Housing situation - what would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lbgem

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got into Boston U for the MAMS program. Coincidentally, my fiance's parents live about ten miles from the campus. They've offered to let me stay for free out of the kindness of their hearts.

Would you take it? Being 10 miles away, not to mention I've heard horror stories about living with mother-in-laws (or soon to be mother-in-laws anyways). The last thing I want is a stressful semester and an ex-fiance, but the free rent is pretty tempting. Any of you have similar experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an awesome job offer this summer in a Chicago hospital working with one of my good friends parents, who is a renowned ER doc. They offered to let me stay with them, but I gratefully declined. Free rent is sweet no doubt, but surrendering independence for a summer was not really something I was willing to do. Let alone for a year or two while in an SMP. Ultimately, I suppose it depends on how comfortable you are with them and the living situation, but your concerns are valid (mother in law, etc). I decided not to stay with my friend's parents because I prefer to live alone, but I also didn't want to get into any sticky situations and ruin my friendship. Although living with a friends parents is not nearly as serious as your fiance's parents, I would consider all of the issues before deciding to move in with them... Good luck.