Housing in Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ixitixl

Step 1 studysaurus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much time do you think is required to find decent housing in the Chicago area, commuting distance from UIC. I have a car so it doesn't have to be central or well connected by public transporation.

Members don't see this ad.

start looking online, then pick a few places that you like. around uic, there are a few "big" realtors that rent out properties.

most of the 1st and 2nd years live close to campus, since you spend almost all of your time there. the neighborhood west of campus (from ogden to western) is cheaper but some parts of it are really sketchy. east of campus and all the way to the east campus on halsted is a little more expensive but is a nicer area in general.

i would avoid taylor place (now named city view, i believe) on taylor and ashland like the plague. the rents there are ridiculous and the units aren't worth it.

m3s and m4s tend to scatter across the city, usually northwards into wicker park, bucktown, lincoln park, with some in streeterville and the gold coast (pricier areas).

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you know that UIC has on-campus apartments for medical students? Apparently it's a fairly decent deal for the area and one student told me that about half the class lives there the first year.

Hope this helps.

Varies from year to year, but it is rather convenient living in SSR (Single Student Residence). It's populated mainly by grad students (med, pharm, dental, and more). The facilities are a little old but serviceable. I personally lived there for 2 years before moving into an outside apartment; it's nice to be able to roll out of bed 10 minutes before class and walk a block to school.