How "about" is "about X characters"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genghis99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Case is asking for "1 page, about 3500 characters" for its secondary and I have 4100 (a page and 3 lines). It's about my research, so it's hard to cut down without neglecting some part of the question. Is it fine to submit a little over the limit here?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you able to fit the entire piece into the space provided? Usually there is a point where it cuts off. You’re missing the suggested length by almost 20%. In my opinion, the first rule of applying to medical school is to follow directions so I would definitely cut things down.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly this might be an unpopular opinion but I would say general rule of thumb is not to go over. Maybe like 20 over or something but not 600 over. I see it more OK to have 3300 characters and not just add more fluff to make it to 3500 than going way over. Maybe nothing to it, but my personal opinion is being able to write succinctly is a noteworthy skill. Almost always there are ways to cut down without losing value.

Reactions: 1 users
Case is asking for "1 page, about 3500 characters" for its secondary and I have 4100 (a page and 3 lines). It's about my research, so it's hard to cut down without neglecting some part of the question. Is it fine to submit a little over the limit here?
It is about your research? You can absolutely cut information out.

Reactions: 2 users
Less is more. Leave out the research details. Broad strokes. If they want to know, they’ll ask. And they probably don’t, and won’t.
I can describe the groundbreaking research I’ve been involved with over 20 years in about 3 lines. Maybe 4. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users