housing for ucsf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entropy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know ucsf doesn't have its own housing,
where do most students and residents live?

Members don't see this ad.

Entropy,

While I'm not sure where the students/residents reside, I'm sure it's in the hellish apartment system in San Francisco. Just be forewarned that rent in SF is about $800 for a couch in someone's 300 sq ft studio apartment.

Best of luck.

Entropy --

Feel free to email me, but the short answer is that most people live in apartments either near UCSF (more expensive) or within the city or in the East Bay (not recommended) and use public transportation to get to school. There's no parking around school and students can't get permits, so think public transportation or walking or biking to school. Most people live within walking distance. And, some people live in student housing (waiting lists for these accomodations) - either single student housing or for couples and/or families (marriage not a requirement; same sex partners are eligible for this housing option). If you want info on the close neighborhoods and what rents are looking like, let me know - I am in the process of finding a new place myself. Rents definitely have gone down, but they are still outrageously expensive. Anyway, best of luck to you. See you in the fall,

Becky

The UCSF website has info on housing, both university owned and private. The lottery for university housing happened in March, so if you are accepted and want to share a bedroom with another student (there are no singles first year unless you have a family), get on the waiting list. Otherwise, they run a community housing bulletin. Most people in SF find housing on their own, it can take a solid 2 months if your budget is small and want things like a kitchen. Try craigslist.org for listings, and if you are getting close to starting and haven't found a place yet, pony up the money for the private listing companies (60-100ish), they have more leads.