Housing for future UHSers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rellik

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys:

My wife and I recently made atrip to KC to check out the housing situation. We are palnning to purchase and think we have it narrowed down to the North KC and Liberty areas. They seem to be the places where we can get the most for the money within a student's budget (approx. $80-115K).

Does anyone have any input about these areas (i.e., good to live in, shopping, close to school and clinical rotation hospital etc..)? We have not made the decision yet. We will make "buying trip" once our current house sells.

Thanks for any input :)

Members don't see this ad.

Me and my SO have been house shopping in KC as well. Currently I work with a software company from KC and they've given me some input on locations around town. So here's my $0.02: North KC is not a bad suburb and it's very close to the UHS. There's a difference between Kansas City North and North Kansas City BTW. Liberty is a somewhat strip-mall-drab type of suburb. Not sure about the schooling, etc though in case you had any munchkins. We're planning on buying in Johnson Co, Kansas. It's one of the wealthiest counties in the US (IT industry) so the neighborhoods house a wealthier population, but surprisingly you can find really affordable housing. Unfortunately it will require a longer commute to UHS, though. As far as price range, we're looking to buy in the same ballpark as you and our realtor posts about 30 new houses on our website everyday that meets those prices. Usually it's split-levels or ramblers that are 30-50 years old. Shawneee Mission, KS area, I hear, has the best schooling for the young ‘n's and is either in or around Johnson Co. Hope this helps. We'll see ya this Aug!

Thanks, Drewdo.

We thought about Johnson Co., KS, but thought that the commute to the clinical location on the far east side of the city would be more than what I wanted. I just don't think I'll have that much time to my self and family. I'd just rather not spend it on the road. Have you thought about this? I am curious, b/c I could be missing something. I certainly agree that the Prairie Village area is very nice. I just wonder how practical.

r

My wife and I were just out there last week with the sole purpose of buying a house. We were successful in our endeavor, purchasing a 3BR ranch style in Prairie Village. We looked at A LOT of houses in many parts of the city and decided that the most important factor was location--thus, Prairie Village. We purchased for ~110K. We were very pleased with our agent, she totally went out her way for us out-of-towners. I wish you the best in your home search and hope that this input is of help.