you could get mixed results. I made the mistake of living with undergraduate engineering students who I assumed would be quiet and that was not the case.

On a separate note, I was looking at Australian visa website. How long in general does it take to get a response from the AU embassy?

It depends on your citizenship, usually for US/Canadian citizens it takes only a few weeks to get this done. They let you apply online if you are a US/Can or citizen of another country that is Level 1 assessment. A good idea is to do it 8 weeks in advance. Also make sure your doctor does a complete checkup including HIV and chest X ray which is required if you are studying anything health related. The idiot who did my check up forgot the HIV and Xray and it delayed my visa.

Hey guys,

How early do you guys recommend coming to Oz before classes? I want to have enough time to look for accommodation. Do you think Jan.2 is too late? Oztrekk has planned a Group Flight for that time and I'm wondering if that's too late. Seems like all the accommodation may be taken up then!

Zuck

If you do not have prearranged housing, get there a minimum of two weeks before class starts. Even if you do have housing arranged I would still suggest you get to Australia early, you will have a lot of jet lag for the first few days.

Are there people going from USA? (NY or Boston?)

I guess it will be nice to go with other people as a group. It will be a good opportunity to know people before hand.

Are there people going from USA? (NY or Boston?)
quote]

American here. Down in Mississippi, not exactly NY or Boston haha. You on Facebook group for UQ? I've been posting here and there if there any Americans going. It looked liked I was the only one until I read your post.

American here. Down in Mississippi, not exactly NY or Boston haha. You on Facebook group for UQ? I've been posting here and there if there any Americans going. It looked liked I was the only one until I read your post.

Yep, I'm an American. I thought I was the only one going from USA as well. I don't know how your flight is going to work out, but do look forward to meeting you there.

I am on FB. PM coming your way.

I am American too, will probably go to UQ. I think regarding housing, it will be a lot more comfortable to have your own apartment or studio rather than live in a dorm or a sharehouse. Sharehouses can be good if you know your housemates. Seems like 200AUD not including electricity and gas a week seems to be the norm for a unit near the city center. I saw Unilodge but it seems tiny and ridiculously overpriced.

Cool.

Are you planning on taking USMLE? or are you staying in AU after graduation?

I am planning to take the USMLE but I would prefer to stay in Australia for work.

I could tell you one thing. If you are looking for peace and quiet and a clean living environment....avoid share accommodation, especially with undergraduate students. Rent a studio or your own apartment. I have noticed sharerooms in inner Brisbane and St. Lucia are almost as expensive as whole apartments in the outskirts of Brisbane.

Be really wary of advertisements on UQ's website, renting from individuals can be risky, there is no way to verify that the person advertising is the owner. The best way to avoid this is to deal with a realtor or a corporate housing provider that caters to students.

Last edited:
Is $1000/month a lot for a studio apartment in near UQ? Includes everything (utilities, and Internet).
With full 1 year lease.

From what i've been able to find, $1000 a month is quite reasonable, especially for a studio. Single person accomodation seems to go for about $1000-1200 a month, especially near st. lucia. I'm paying $1000 for a 2-room apartment in Toowong (20-30 min walk to campus), and I hope that includes everything.

From what i've been able to find, $1000 a month is quite reasonable, especially for a studio. Single person accomodation seems to go for about $1000-1200 a month, especially near st. lucia. I'm paying $1000 for a 2-room apartment in Toowong (20-30 min walk to campus), and I hope that includes everything.

So Dunmaglas, for 1000$ a month are you getting the whole apartment or just one of the two rooms? and do you think there will be a lot of single room or studio apartments available for, say, Jan. 1st?

If that is in Australian dollars that would be the norm for the area next to the university. Most of the premium real estate in Brisbane tends to be near the water and St. Lucia is right alongside the river. I pay about that much for a house but I live in Bus Zone 3 which is in the suburbs not the city. General pattern of prices in Australia are that rents will be highest closest the city center or near a body of water.

So Dunmaglas, for 1000$ a month are you getting the whole apartment or just one of the two rooms? and do you think there will be a lot of single room or studio apartments available for, say, Jan. 1st?

Sorry, should have been more specific. The $1000 is my share of the rent, so I assume the 2-bedroom place is ~2000 a month. As for when rental units will become available, I'm not sure. You may wish to contact an agent in Brisbane to find out if there are trends in availability. My assumption is that rental units that typically go to University students should be available after the end of november when most of school is out. Summer school seems to end in January, so I would think rental availability should be quite good as the majority of students would likely not be picking up rental accomodation until the end of february.

Okay, I am confused about ON-CAMPUS housing.

Does it matter academically which college I choose? Because on speaking to the secretary of King's College, I was told that many faculty members at UQ are "Kingsmen".

Does it really matter if I live at King's vs. any other residence hall????

(I know I sound pretty silly, but hey....no question is a stupid question!!!..right?)

No its just a British/Australian thing. Didn't you see Van Wilder 2??

No its just a British/Australian thing. Didn't you see Van Wilder 2??

No I didn't.

Can anyone comment on which one of these 4 colleges offer better living accommodation:
1. King's college
2. Emmanuel College
3. St. Leo's College
4. International House

I have heard that some USA/Canadians are living in Kings and Emmanual, so it will be nice to know which house to chose for overall better living.

I don't know about those ones but I'm Canadian and I applied to Union College...

I don't know about those ones but I'm Canadian and I applied to Union College...

I follow certain dietary restrictions, and ONLY the above 4 colleges are willing to cater according to my dietary needs.

Also, is it true that King's College has the best food?

I was reading in another thread that the dorms typically don't have air conditioning. Do the appartments? I don't really want to share a house or anything, so that is pretty much out of the question. I will just need a place with air, because leaving a window open doesn't work for me.

Is it hard to get off campus housing as a non-citizen? I'll have a visa of course, anything beyond that that is needed? Sorry if its a dumb question, I haven't even had to pay for my own housing yet here in the US, so I don't know what all you have to do.

CONS of OFF-CAMPUS housing:
-paying for internet.

uhhh sorry but thats a wrong one :D
u'd pay MORE to use the internet supplied by UQ than paying for it off-campus :oops:

on-campus housing can get noisy though... depends on your luck :rolleyes: