How accurate are EKG readings by computers?

Started by Dock1234
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dock1234

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm premed and little confused about this. Some people say that they are awful and some say that they are better than senior cardiologists at reading EKGs. So how is it really?
 
Generally they're fairly decent. Since they're computers they are good at calculating things such as intervals, QTc, axis and I usually trust those interpretations.

The trouble comes when you're interpreting whether those anterior ST segments are repolarization abnormalities or actual ischemic ST elevations, which the computer is not as good at.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
some say that they are better than senior cardiologists at reading EKGs
Who in the world says that? That's just absurd.
I agree with the comment that they are more sensitive than specific. If the computer interpretation is that the EKG is normal, then it is almost certainly normal. It tends to be fairly abysmal when it comes to rhythm recognition. ST changes are hit-and-miss.
 
Their major weak spot is with arrhythmias in my experience.

I really think you can't trust the interpretation much except for numbers like rate, intervals.