Housing options in Baltimore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drobgyn32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, next year I will be attending med school in Baltimore. I'm OOS so I have no idea of appropriate and safe areas of live in Baltimore downtown or 10-15 minutes away. Any advice would be most appreciated!! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, next year I will be attending med school in Baltimore. I'm OOS so I have no idea of appropriate and safe areas of live in Baltimore downtown or 10-15 minutes away. Any advice would be most appreciated!! Thank you.
I want to assume Hopkins (if so, congratulations!!!, but if not, still, congratulations!! *only two exclamation points for the sake of being a fan), but I actually haven't been in that area for quite some time, is there a D.O. or other M.D. school (or extension campus??) located there? (I'm joking) If Hopkins, have you talked with current students regarding your q?

Actually UMD, but thank you :) I really want to talk to current students but they arent really responsive on past years' school specific forums, and there isnt a facebook group set up yet.
I bet your school has a housing advisor or advisors specifically for medical students. You should check on there, first. I really haven't been in the area (that wasn't a joke) for some time, so I can't necessarily say specifically that a particular address is a bad idea, just generalizations that probably most people who live in the area can tell you. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a UMD student but I know many people there and used to live a few blocks away. While there are housing options immediately around the school, a LOT of students choose to live in Fed Hill where I lived. It's nicer, much much safer and has more of a neighborhood/community feel. Lots of people in their 20s renting nice sized row houses for very reasonable rent. UMD has a free student shuttle that runs through the neighborhood about 1-2x an hour to get to class and the hospital (I used to take a class on the campus and always used it. You can also ride a bike to campus. The walk is maybe 20 or so minutes but you don't want to do it alone at night.

Reactions: 1 user
My wife did part of her residency there and lived a few blocks from UMMC with two other female residents... and felt perfectly safe. It's a city... just need to keep it mind.

Last edited:
OP, sent you a conversation since your profile is not set up to allow DM

I would like to know as well. I was accepted this cycle & will join the FB group once I’m 100% sure I will attend. (I’m in-state MD).

Btw most people call it UMSOM since UMD is the undergrad here

There’s also the question of roomies. I guess we’ll have to figure it out as more people join the group!

Baltimore is tough as even nice neighborhoods are right next to not-so-nice ones, so its important to see in person. Here are a couple of areas:

- Fed hill is nice - maybe a little pricier as it has gotten nicer, but good restaurants, bars, and lots of younger people.
- Bolton hill is near downtown -- maybe not as nice and but might be more affordable.
- Hampden is cool -- hipster part of town but easy transpo like a dedicated shuttle is probably lacking.
- Farther out is Mt. Washington and the more northern areas (including up to Towson) which might be a bit far but you may get more bang for the buck. Also, some are on the light rail which could make it easy to get in-and-out.
- Near Hopkins Homewood (Charles village, Remington, etc...) the neighboorhoods are not bad (relatively speaking) with decent rental options, but transportation might be a problem.
- Roland park is really nice - if I had to live in the city again, it would probably be there - a little more space and nice neighborhoods.
- Pig town near the stadium is supposed to be up-and-coming. Not sure what that means these days.

As suggested earlier, the med school should be able to provide some guidance. But you need to make sure that you visit and get a chance to see what is around the corner and a block away. You could also use something like Zillow to see relative property values which probably gives you a clue as to how desirable a particular area is to live in.

Good luck and stay safe!

- chooks

I have friends who went to pharmacy and med school there...I'm pretty sure they also have on campus housing options if you're worried about finding areas with lots of students/close to school