Housing during away rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warpath

Officer Cadet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'll be going for ENT next year. I'm looking into doing an away rotations. I'm considering Michigan, Penn, University of Washington, and Pitt. Has anybody done an away rotation in any of these places (doesn't have to be ENT)? How do you go about finding cheap housing? Do some of the schools help you out, and how much should I expect to spend? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have noticed that some schools mention on their website about offering housing or being able to help you locate housing. Others seem to leave it to you to figure out. I'd suggest checking out the webpages for each of the places you are interested in and looking for a section about "visiting students" and see if there is any mention. Either way, I bet once you get in contact with their student affairs and get all the paper work moving along they will be able to assist you in some way.

I did a few months away in San Francisco, and found great housing on Craigslist.
They have listings for mot large cities, and if youre looking for housing in a smaller town, run a search using the smaller town's name on the craigslist page for the larger city nearby. Example: When my sister was moving to Boulder I searched under Denver's Craiglist page and entered the term Boulder (even though its 45min away) Anyway - Ive found lots of affordable temporary housing on that site, and many of the users are people like us so its been user friendly - neat locations, etc. Good luck!

www.craigslist.com

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Ergo,
Thanks for the site. Looks like it's gonna be very helpful.

I stayed with a friend in LA, and used craigslist.org for Boston housing.

No problemo!