housing for UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soontobe2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I will be attending UCSF next fall, and I would love some advice on places to live from students currently attending UCSF. I was thinking about the university owned apartments (like mission bay, avenue, etc), but was wondering if the price is decent or if living in a non university apartment would be cheaper. I would love any and all advice on housing options at UCSF! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm excited about this, too. I was thinking maybe Avenue, but I'm not too sure yet. I talked to PDizzle a while back, and it seems like the Psi Omega frat housing would be kinda cool. I'm just wondering when the earliest dates would be for move-in at either university housing or the Psi Omega house.

July, and yes, University housing is generally cheaper than renting a room elsewhere. The avenue are more competitive, but mission bay has free shuttles to and from campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm a pre-dental post-bach who lives in SF. I don't know much about university housing, but here's a good link. http://www.campuslifeservices.ucsf.edu/housing/

I've lived in SF for years and I work at UCSF. I agree with the comment about the Mission Bay shuttles. In SF, the less dependent you are on public transportation, the better. It's great, but not that great. Like someone above said, you will be time-pressed and and waiting for a shuttle or a muni-train is annoying! I lived in the Inner Sunset (the neighborhood where the Parnassus Campus is) for a year. It is very safe. Now, it IS very foggy and cold there, but it's safe and quieter than other neigborhoods. Live as close to the campus as possible. Also, try www.craigslist.org for another way to find apaprtments. Don't rent from Citi Apartments. If you do live in the inner sunset, stay north of Moraga, east of 15th. Staying east of 12th would probably be the best for walking. The other good things about the inner suset are that it is near the Golden Gate Park and has decent restaurants.